British Speedway Forum

If I was a Sheffield Speedway fan I would be very concerned at running on Sundays as that will mean most meetings follow a Saturday evening Stock Car meeting and while I am a fan of both sports I do not think it good to have the bikes on a track that the cars have raced on under 24 hours earlier! Look at the problems they have had at both Mildenhall and Stoke in that respect. 

I suppose it is possible that the cars will only run on weekends that the bikes are not running a home meeting but that will take a fair amount of give and take by both sides which I can see being a potenial problem.

The reason why both sports were so good at Coventry was that they always had plenty of time to prepare the track and in any case Brandon was a tarmac track with a few grains of shale on top for most car meetings.

Well that's me done for Sheffield on a Sunday. Looks like Belle Vue for me live speedway in future

Went to the majority of home meetings and sponsored one rider whom definitely won't be able to ride Sundays.

Certainly disappointing from my position changing race nights 

1 hour ago, tyke said:

Well that's me done for Sheffield on a Sunday. Looks like Belle Vue for me live speedway in future

Went to the majority of home meetings and sponsored one rider whom definitely won't be able to ride Sundays.

Certainly disappointing from my position changing race nights 

If you want to make an omelette you have to break some eggs ;-) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

Cars don't run on Saturdays at Sheffield,it's a dog night.

Opps, I had forgotten that. Means it is bikes or cars every Sunday which will work well for track preparation but rain offs could cause problems as the cars fixtures have been planned and advertised from February. The two sports will have to work together to ensure both sides are happy. 

14 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

One home one away ? Great can't wait. 14 meetings  presume stock cars take bank holiday Sunday's ? People always say track prep is difficult for Sunday afternoon meetings. I would expect that's when we will be racing as statement mentions kids getting to bed at a reasonable time.The main thing is we have a good team to follow.lets hope we get that right this time.

It surely can't be much more difficult than Thursdays have been the last couple of years, with the dog racing on Thursday afternoon meaning the track staff weren't able to get on until 6.30pm. 

Maybe Sundays was the best option available - as well as the fixed race night, Sheffield also have to deal with availability (or not) of Owlerton, which seems to have been getting more difficult as years go by. Re the stock cars, Tigers wouldn't be racing every week anyway with only meeting other teams once, and possibly having to race away some Sundays.

Another possibility is that more away fans may be able to travel on Sundays. As it happens, Sunday is better for me, although I am lucky in that I have a job where I don't work evenings or Sunday.

Unfortunately it's make or break for the sport as a whole, and promoters need to look at trying to get new younger fans in.  I'm not entirely convinced they're out there waiting to be converted, but we'll see. 

I can also understand the reluctance to go Premiership immediately after this season just gone. 

11 hours ago, spin king said:

I would say that Andersen is a key rider, but there be a problem if he wants to ride Poland and race days been Sundays at Sheffield.

Berge could be a problem as well with Grass track and Long track commitments.

Its looking as though we will probably be predominately using British riders with a few Aussie riders.

Edinburgh are going have to of load a few riders maybe Josh Pickering might be rider that could be released.

One rider who will be able to name his price will be Drew Kemp. 

the last line is quite disturbing . no rider will be able to name his price after all the posts on here pointing out that most, if not all clubs lost money . its time to grab the bull by the horns and waken up . shell out big bucks to top men or reserves will destroy your club .  get real people . its sad to see lots of fans wanting fantastic riders , but they dont pay the bills . get real promotors . ho silly money and lots of British riders , if poss !

• Like 2

For those of us not too happy about the change of race day management could have at least told us the starting time so we can have a think about how we can fit it in to our plans. Should help them too. An early publication of fixtures would also be useful.

19 minutes ago, RS50 said:

For those of us not too happy about the change of race day management could have at least told us the starting time so we can have a think about how we can fit it in to our plans. Should help them too. An early publication of fixtures would also be useful.

treat it like an all day call out for the washing machine repair man . keep it open , then you wont be let down .

4 hours ago, Tigerblade said:

It surely can't be much more difficult than Thursdays have been the last couple of years, with the dog racing on Thursday afternoon meaning the track staff weren't able to get on until 6.30pm. 

Maybe Sundays was the best option available - as well as the fixed race night, Sheffield also have to deal with availability (or not) of Owlerton, which seems to have been getting more difficult as years go by. Re the stock cars, Tigers wouldn't be racing every week anyway with only meeting other teams once, and possibly having to race away some Sundays.

Another possibility is that more away fans may be able to travel on Sundays. As it happens, Sunday is better for me, although I am lucky in that I have a job where I don't work evenings or Sunday.

Unfortunately it's make or break for the sport as a whole, and promoters need to look at trying to get new younger fans in.  I'm not entirely convinced they're out there waiting to be converted, but we'll see. 

I can also understand the reluctance to go Premiership immediately after this season just gone. 

If it's early afternoon and hot track dries very quickly so then you get a dusty track where as evening meetings hold moisture into track better.nightmare for track preparation .Nearly every Newport meeting the day after Cardiff was really bad for it,one year after it had bounced down all morning it was bone dry after 3 races.

4 hours ago, jenga said:

treat it like an all day call out for the washing machine repair man . keep it open , then you wont be let down .

Or could just give up. Better for the promoters to work with the fans than against them

• Like 1

So ..... With a drop in points limit and a change of race night, who do we think we could see in our 2019 line up ? I doubt we will go too top heavy, i think we could see a balanced line up. Andersen and Bates to Join Kennedy ?

9 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

Does Bates get a reduction to his average after year out ?

he still will not be riding in 2019 . he is unstable in the eeed . 

• Haha 1