British Speedway Forum

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, The Third Man said:

Cant see Nichol coming back this season, why waste money on air fares when we already have riders based here who can complete the season for us

Hope he is back next season though

Well that went well

Must be more than meets the eye here, one home meeting and three away, really cant see the point.

Hope Drew gets a team place to complete the season in the Championship.

I suppose at least it gives him the time to get fixed up before the deadline

4 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Dropping Drew Kemp... how brilliant, what a club! Always encouraging our finest British talents to progress in the sport, lets have him in the main body all season then drop him after 1 away meeting at reserve, why couldn’t it of been McDonald? 

MacDonald has been scoring more points and I presume is our own rider, still cant understand the reasoning though

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Numbers game though. Can't see Leicester making a double swap to fit him in. If Eastbourne were going to make changes i think they would have gone for Nicol themselves given his record at Arlington & Hagon connections. Redcar might shuffle about as he has to be worth more than Kasper Andersen. This is where there should be incentive to sign / keep British riders. Lets face it there are many who would love the deals some of the visa riders come over on.

Leicester need to make a double swap anyway as it’s pretty much definite that Richie will not be returning this year and this may be a chance to strengthen the middle &  bottom end of the team up.

Would Sheffield fans have been happy to have Kemp then see Nicol at Leicester ? 

Edited by flagrag

6 minutes ago, flagrag said:

Leicester need to make a double swap anyway as it’s pretty much definite that Richie will not be returning this year and this may be a chance to strengthen the middle &  bottom end of the team up.

Would Sheffield fans have been happy to have Kemp then see Nicol at Leicester ? 

No

Great decision by Sheffield on putting the future of young British speedway riders first, especially one who had just won the NL Pairs and become British Under-19 Champion only a couple of weeks ago. i wish Broc Nicol all the best but I hope Drew Kemp finds a place somewhere else at a club where he is more appreciated. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Money?  Not sure if its Sheffield or Hagon that that is sponsoring him to be in the UK (i suspect it hasto be the club he is registered too?) i don't know the exact figures but im certain that the club has to supply accommodation and a basic salary as a minimum so if Nicol is fit they might as well get something for the expenditure (as they are not exactly getting any value for money from Kennedy or MacDonald either)

Wrong.

An employer has to be the' sponsor ' for his visa.

Club only has to provide a 'reasonable salary' for the individual . Whilst there has to be a ' suitable address' to satisfy the  immigration authority that can be provided by the rider, a sponsor or the club. 

The only true expense to the club is the ' visa ' which is less than a week's wage to a decent championship rider.

Mentioned about this very scenario last week (previous page) when I heard Broc was nearing fitness.

Personally; I would have replaced Kennedy rather than Kemp as up to the previous match at Somerset; Kennedy has struggled more away from home; and he has been at reserve the majority of the season.

If Nicol picks up where he left off; then the change is a no brainer, especially with the remaining tracks we need to visit. Would have thought Kemp would score better at Edinburgh and Eastbourne than Kennedy.

Sorry to see Kemp go and hope he gets fixed up very soon. 

29 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Wrong.

An employer has to be the' sponsor ' for his visa.

Club only has to provide a 'reasonable salary' for the individual . Whilst there has to be a ' suitable address' to satisfy the  immigration authority that can be provided by the rider, a sponsor or the club. 

The only true expense to the club is the ' visa ' which is less than a week's wage to a decent championship rider.

There also used to be an agreement with the US governing body, the AMA, that flights had to be provided along with a contribution towards accommodation costs. I have no idea if that still exists though

Think this will be a backward step personally. Can only see Nicol struggling to get some form after a lay off he's had, a bit like he was for the majority of the season. Let's face it he'd started doing 'OK', but he wasn't exactly flying past the opposition was he? Back at reserve Kemp was showing his worth and having had him riding in the main body as a second string, struggling to get points and obviously having his confidence shot to pieces as a result for most of this season, Sheffield have done him no favours. Hopefully this is not the straw that breaks the camels back, but I think some one will take him on, and Sheffield's management have got that sorted before making this move.

I do hope my thoughts on Nicol are wrong and that he come's in and does wonders for us!

BTW I don't think that moving Proctor on did the team any harm, he wasn't exactly dragging the team forward was he! 

2 hours ago, yorkshiretyke said:

Mentioned about this very scenario last week (previous page) when I heard Broc was nearing fitness.

Personally; I would have replaced Kennedy rather than Kemp as up to the previous match at Somerset; Kennedy has struggled more away from home; and he has been at reserve the majority of the season.

If Nicol picks up where he left off; then the change is a no brainer, especially with the remaining tracks we need to visit. Would have thought Kemp would score better at Edinburgh and Eastbourne than Kennedy.

Sorry to see Kemp go and hope he gets fixed up very soon. 

So would Sheffield I would have thought. But they couldn't do that as it would have put them over the 40 point limit as Nicol has a higher average.. Replacing Kemp puts Sheffield on 39.96 whereas replacing Kennedy would have made it 40.15.

Edited by leander

as much as I like to see british riders with team spots, I can see the reasons for this change.

ok, the play offs have all but passed us by, so maybe with the tracks left to visit, this change gives us a better chance I reckon, broc is our asset so why not use our own riders,

as he wasn't our own rider, we were only helping drews experience as a rider for Ipswich.

to mention dropping macdonald or kennedy instead is utter rubbish as they are our own riders, I would imagine these 2 along with broc will form the basis of the side next season,

yes its a bit harsh on drew, but that is professional sport. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, romans lovechild said:

as much as I like to see british riders with team spots, I can see the reasons for this change.

ok, the play offs have all but passed us by, so maybe with the tracks left to visit, this change gives us a better chance I reckon, broc is our asset so why not use our own riders,

as he wasn't our own rider, we were only helping drews experience as a rider for Ipswich.

to mention dropping macdonald or kennedy instead is utter rubbish as they are our own riders, I would imagine these 2 along with broc will form the basis of the side next season,

Totally agree I was going to post very similar.I feel sorry for Drew as he's only a young lad but not our asset so I can see the management idea even though with the numbers available we can't drop Zaine..Broc and Drew at Eastbourne and edinboro would have made us strong at reserve on paper.Apparently Broc rode in the states last week so at least he's had a spin.Dont see why people want Josh dropping he's improved since we signed him and scored points on tracks he's never seen.On his debut meeting he would have scored more had it not been for the stupid Stoneman T boning him and wrecking his bike after less than a lap.I think he could be one for the future and would be one of the first names in the team next season.

Depending on the numbers possibly need a couple of heat leaders of the Rasmus Jensen standard who can ride most tracks and come in on a 7 ish average obviously depending on the points limit that may get slashed to reduce costs again.Hope it's 2 home 2away as well because I've lost interest this season with the stop start fixtures.

1 hour ago, romans lovechild said:

sensible post along with charlie boy

• Thanks 1