British Speedway Forum

A football match lasts 90 minutes plus stoppages. But you don't get 90 minutes of thrilling play! Time wasting, play acting, time to take corners throw ins, substitutes, passing side ways etc. A speedway match should also be 90 minutes with the 15 heats being the main but not the only attraction. So a bit unfair to then compare costs

There's probably someone asking on a football forum why is football so dear compared to speedway.

Also unfair comparing league racing with GPs. GP riders have a team of mechanics in the pits changing set ups and tyres so can make changes quickly. Most riders in league speedway have a mate that helps out if they are lucky. Home riders changing set ups might explain the delays and also explain why some away riders do better after a interval. So in some cases you may need delays to get good racing but you may also then get the wrong result! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Entertainment factor is dropping all the time

And the reason why crowds are dropping everywhere ( other than for local early season derbies ). Dropping now and well below survival levels at a number of tracks in CL & PL.

But according to the BSPA UK Speedway is Alive and Kicking - and includes "great racing" - their words not mine. All spin.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, spin king junior said:

It's a question of who? I think Kemp and Kennedy aside, they've not done what's been expected. Kasper in particular has been incredibly disappointing and we're in a position where Drew in a position where he shouldn't be and that's not fair on him. I'd say absolutely, Andersen needs to go, but I really can't think of anyone to replace him with. You can pretty much rule out anyone in the prem as with the conversion now we can't really fit anyone in.

Where do you think he should be? He was signed as a 2 pointer(bloody good one as well), knowing full well after 1 away meeting he was moving to a 4.5ish average taking him out of a reserve berth.

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

Where do you think he should be? He was signed as a 2 pointer(bloody good one as well), knowing full well after 1 away meeting he was moving to a 4.5ish average taking him out of a reserve berth.

The point is that when he moved up into the main body of the team he was riding at number 2, and now rides at 4.

A massive ask for a young 16 year old rider to be riding at 4 rather than 2. 

23 hours ago, Heathcote said:

The trouble is everyone can see the fixture list and can see the shield is gone, barring a miracle the cup is over, given we have some blank home dates in the fixtures and not believing the promotion will leave a bank holiday sunday fixture free and thus bringing someone forward, we could then potentially be looking at finishing the season at home in July !!!, Although given the fact there is massive potential for Sheff Utd to playing live on TV or at home at 4pm come sundays in August/September this could be great planning???

I think the Bank Holiday fixtures might be free because of Stock Car racing at Owlerton.

Re: Drew at no. 4, I actually think it is better for the team at the moment, given how inconsistent Ty and Kasper have been, Danny King is more reliable as regards winning his heats (although not so much on Sunday!), so it's less pressure at no. 2 for Kasper, whereas I think Drew is more capable of rising to the occasion.  But as others have said, there's only Drew and Zaine currently riding to potential, and at home at least, well above it!

Stock cars are 23rd June......Sheffield has no meeting on the 16th either?

Also Stock cars on 4th August, Sheffield are at Leicester that date

6th October, should the season get that far, is also a date for Stock cars

I'm hoping they can turn their form round as they are all good riders but it's not happening consistently at the moment.Patience will wear thin though if they don't especially after last season .

i cant see the management making quick changes for the sake of it and lets face it, who is out there that we can pick up due to this seasons points structure(campton the only name that springs to mind) the heat leaders are not dominating races at home like they should be doing, but then this is probably down to the slickness of the track,maybe get em all on the bike at the entrance to improve their gating.:D

the ones under pressure for me are kasper and ty, looking at all 7 riders, drew, zaine and broc should be allowed to improve at their own pace, and lets not forget that 5 of the 7 are doubling up with other teams along with any foreign commitments, which begs the question, do they have Sheffield interests at heart or is it looked upon as just another job and pay packet, the doubling up/down rule is making a mockery of the sport.

with the way the leagues are set up now with the play off structure,we have plenty of time left to make the top 4 and then you take it from there,so no need for rash decisions this early.

Edited by romans lovechild

On 5/15/2019 at 8:42 PM, romans lovechild said:

the doubling up/down rule is making a mockery of the sport.

Thankfully no ( or very, very few ) outsiders look at the UK speedway results. If they did they would be confused as to how riders such as Harris etc pop up top scoring here there and everywhere. Confused hardly covers it!

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, romans lovechild said:

i cant see the management making quick changes for the sake of it and lets face it, who is out there that we can pick up due to this seasons points structure(campton the only name that springs to mind) the heat leaders are not dominating races at home like they should be doing, but then this is probably down to the slickness of the track,maybe get em all on the bike at the entrance to improve their gating.:D

the ones under pressure for me are kasper and ty, looking at all 7 riders, drew, zaine and broc should be allowed to improve at their own pace, and lets not forget that 5 of the 7 are doubling up with other teams along with any foreign commitments, which begs the question, do they have Sheffield interests at heart or is it looked upon as just another job and pay packet, the doubling up/down rule is making a mockery of the sport.

with the way the leagues are set up now with the play off structure,we have plenty of time left to make the top 4 and then you take it from there,so no need for rash decisions this early.

That rule has been in speedway for 50 years. As an example,  If you check the 1969 season you will see that Gary Peterson doubled up between Wolverhampton & Nelson. 

The problem is more that it has got out of hand and has changed from being an opportunity for youngsters to progress to a rider money making exercise. I don't begrudge them a single penny but if it has damaging consequences then it should be reviewed. I think the difficulty is that the point of no return might have been passed.

On a separate note, I see that Sheffield have moved their start time back and there has been a recognition that the track has not been good enough. All credit to them for making changes in the hope that things will improve :approve:

• Like 1

I appreciate 5.30pm isn't going to suit everyone, but some of the comments on other social media are downright ridiculous.  Saying that it's too late for people who travel long distance to get home and get kids ready for school etc. So how did they manage it after a 7.30pm (which actually only moved a few seasons ago from 7.45, may I add) start on a Thursday night, then??? As I said, I realise it won't suit everyone, and I'm sorry for those who miss out, but at least provide a sensible argument. 

• Like 6

Our tigers need changes now they are very inconsisant and dont look like anything is working and what ever they are trying they are getting worst and the riders know that i am sure

1 hour ago, Adrian Brownell said:

Our tigers need changes now they are very inconsisant and dont look like anything is working and what ever they are trying they are getting worst and the riders know that i am sure

Adrian it is the same with majority of the teams and I put it down to the stupid team building averages and the inclusion of two point reserves who in all honesty are not up to the standard.
Over the years the standard of the sport has been diluted supposedly to save money but inversely I bet admission charges have gone up.