British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

One sane voice in a cacophony of baloney.

I bet Scunthorpe say the same about Rob Godfrey and Leicester about Neil Machin. I maybe can’t say the same for the Premiership with Keith Chapman of Kings Lynn, Colin Pratt of Peterborough (owned by Keith Chapman) and the reserve member being Chris Louis of Ipswich (owned by Keith Chapman). That’s proper democracy for you  :)

3 hours ago, OdsalBoy said:

If the rubbish does hit the fan and the doors close then i think a farewell meeting is a MUST. Here's an idea.

Sheffield Star Select : Carl Stonehewer, Lee Complin, Simon Stead, Facundo Albin, Sean Wilson, Simon Cartwright, Matt Cambridge.

VS

Sheffield Tigers: Danny King, Drew Kemp, Tyron Proctor, Josh MacDonald, Kyle Howarth, Broc Nicol, Zaine Kennedy

that looks like the only team sheffield will beat @ home in 2019 !

57 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I bet Scunthorpe say the same about Rob Godfrey and Leicester about Neil Machin. I maybe can’t say the same for the Premiership with Keith Chapman of Kings Lynn, Colin Pratt of Peterborough (owned by Keith Chapman) and the reserve member being Chris Louis of Ipswich (owned by Keith Chapman). That’s proper democracy for you  :)

Democracy is a dirty word in this country at the moment. Why should speedway be any different.

20 hours ago, Cupidstunt said:

i take it you have inside info on the financials at leicester, the crowds ive seen this year there only been twice to the berwick and redcar meeting they did not look good, but to be fair nobody in speedway are getting crowds

You don’t need to have the inside info on the finances of Leicester to know they make money from Leicester.

They pay a flat yearly fee for lease of the stadium for 25 years regardless if its used once or a hundred times a year. 

They have council permission to use the track 7 days a week for practise but not allowed to run events on weekdays until after 6pm & anytime on weekends.

With the above in mind they hire the track out at No cost to the Bates no medics or track curator those cost extra  so there is great profit from track hire & bear in mind this happens a minimum once a week where the track is hired.

The crowds at Leicester are down there is no denying that but I would still say they are better then most tracks I have been to this year & certainly more then was at Somerset last night.  The Berwick crowd was low purely because it was a late arranged Sunday match on Fathers day I know a good few that didn’t go for both reasons .

4 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

You don’t need to have the inside info on the finances of Leicester to know they make money from Leicester.

They pay a flat yearly fee for lease of the stadium for 25 years regardless if its used once or a hundred times a year. 

They have council permission to use the track 7 days a week for practise but not allowed to run events on weekdays until after 6pm & anytime on weekends.

With the above in mind they hire the track out at No cost to the Bates no medics or track curator those cost extra  so there is great profit from track hire & bear in mind this happens a minimum once a week where the track is hired.

The crowds at Leicester are down there is no denying that but I would still say they are better then most tracks I have been to this year & certainly more then was at Somerset last night.  The Berwick crowd was low purely because it was a late arranged Sunday match on Fathers day I know a good few that didn’t go for both reasons .

i think your wrong, i know they have medics at practices, and a track curator there.

18 minutes ago, Cupidstunt said:

i think your wrong, i know they have medics at practices, and a track curator there.

You are correct They provide a medic & track curator when they run their own training schools because they have to, i was referring  to private track hire days , The club will provide them if you wish but that is at extra cost it doesn’t eat into The Bates profit from the track hire.

I think Sheffield have a perfect storm situation. The team was  built for a title challenge and probably isn't cheap but it has underperformed, particularly at home. The presentation is poor and, in my experience, the  complaints about the track are fully justified (and I don't accept that afternoon racing is to blame- Belle Vue is just as good with 12pm start times). Throw in a change of race day and its little wonder attendances have been bad.

46 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I think Sheffield have a perfect storm situation. The team was  built for a title challenge and probably isn't cheap but it has underperformed, particularly at home. The presentation is poor and, in my experience, the  complaints about the track are fully justified (and I don't accept that afternoon racing is to blame- Belle Vue is just as good with 12pm start times). Throw in a change of race day and its little wonder attendances have been bad.

Disagree with the presentation of the meeting, I think that actually has prove a big improvement, meetings have run far more smoother, and quicker than in the past.

