British Speedway Forum

I enjoyed the meeting today 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, spin king junior said:

Mate. You're doing yourself no favours with that sort of attitude. There's not a single Sheffield fan on this forum that doesn't want this club to succeed. There's a lot of us who have been fans for life and supported through thick and thin. I've followed this club since I was 8 and I bloody love Sheffield speedway.

And I'm more than sure everyone can appreciate what's being done behind the scenes. Marketing wise, the Bates' have brought the club to another level. The club is run incredibly well and the whole experience is world's apart from what other clubs offer. But the product isn't good, the racing hasn't been there great for a while now and with the move to Sundays, it's only seemed to have gotten worse. I'm not gonna even pretend I understand anything about what you guys do, I'm not gonna pretend like I know what the answer is and I'm sure 99% of the people on this forum don't understand a lick about track prep. All I know is the racing is rubbish and that's what I personally show up for- racing and to support Sheffield. We're all fans here and we only want what's best for the club. But we are the paying public as well, and ultimately if the product isn't good enough, then people aren't going to pay their money to go. End of.

Superb post that sums it up for many, I suspect.

5 minutes ago, spin king junior said:

Mate. You're doing yourself no favours with that sort of attitude. There's not a single Sheffield fan on this forum that doesn't want this club to succeed. There's a lot of us who have been fans for life and supported through thick and thin. I've followed this club since I was 8 and I bloody love Sheffield speedway.

And I'm more than sure everyone can appreciate what's being done behind the scenes. Marketing wise, the Bates' have brought the club to another level. The club is run incredibly well and the whole experience is world's apart from what other clubs offer. But the product isn't good, the racing hasn't been there great for a while now and with the move to Sundays, it's only seemed to have gotten worse. I'm not gonna even pretend I understand anything about what you guys do, I'm not gonna pretend like I know what the answer is and I'm sure 99% of the people on this forum don't understand a lick about track prep. All I know is the racing is rubbish and that's what I personally show up for- racing and to support Sheffield. We're all fans here and we only want what's best for the club. But we are the paying public as well, and ultimately if the product isn't good enough, then people aren't going to pay their money to go. End of.

Excellent post sums up the situation at a number of tracks IMO.Entertainment factor is dropping all the time.

17 minutes ago, spin king junior said:

Exactly.We pay to watch racing on a track that has been renowned for racing not gaters paradise.My opinion though I'm no track expert is it appears to be slick.We use to have a deep track and teams struggled against us now it appears slick and we have no advantage.Id be interested to know how the riders feel.This is not having a go at the track staff but do we need more shale on the track ? Is it the bikes ? Is it the riders ? I don't have the answer but it needs sorting or the crowds will soon drop off?

17 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Excellent post sums up the situation at a number of tracks IMO.Entertainment factor is dropping all the time.

Given the way Promoters commit 'Hari Kiri' by devaluing their own competitions through the ludicrous sharing of riders, the entertainment factor is pretty much what so many still follow the sport for...

The Comps themselves are not worthy of pulling anyone in so the on track spectacle has to be the thing which does it...

Amazingly some promoters still seem to put 'winning at home regardless of entertainment value' at the top of their priority list..

Sheffield used to be a great track to watch at, a shame it seems to have lost its way..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

Exactly.We pay to watch racing on a track that has been renowned for racing not gaters paradise.My opinion though I'm no track expert is it appears to be slick.We use to have a deep track and teams struggled against us now it appears slick and we have no advantage.Id be interested to know how the riders feel.This is not having a go at the track staff but do we need more shale on the track ? Is it the bikes ? Is it the riders ? I don't have the answer but it needs sorting or the crowds will soon drop off?

The riders want that though, there’s been not a single complaint off the riders for the last three meetings everything the riders say to the track staff the track is prepared exactly how they want it. The problem is the riders not being up to standard. Had they won today against Glasgow half the comments on here would be different but unfortunately Glasgow were the better side they were on the ball and Sheffield were slow. If you want to watch some good racing I suggest you become an away supporter because at this rate Sheffield won’t be winning anything.

After last nights SoN paid a first visit to Sheffield today. Thought the racing was fair enough, some good passes and some 4 lap processions but no worse than seen elsewhere. The programme did mention how much work was needed on the track.

