British Speedway Forum

On 2/4/2019 at 7:42 AM, TigerAl said:

Yes I was there on Wednesday and very entertaining it was too. First part was mainly Sheffield anecdotes and included Ty Proctor and Kyle Howarth and after the interval it was more about Nigel and Kelvin and their commentating stories from around the SGPs. Kelvin claimed to have beaten Shawn Moran once around Owlerton. Nigel once had a go on a bike at the now defunct training track at Sheffield with Shaun Leigh (the centre green guy at Sheffield) and both didn't fare too well. Nigel broke a finger nail which was enough for him to never go near a bike again !!!

It was well worth the money and was well attended. There was a raffle with some decent prizes and some other merch on sale as well.

I can't recall any particular instance, but it's hardly implausible, would be surprised if it was when he rode for Wimbledon as he was only reserve/second string then, but there would have been plenty of times from 1985 to 1988 when he rode for Coventry. 

Kelvin beat Shawn twice in one night in August 1987.Track must have been slick that night as Knudsen went through the card.He always moaned about Owlerton being too deep,unlike mega slick Brandon!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, Cliffeboy said:

Careful Tigers bigging  up young Kemp by too much. Already saying he can put 2 maybe 3 on his average. Different class of rider at this level. 

I'll be surprised if you have actually seen him. 

I saw him a couple of times last season and he was just superb - the most talented youngster I have seen since Woffinden.

The first was riding for Mildenhall at the NSS - never the easiest place for visiting NL riders. After a couple of seconds he really got the hang of the place and his last to first in heat 15 was just sublime. 

The second was for Ipswich against Scunthorpe in what was probably the most impressive individual performance I saw anywhere in 2018. Paid 14 from 5 starts against Championship opposition tells its own story. 

If he can stay clear of injury, he should easily put at least 2 points on that staring average.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I'll be surprised if you have actually seen him. 

I saw him a couple of times last season and he was just superb - the most talented youngster I have seen since Woffinden.

The first was riding for Mildenhall at the NSS - never the easiest place for visiting NL riders. After a couple of seconds he really got the hang of the place and his last to first in heat 15 was just sublime. 

The second was for Ipswich against Scunthorpe in what was probably the most impressive individual performance I saw anywhere in 2018. Paid 14 from 5 starts against Championship opposition tells its own story. 

If he can stay clear of injury, he should easily put at least 2 points on that staring average.

Totally agree. 3 point increase isn’t fanciful in the slightest. 

One of the major disappointments in Ipswich moving up a league was missing out of having Drew on a 2 point average. 

After being title favourites for just about every year we were in the second tier and managing to cock it up sometimes due to chronic luck, but sometimes underachievement, it’s ironic that we move up just when we could possibly  have had our best chance yet!

Having any rider that is capable of increasing their average by around 3 points will automatically give you a big advantage. 

Sheffield must be delighted we moved up a league! Our loss is very much their gain and I look forward to seeing him progress this year. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

saw a lot of Drew in my travels around NL last season.

Very impressive although he did have a long spell at reserve (right up to end of June) as Mildenhall were very clever with Fixtures and at Cradley too he spent long time at reserve. His form and scores when he moved up hardly wavered either. He was sometimes far better in early heats in main Team towards end of the season and after MIldenhall had injuries he was regularly mastered by Wood and Brennan in the Eastbourne clashes home and away but that could have been pressure of carrying injury affected Team.

I think Brennan is on a par with Kemp and a look back at their Youth careers indicate that. Drew had more CL experience last year than Brennan (who had none) but Swindon fans seem mightly impressed by Brennan in 2 appearances in PL / PL level so be interesting to see how they compare v each other in CL, and both still in NL.

Don't think any of the others moving up close to those pair, saw plenty of Leon Flint and was very impressed but not in Kemp/Brennan league consistently yet, Mountain and Wood I think won't ever be better than CL 2nd strings, young Atkins at Somerset could surprise a few, never really been that impressed with Bickley at Birmingham certainly and easy to forget how young and progressive Shanes and Wajknecht still are!

Kemp will increase his average to around 4.5 after a couple of meetings because of what he did in the CL last year at Ipswich. He will still beat most reserves(last years NL riders) & a few 2nd strings so I would move him to the 3 or 4 spot rather than no2 where he would ride with his no1 3 times. Maybe good for learning potential but not team/individual scoring. He should average around 5 - 5.50 in 2019.

• Like 1

All riders will increase this season due to the pts limit .

Im afraid the league won't be won by averages alone ,it will be the side that steers clear of injury the modt

Last night's STAARS meeting was made up of ex-riders Simon Green, Phil White and Doug Wyer who told anecdotes about their careers and what they did after retirement from speedway. Only Julie Reading was present from the management team and there appeared to be brisk sales of season tickets happening.

Julie confirmed that the anniversary meeting will be an individual meeting and that Ricky Ashworth is planning to attend.

I think I`ve seen it on the website but can`t find it now, does anybody know when the Tigers press & practice is please

9 minutes ago, Dornier fixer said:

I think I`ve seen it on the website but can`t find it now, does anybody know when the Tigers press & practice is please

Wednesday 20th March 5.00pm.

• Like 1

I see the tigers have linked up with the Sheffield Steelers ice hockey.   They are going to offer a some kind of discount to the Steeler's season ticket holders which is great news but they could by missing a MASSIVE opportunity here. 

Why not offer £5 a meeting vouchers to be used for say 2 meetings valid until  the end of April to ALL Steelers fans.     There will be over 7000 fans at the ice hockey on Saturday night!   Both sports are very family orientated with ice hockey season just about to finish and the speedway about to start. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

I see the tigers have linked up with the Sheffield Steelers ice hockey.   They are going to offer a some kind of discount to the Steeler's season ticket holders which is great news but they could by missing a MASSIVE opportunity here. 

Why not offer £5 a meeting vouchers to be used for say 2 meetings valid until  the end of April to ALL Steelers fans.     There will be over 7000 fans at the ice hockey on Saturday night!   Both sports are very family orientated with ice hockey season just about to finish and the speedway about to start. 

it says on press release that the tigers are going to the game against cardiff as guest im sure they will be doing something