British Speedway Forum

16 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

If Sheffield goes - as seems distinctly possible (if not likely) - with so many other clubs teetering on the edge, there will come a point when competitive speedway in the UK will reach a tipping point. Running two leagues with only 7/8 teams in each will not provide a viable option for the sport. At that point, combining the two upper leagues will be the ONLY option for survival of the sport. But I fear it will be too late to resurrect teams like Sheffield that have fallen along the way. Once they're gone they're gone for good.

I think the only viable option is part-time or semi-pro racing, based around weekends and bank holidays, It's embarrassing to see meetings on TV with a pathetic number of spectators, we used to get bigger crowds for junior league meeting years ago, I doubt if any club in the country could pay it's way on just gate receipts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Another club joins the long  ‘For Sale’ list...I think there’s no chance of getting a good profitable sale as the Bates have run the Tigers down. Maybe the clown Chapman or numpty Godfrey will take over....God help us! Bring back NM? 

in what way have they run it down from where it was when they took it over from the old owners

league title, 2 pairs wins, 2 PLRC winner, 2 x U21 winner, U 19 winer, play off final, play off semi final, increased assets base 

all in 5 seasons or so, where have they run it down , maybe the fans have run it down with the constant moaning and back biting,  never known a worse set of fans

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

Highly unlikely . The Bates family make good money from Leicester speedway through training schools, private track hire , 2 teams bringing attendance money in which are to a decent level. 

i take it you have inside info on the financials at leicester, the crowds ive seen this year there only been twice to the berwick and redcar meeting they did not look good, but to be fair nobody in speedway are getting crowds

30 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Greyhounds, I'd guess

Combination of both really.... They weren't being allowed access to the track until 6.30pm on Thursday due to the afternoon dog meetings, which is not what you'd call ideal.  Monday and Thursday were an issue because of the Premier fixed race nights, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday were out because of the Greyhounds, which left Wednesday evening, or the whole of Sunday. 

I think the bates family have done a great job at Sheffield, more trophies won in 6 years than the whole of the tigers history  People should back off or put the money where the mouth is, oh I forgot it is very easy to criticise when you have no financial stake in the club and advise how to run a club, congratulations to the management over the past 5 years for the hard graft that has been done

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tigerblade said:

Combination of both really.... They weren't being allowed access to the track until 6.30pm on Thursday due to the afternoon dog meetings, which is not what you'd call ideal.  Monday and Thursday were an issue because of the Premier fixed race nights, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday were out because of the Greyhounds, which left Wednesday evening, or the whole of Sunday. 

Thank you for that reply to my original question 

1 hour ago, bent billy said:

I think the bates family have done a great job at Sheffield, more trophies won in 6 years than the whole of the tigers history  People should back off or put the money where the mouth is, oh I forgot it is very easy to criticise when you have no financial stake in the club and advise how to run a club, congratulations to the management over the past 5 years for the hard graft that has been done

its a forum , fans are entitled to their say . some fans have great COMmEnTS  about HOW speedway should be run . maybe its time to sit down and mull some of those COMmEnTS over .clubs and management get tied up in their own bubble at times . 

dont worry tho , you will be in good company in the N.L.

18 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

If the rubbish does hit the fan and the doors close then i think a farewell meeting is a MUST. Here's an idea.

Sheffield Star Select : Carl Stonehewer, Lee Complin, Simon Stead, Facundo Albin, Sean Wilson, Simon Cartwright, Matt Cambridge.

VS

Sheffield Tigers: Danny King, Drew Kemp, Tyron Proctor, Josh MacDonald, Kyle Howarth, Broc Nicol, Zaine Kennedy

2 hours ago, bent billy said:

more trophies won in 6 years than the whole of the tigers history  

Mr Machin won far more,or are we air brushing his ownership of the Tigers?

Mr Machin and various co Promotors.(19)

2x League Championships (1999,2002)

2xFours   (1999,2000)

2x Young Shields (1999,2002)

1 KO Cup  (2002)

1 Premier Trophy (2001)

1 Pairs Title (2010)

1 Premiership Trophy (2000)

6 Plrc Winners  (Sean Wilson (3) Sam Ermolenko,Andre Compton,Ricky Ashworth)

3 U21 Winners (Simon Stead (2) Ben Wilson)

Plus the Prowlers Titles in the CL

The Bates/Mr Mole Promotion.(8)

1X League Title (2017)

2x Pairs  (2017,2018)

2 Plrc (Simon Stead)

2 U21 (Josh Bates)

1 U19 (Josh Bates)

Still time to add to the list,starting on Sunday,hopefully!

1 hour ago, OdsalBoy said:

If the rubbish does hit the fan and the doors close then i think a farewell meeting is a MUST. Here's an idea.

Sheffield Star Select : Carl Stonehewer, Lee Complin, Simon Stead, Facundo Albin, Sean Wilson, Simon Cartwright, Matt Cambridge.

VS

Sheffield Tigers: Danny King, Drew Kemp, Tyron Proctor, Josh MacDonald, Kyle Howarth, Broc Nicol, Zaine Kennedy

I hope it doesn’t come to close but promoters up and down the country are now paying a high price to keep speedway going. Ok a lot of the problems if not all are there own making but the way things are going it will bankrupt some. 

The whole sport is in a tight mess. Very depressing. SO WHICH CLUBS NEXT...? 

7 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Another club joins the long  ‘For Sale’ list...I think there’s no chance of getting a good profitable sale as the Bates have run the Tigers down. Maybe the clown Chapman or numpty Godfrey will take over....God help us! Bring back NM? 

Don't know where you get your ideas, but you couldn't be further from the truth in suggesting the Bates family have run the club down. We've been greatly blessed at Owlerton down the years with having promoters who have done the club and the city proud; from Frank Varey through to Neil Machin and latterly the Bates family we have been lucky to have promoters who have placed the interests of the club as first priority. People like me have criticised specific decisions (which, as paying punters, we are entitled to do) but we have never doubted the promoters' commitment to the wellbeing of the Sheffield Tigers riders and fans.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the legions of numpties on the BSPA who in recent years have made decisions to feather their own nests regardless of the impact on the sport as a whole, and whose ineptitude has got the sport into the mess it's now in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Mr Machin won far more,or are we air brushing his ownership of the Tigers?

Some people would like to, that's for sure..... but had it not been for him, we'd have gone years ago. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Don't know where you get your ideas, but you couldn't be further from the truth in suggesting the Bates family have run the club down. We've been greatly blessed at Owlerton down the years with having promoters who have done the club and the city proud; from Frank Varey through to Neil Machin and latterly the Bates family we have been lucky to have promoters who have placed the interests of the club as first priority. People like me have criticised specific decisions (which, as paying punters, we are entitled to do) but we have never doubted the promoters' commitment to the wellbeing of the Sheffield Tigers riders and fans.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the legions of numpties on the BSPA who in recent years have made decisions to feather their own nests regardless of the impact on the sport as a whole, and whose ineptitude has got the sport into the mess it's now in.

I thought Damien Bates had been on Management Committee for the last two of three years? Is he then one of the “numpties on the BSPA”?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I thought Damien Bates had been on Management Committee for the last two of three years? Is he then one of the “numpties on the BSPA”?

One sane voice in a cacophony of baloney.

• Haha 1