British Speedway Forum

sad times.i haven't attended this season purely because of the change in race days after having attended for more years than i care to remember, obviously,even putting the start time back hasn't,t made any difference either.all i can say is thank you to the bates family for rescuing the club in the first place and hope that everything else that you do works out for you.i,like many others, hope that a buyer is found before our beloved club ends up as another casualty and really hope that we can get our traditional race night back.

Not at all surprised by the news today I have been expecting it to be fair.

Feel a degree of sympathy for the Promotion because they have put a lot of time, money and energy in really promoting the club and sport this season, with little reward.

The change in race days from Thursday nights to Sunday afternoons has not helped for me although it is easier for me to get to meetings the standard of racing is effected and as much as I want the team to succeed I also want to be entertained and this season frankly I have been bored, and cannot help thinking that is down to afternoon racing.

I have missed two meetings this season one through ill health the other due to been on holiday, and for the first time ever I can honestly say I did not missed not going.

Spent hours trying figure out why, and come with why I feel that way.

(1) The racing as I convinced it is afternoon racing.

(2) Fragmented fixture list, too many gaps inbetween home meeting Sunday 9th June was our last home meeting the next one Sunday 30th June 3 weeks without a meeting is not good, you get out of the habit going and I think I am feeling that as well.

(3) Promoters and other fans I am fed up with reading that if you complain or voice an opinion your a keyboard warrior or if you show support your classed as a happy clapper at times I have been labelled both the sport is giving me an identity crisis.

(4) Restricted viewing  in stadium, did think that the loss of the first bend viewing would have such an effect on me, but standing on the third and fourth bend is depressing its soulless, and no atmosphere.

In saying that I will more than likely keep going for the rest of the season as I live in hope or is it more in habit.

Hopefully someone will take the club on I cannot see it myself and to be honest I am not so sure at this particular moment I really care.            

• Like 2

Jenga- I was on about the 50/50 draws at Leicester that have been over £350 winnings each week.

Back on subject it is clear that for whatever reason Sheffield fans and people do not like Sunday racing, so with the limited availability of the stadium  and the Premiership fixed race nights the only option is for Sheffield to go up to the top division.

However this is not a move that the Bates Family Are prepared to do so new promotion is required for 2020

4 minutes ago, flagrag said:

Jenga- I was on about the 50/50 draws at Leicester that have been over £350 winnings each week.

Back on subject it is clear that for whatever reason Sheffield fans and people do not like Sunday racing, so with the limited availability of the stadium  and the Premiership fixed race nights the only option is for Sheffield to go up to the top division.

However this is not a move that the Bates Family Are prepared to do so new promotion is required for 2020

To be honest I don't think that we would get the crowds to support Premiership speedway.

On a personally note I would agree with Matt Ford merge the top two leagues to make one big league.

Used to be one of the best tracks in British Speedway,but like a lot of other tracks Technology is ruining the spectacle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Used to be one of the best tracks in British Speedway,but like a lot of other tracks Technology is ruining the spectacle.

Maybe an element of truth in that statement.

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Too right, probably my favourite in the 1970's & 80's. I used to enjoy Sheffield more than Hyde Road.

11 hours ago, spin king said:

Not at all surprised by the news today I have been expecting it to be fair.

Feel a degree of sympathy for the Promotion because they have put a lot of time, money and energy in really promoting the club and sport this season, with little reward.

The change in race days from Thursday nights to Sunday afternoons has not helped for me although it is easier for me to get to meetings the standard of racing is effected and as much as I want the team to succeed I also want to be entertained and this season frankly I have been bored, and cannot help thinking that is down to afternoon racing.

I have missed two meetings this season one through ill health the other due to been on holiday, and for the first time ever I can honestly say I did not missed not going.

Spent hours trying figure out why, and come with why I feel that way.

(1) The racing as I convinced it is afternoon racing.

(2) Fragmented fixture list, too many gaps inbetween home meeting Sunday 9th June was our last home meeting the next one Sunday 30th June 3 weeks without a meeting is not good, you get out of the habit going and I think I am feeling that as well.

(3) Promoters and other fans I am fed up with reading that if you complain or voice an opinion your a keyboard warrior or if you show support your classed as a happy clapper at times I have been labelled both the sport is giving me an identity crisis.

(4) Restricted viewing  in stadium, did think that the loss of the first bend viewing would have such an effect on me, but standing on the third and fourth bend is depressing its soulless, and no atmosphere.

In saying that I will more than likely keep going for the rest of the season as I live in hope or is it more in habit.

Hopefully someone will take the club on I cannot see it myself and to be honest I am not so sure at this particular moment I really care.            

My word and thoughts there... I couldnt agree more.... Ive only been twice and if im honest im out of the habit and lost total interest im afraid... Its the lack of quality racing thats the big issue for me.

• Thanks 1

Another club joins the long  ‘For Sale’ list...I think there’s no chance of getting a good profitable sale as the Bates have run the Tigers down. Maybe the clown Chapman or numpty Godfrey will take over....God help us! Bring back NM? 

• Like 1

The venue is no longer suited to the track, and afternoon matches bring that even more into focus. 

If the landlords could be persuaded into reducing the track size, as at Swindon (but without the housing development!), the dog track also, could there be a future in the top league on Thursday nights? I love the city and the stadium location, and as a venue it has so much going for it, but is it time to move with the times?

To be honest, with some of the things I read/heard at the back end of last season, I was slightly surprised they declared an intention to run this season, maybe because it is an anniversary season.

I'm not saying the Bates' have done everything right, but some of the complaints levelled at them are ridiculous in the extreme, if it isn't the start time, it's the race jackets. In hindsight they would probably have been better off going with 5.30/6pm in the first place, but we're all experts with hindsight aren't we? Flagrag says "for whatever reason Sheffield fans and people do not like Sunday racing" - a lot of Sheffield people are tradionalists and don't like change, even if it might be better in the long run. 

I know it doesn't really help how people feel, but the first bend situation is out of the speedway's hands, and to be fair, that terracing was 90 years old and getting dangerous.  The fixture list isn't entirely down to the Sheffield promotion either.  People say "why don't they have Northern Riders'" etc, but riders don't seem to want to do individuals any more. Nor are people bothered about challenge matches. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spin king said:

On a personally note I would agree with Matt Ford merge the top two leagues to make one big league.

Been saying this for quite a while now as have I'm sure many others have. What I keep getting told by those in charge is that there are not enough riders to do this but something has to be done. If it comes to pass someone like Matt Ford will no doubt be credited with coming up with the answer.

If Sheffield goes - as seems distinctly possible (if not likely) - with so many other clubs teetering on the edge, there will come a point when competitive speedway in the UK will reach a tipping point. Running two leagues with only 7/8 teams in each will not provide a viable option for the sport. At that point, combining the two upper leagues will be the ONLY option for survival of the sport. But I fear it will be too late to resurrect teams like Sheffield that have fallen along the way. Once they're gone they're gone for good.

• Like 1

Without knowing all the facts can I asked is it down to fixed race nights in the PL why the Tigers had to switch to Sunday’s? 

I

7 minutes ago, Haza said:

Without knowing all the facts can I asked is it down to fixed race nights in the PL why the Tigers had to switch to Sunday’s? 

I

Greyhounds, I'd guess

Edited by StevePark