Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

Yes I agree. I think we owned a fair chunk of that 2nd bend that night. 

I stood on the second bend that night too. Smethick accents all around m!! 

1 hour ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

I stood on the second bend that night too. Smethick accents all around m!! 

Be no Smethwick accent to my knowledge. But tons of Wolverhampton ones and maybe a Bruumie one :D

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

Yeah, I think it was your groans that caused PK to fall off in heat 13 when he and Freddie were about to be 5-1’d!

Superb call from the ref that night.

• Haha 1

So tonight at Poole it was announced that Poole are away at Swindon on 22 August despite it not being listed in the programme. Any confirmation Swindon fans?

20 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So tonight at Poole it was announced that Poole are away at Swindon on 22 August despite it not being listed in the programme. Any confirmation Swindon fans?

That date is on the Swindon fixture list

13 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

That date is on the Swindon fixture list

As indeed it is on the BSPA website and the September 19 has been taken off!!;)

14 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Rearranged after the cup matches against Belle Vue were set as 12th Sept & 19th Sept

Premiership have 1st call.

Just read the Adver, financial losses again at The Abbey again this season. Terry saying apart from the Belle Vue match, there hasn't been that good a turnout. Hopefully better crowds in August and 2 finals will reduce the losses. Perhaps need one league and part-time riders to save the sport.

4 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Just read the Adver, financial losses again at The Abbey again this season. Terry saying apart from the Belle Vue match, there hasn't been that good a turnout. Hopefully better crowds in August and 2 finals will reduce the losses. Perhaps need one league and part-time riders to save the sport.

Unfortunately, British speedway can afford to pay no more than £40k to £80k per rider.

Which is about the same as the footballers of Swindon Town FC, which has crowds of £6,500.

16 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Really gutting the management have done a great job they deserve better the racing has been excellent this year.I must admit the crowds have not looked good on the eye but the numbers on the old cheap side have gone up.Speedway has to start planning for changes in October heads  out of the sand and try and come up with some answers maybe the decline is terminal though.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Really gutting the management have done a great job they deserve better the racing has been excellent this year.I must admit the crowds have not looked good on the eye but the numbers on the old cheap side have gone up.Speedway has to start planning for changes in October heads  out of the sand and try and come up with some answers maybe the decline is terminal though.

Watching Kings Lynn twice in quick succession & now Wolves doesn’t help.

Why you run both A & B fixtures against teams before even riding the A fixture of others is equally crazy.

• Like 3

The problem is, speedway in its entirety is in disarray. It’s governed by people who have no business nous and surrounded by incompetence. 

Year after year we’ve seen the product gradually watered down, and only the hardy and loyal folk continue to attend.  Over inflated wages in this and most other sports are crippling speedway, whilst the cost of living rises and wages remain stagnant. 

I don’t have the answer, but maybe those (if they are still with us) from the early to mid seventies when speedway was thriving, could assist everyone with the odd tip and advice. 

Just looked at the averages Ellis Perks only averaging 2.92 ??? totally shocked.He has rode well rode hard and has impressed me those figures are so false.

• Like 1