Comparing to Belle Vue, it a tad unfair for instance what sort of access does the track staff have to track, my guess it is 24/ 7, as I don't think that the stadium is used for anything else other than speedway, so they can work on the track far more.

For me the racing and track have improved for the later start, still could be better admittedly, but there is an improvement, the 4.00pm start for just does not work, personally I think that things would have been even better with a 6.30pm start, but that would have not suited the family orientated crowd that the promotion was trying to attract.        

I do wonder whether a mix of Sunday afternoons and Wednesday evenings would have been worth trying,rather than the whole scale switch to Sunday. Wednesday isn't a dog day so you would have no problem getting the track ready etc.

once again our once great sport in the doldrums.the b.s.p.a totally ruining the sport.rules over the years all over the place.a promotion doing their utmost to promote during close season to try and attract new supporters.our beloved isa turn terracing ripped apart for the benefit of mr allen.a team not performing as expected.track not up to scratch, on the whole poor racing and now the club up for sale.hope and prey now that someone takes us elite so that we get our rightful race night back and enjoy top flight speedway as this is the only racing that the b.s.p.a seem interested in.sheffield have too much of a heritage to be allowed to fold but maybe this is the signal for the end of league racing as we know it.hope not.only time will tell

12 hours ago, spin king said:

Disagree with the presentation of the meeting, I think that actually has prove a big improvement, meetings have run far more smoother, and quicker than in the past.

Comparing to Belle Vue, it a tad unfair for instance what sort of access does the track staff have to track, my guess it is 24/ 7, as I don't think that the stadium is used for anything else other than speedway, so they can work on the track far more.

For me the racing and track have improved for the later start, still could be better admittedly, but there is an improvement, the 4.00pm start for just does not work, personally I think that things would have been even better with a 6.30pm start, but that would have not suited the family orientated crowd that the promotion was trying to attract.        

I certainly wouldn't argue with the time taken to run meetings - that's as good as anywhere. That wasn't my point, though. It's the presentation that is the problem- again, Sheffield are light years away from Belle Vue.

Belle Vue do have pretty much unlimited access, but what else happens at Owlerton on a Sunday ? Certainly on Thursday's track preparation time was extremely limited as there was a dog meeting in the afternoon. Word I got was they started on the track Wednesday night. The loss of one of our most experienced and capable track curators (along with all his equipment) won't have helped, and I stand to be corrected but that was apparently down to the promotion, not him. 

What is undoubtedly true is that there has been a huge amount of criticism of the quality of the racing this season, and I don't accept that that is down to afternoon (late afternoon) running times.

Really hope a new owner can be found,  speedway can't afford to lose another club. People I spoke to at Scunny last night all spoke with a common theme.. "Who on earth  would want to buy an ailing speedway club in a dying sport"...  A city the size of Sheffield should easily be able to support a speedway team. I agree with a previous poster, Owlerton stadium is the big problem.. could do with moving to a purpose built venue, one they own.  Find a field and build from scratch.. Add a bar, cafe, car park and reap the profits.. Get away from greedy landlords that don't care about the sport,  as it stands  the landlords are probably the only ones making money out of it. Sheffield speedway would be more attractive to any potential new owner if they didn't have all the overheads and stadium access/availability issues..... If only finding a suitable field was easy... Poor Halifax/Bradford couldn't find one.

Edited by Albert

Sunny definitely suffered running on a Sunday. Most folk only get weekends off and there is only so many things you can cram in on a Sunday.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Really hope a new owner can be found,  speedway can't afford to lose another club. People I spoke to at Scunny last night all spoke with a common theme.. "Who on earth  would want to buy an ailing speedway club in a dying sport"...  A city the size of Sheffield should easily be able to support a speedway team. I agree with a previous poster, Owlerton stadium is the big problem.. could do with moving to a purpose built venue, one they own.  Find a field and build from scratch.. Add a bar, cafe, car park and reap the profits.. Get away from greedy landlords that don't care about the sport,  as it stands  the landlords are probably the only ones making money out of it. Sheffield speedway would be more attractive to any potential new owner if they didn't have all the overheads and stadium access/availability issues..... If only finding a suitable field was easy... Poor Halifax/Bradford couldn't find one.

Belle Vue did and look what it’s doing to them...they are losing a fortune!

• Like 1