British Speedway Forum

Just read the Phil Lanning interview with Josh Bates in this weeks Speedway Star. It starts with "You will never ride a speedway bike again." This was what the 'surgeon' said to Josh in his hospital bed after his sledging accident in March last year. Ok, Josh argued that he would, but all things being considered why did it take such a length of time for him to be replaced in last years Sheffield team? If this is true surely it was obvious that it wasn't going to be a matter of weeks before he was back, but the actual months it did take. To be honest I wasn't aware he'd had an operation as a result of his injury, when I fractured my spine as a result of a fall (quite a high one!) I didn't have surgery but it was 5 months before I could return to work. It was quite obvious therefore that he would not be riding, however how long did we go with R/R for him before Jan Graversen was signed?

Another part of his interview made me smile where he says, "Without speedway, I've got nothing, nothing in life. Nothing to fall back on." This from a fella who decided he was retiring from speedway in December 2017, remember that? 

It's good to see him back though, he really looked on it at the Ben fund meeting and I am looking forward to seeing him ride Sheffield in our next home meeting, even if it is for Leicester.

Josh Bates will be a weapon for Leicester when they visit Owlerton. I expect young Josh to be in the thick of the points.

I was told yesterday that the promotion is putting the club up for sale as they feel they have taken the club as far as they can,

maybe only rumour 

2 hours ago, Cupidstunt said:

I was told yesterday that the promotion is putting the club up for sale as they feel they have taken the club as far as they can,

maybe only rumour 

and someone at the car boot told me i was buying Sheffield speedway . 

Honest .

Very sorry to hear of the passing of Freddie Starr who, in the 1970s, could often be found watching speedway from the Panorama Room at Owlerton. This invariably led to him doing an impromptu performance after the match, entertaining the crowds with his wild antics. My wife has fond memories of being co-opted into joining him in a conga line which went all the way round the Panorama Room - until it disappeared into the men's toilets!

Whether he actually ate the hamster or not, his unique talents will be sadly missed.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

Didn't he pal up with Reg Wilson and buy him a bike? 

Bought him 2 at the start of a season I recall.

35 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

Might be wrong but didnt he also look after chris morton?

50 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

Image result for freddie starr speedway

14 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Might be wrong but didnt he also look after chris morton?

Image result for freddie starr speedway

• Like 1

Anybody know why the away match at Edinburgh has been cancelled in two weeks.

Time off arranged and hotels for the weekend then it disappears from the fixture list, with as far I can see no explanation.

the promoters want more people to attend but how does this encourage away supporters to go to meetings?

Well after today's meeting does anybody think changes are imminent ? Out of the shield and more or less out of the cup.Only the league to go for.I feel we have a team of racers and a track that suits gaters.One race win each for the heat leaders is nowhere near good enough.We are not clicking as a team and after last season we can't afford to finish bottom again.The promotors have done a great job but it's not happening on track.To make changes we have to obviously drop someone and with it being a numbers game we've got to drop sufficient points to make a decent change. To get someone like Dan Bewley in we may have to look at letting Ty go but it's probably Kasper who isn't doing as expected.Its a bit of a conundrum but unless we get an improvement all round the season will be over early again.This is not singling out Kasper as all the team should be doing better than they are.Any thoughts ?? 

Forget Bewley he has regular spot in the Polish Leagues and would not be available on Sundays.

I wonder if we could fit in Bradley Wison Dean, but that would require 2 changes to the present team.