British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Does Bacon have a Premiership average as his 2019 Peterborough average is 4.78 and Shanes is 3.15, therefore I don't think he fits?

Good spot. I was working on his 4.55 which he started the year on. So basically he would have fitted until today. Often the difference between winners and losers is the winners do not hesitate when an opportunity arises.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Good spot. I was working on his 4.55 which he started the year on. So basically he would have fitted until today. Often the difference between winners and losers is the winners do not hesitate when an opportunity arises.

I dont think you could make a change after 2 home meeting's that would be pretty harsh. Also the reserves this year are all able and even if Tom came in i would not expect many points from him.

8 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I dont think you could make a change after 2 home meeting's that would be pretty harsh. Also the reserves this year are all able and even if Tom came in i would not expect many points from him.

I agree it would be incredibly harsh, but we also have to accept the possibility that at this stage in his career Shanes is not a Premiership calibre rider.

12 minutes ago, MattK said:

I agree it would be incredibly harsh, but we also have to accept the possibility that at this stage in his career Shanes is not a Premiership calibre rider.

Maybe it is me Matt but the reserves look pretty strong, we see that with Heeps/ Allen certainly stronger than in  recent years.

24 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Maybe it is me Matt but the reserves look pretty strong, we see that with Heeps/ Allen certainly stronger than in  recent years.

There is no doubt that some teams have very strong reserves. The problem is, when Heeps and Allen move into the main 1-5, who will replace them? Certainly in Ipswich's case their lowest averaging 1-5 riders are King and Bellago. I can't see our reserve fairing any better against those two than they did against Heeps and Allen.

The other issue is that we are effectively carrying three riders. We knew this would be a risk with such a top heavy team, but the consequence of this strategy is that it requires tough choices to avoid a very long tail of riders who only pick up points from each other.

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Also Matt because of a average rule was Drew Kemp stopped riding Prem as well  this year.? Would Bacon maybe  get a reduction  because he is a Brit.?

I think it only affects riders who didn’t qualify for a 3 point average at the start of the year. Kemp was an assessed 2 in the Championship? 

Probably qualifies once he has a true average. 

Id be amazed if Bacons true championship average allows him to replace Shanes, however with the way the rolling averages are worked out means anything is possible!

8 minutes ago, MattK said:

There is no doubt that some teams have very strong reserves. The problem is, when Heeps and Allen move into the main 1-5, who will replace them? Certainly in Ipswich's case their lowest averaging 1-5 riders are King and Bellago. I can't see our reserve fairing any better against those two than they did against Heeps and Allen.

The other issue is that we are effectively carrying three riders. We knew this would be a risk with such a top heavy team, but the consequence of this strategy is that it requires tough choices to avoid a very long tail of riders who only pick up points from each other.

Lampart i believe can do his bit 4/5 points most meeting's we need Zach to kick on i believe in him and longterm he will be a great asset to have.

31 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Lampart i believe can do his bit 4/5 points most meeting's we need Zach to kick on i believe in him and longterm he will be a great asset to have.

I agree, Zak is an investment long term and needs a chance to fit his feet at this level. Lampart, I'm not so sure. I'll be polite and says he's inconsistent!

12 minutes ago, MattK said:

I agree, Zak is an investment long term and needs a chance to fit his feet at this level. Lampart, I'm not so sure. I'll be polite and says he's inconsistent!

I put Lampart in the  position like a Wells at Belle Vue a real tough ask in the top five and  with our reserves Dawid will be there all season.So 4/5 points most weeks will do me actually at home he has done ok fingers crossed i suppose.

• Like 1

I think James Shanes deserves a break. We even have someone who spent most of last season saying Swindon should sign him already talking about him being dropped.

The fact is there is a minimum average of 3.00 this year, with no rider below that eligible for the top flight. Whoever comes in at 7 for Swindon is going to struggle, virtue of being the lowest averaged ridrr in the league.

Do people really think Tom Bacon could come in and start beating the likes of Bradley Wilson-Dean? At least give James a chance before calling for his head. Swindon have a very strong top 3, and because of that other teams have had to go with a more solid line up.

Any 3 pointer will find points hard to come by, and the best way is to stick with James and help get him up to speed. I thought he rode ok against Ipswich, even if the points aren't there yet.

Zach and Dawid have started to score a few now. Who's to say James can't start soon. The level the league is this year, any opposition rider he beats will be a good result.

At least wait until David Bellego drops low enough to come in!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I think James Shanes deserves a break. We even have someone who spent most of last season saying Swindon should sign him already talking about him being dropped.

The fact is there is a minimum average of 3.00 this year, with no rider below that eligible for the top flight. Whoever comes in at 7 for Swindon is going to struggle, virtue of being the lowest averaged ridrr in the league.

Do people really think Tom Bacon could come in and start beating the likes of Bradley Wilson-Dean? At least give James a chance before calling for his head. Swindon have a very strong top 3, and because of that other teams have had to go with a more solid line up.

Any 3 pointer will find points hard to come by, and the best way is to stick with James and help get him up to speed. I thought he rode ok against Ipswich, even if the points aren't there yet.

Zach and Dawid have started to score a few now. Who's to say James can't start soon. The level the league is this year, any opposition rider he beats will be a good result.

I have to agree. Give the kid a break, he's riding with an injury at the moment & we don't seem to be suffering carrying weaker reserves. The team was chosen to be top heavy by Rosco & I trust his judgement. Come on folks, you're beginning to sound like "Poole Whingers"! The teams done well so far.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, robins les said:

I have to agree. Give the kid a break, he's riding with an injury at the moment & we don't seem to be suffering carrying weaker reserves. The team was chosen to be top heavy by Rosco & I trust his judgement. Come on folks, you're beginning to sound like "Poole Whingers"! The teams done well so far.

Totally agree Les the team has started well and i believe we can get better as the season goes along.The  positive thing for me is we have lost two close away matches and came away with a point that augurs well for the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

While at the same time keeping an eye on Stefan Nielsen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

While at the same time keeping an eye on Stefan Nielsen.

Nielsen for Bellego likely, not for Shanes. Average too high.

6 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Nielsen for Bellego likely, not for Shanes. Average too high.

He was on a lower PL average than Zach at the start of the season!