Not many speedway tracks where you can sit and have a Sunday carvery roast though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spin king junior said:

Couldn't agree more, this and the visit to Edinburgh being postponed has took even more gloss off the start to the season

I wish someone would explain the Edinburgh situation to everyone that had organised themselves to go

10 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Anybody know why the away match at Edinburgh has been cancelled in two weeks.

Time off arranged and hotels for the weekend then it disappears from the fixture list, with as far I can see no explanation.

the promoters want more people to attend but how does this encourage away supporters to go to meetings?

This seems to happen every season unfortunately, the lack of an explanation isn’t good enough when people made arrangements weeks or months before the cancellation. Eventually promoters will wonder why away fans don’t bother. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1

Edinburgh needed to rearrange their rained off C.S. meeting with Glasgow.

Perhaps that is the reason.

Is there a cut-off date.

8 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Edinburgh needed to rearrange their rained off C.S. meeting with Glasgow.

Perhaps that is the reason.

Is there a cut-off date.

Edinburgh were told to fit in the meeting with Glasgow. Glasgow have had to cancel there home match with scunthorpe which means after this Friday we don't have a home team match till 21 june. 

10 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Edinburgh were told to fit in the meeting with Glasgow. Glasgow have had to cancel there home match with scunthorpe which means after this Friday we don't have a home team match till 21 june. 

Were told.

I feel sorry for Sheffield  supporters 

1 hour ago, Gringo said:

Were told.

I feel sorry for Sheffield  supporters 

Plus any scunthorpe fans that have made plans to travel to Glasgow and Glasgow fans who have been robbed of a home match on a decent track with a trip through to the trick track the only alternative or then again there's always the pub 

• Like 1

Forget Bewley he has regular spot in the Polish Leagues and would not be available on Sundays.

I wonder if we could fit in Bradley Wison Dean, but that would require 2 changes to the present team. 

BWD also rides in Poland for Gdansk.......an issue of sunday riding is that pretty much every single potential replacement will already have commitments in Poland, unless you go with the risk of a complete unknown from Denmark, Sweden, Czech Republic etc. 

I cant really see the point of making any team changes at this time, are the team doing good enough, no, is anyone glaringly poor, no. 

Should Ty, Kasper and Broc be scoring better around Sheffield, probably, but currently Drew and Zaine are far outscoring what was expected of someone in their first full seasons

Away Danny isn't hitting the points a top number 1 should be, Zaine and Drew are in their first seasons so cant be expected to be really scoring but Ty's away performances are currently better than his home.

The trouble is everyone can see the fixture list and can see the shield is gone, barring a miracle the cup is over, given we have some blank home dates in the fixtures and not believing the promotion will leave a bank holiday sunday fixture free and thus bringing someone forward, we could then potentially be looking at finishing the season at home in July !!!, Although given the fact there is massive potential for Sheff Utd to playing live on TV or at home at 4pm come sundays in August/September this could be great planning???

As for the track, well its certainly looked better in the last 2 weeks, it hasn't actually produced much better racing but it certainly hasn't been as dry dusty or looking like the M1, so improvements have been made in that area its obvious. Now why we don't have the racing we all once remembered I dont know, maybe the track is still poor in terms of producing different lines, it is currently gate go and as long as you dont drift off that one line you dont get passed, yes there was passing against Glasgow but I would say thats more to do with the rider in front making a mistake rather than someone blasting around the boards or cutting up the inside.

No matter how much any promotion bigs up their club their team and their riders, the simple fact is Speedway is only 15 minutes long and now at 16 quid to get in thats over a pound a minute....I dont see too many keen to cough up over 90 quid each week for a football match if you want a cost comparison. Speedway has always been 15 minutes of adrenaline fuelled excitement potentially dragged out over 2 hours.....currently its 15 minutes of processional gate and go dragged out and the dragging bit is getting tiresome.

A combination of the tracks, bikes, speed of meetings, and entertainment needs to be improved/addressed...at all venues.

With the speed of meetings Im not necessarily referencing Sheffield as the start to end of a meeting this season has been good, not always the case. Although if on the rare occasion we have an exciting heat lets not leave it almost 10 mins to the start of the next one when everyone has fallen back to sleep. There is no reason why in every single heat, the boys cant cross the line, take in a victory lap and have the 2 mins on immediately, if the worlds top stars can do this at GP's and World Cups then there is no reason it cant happen here. The paying public are there to see the racing not the breaks in between