British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Beer and fags in a muddy field might satisfy a Neanderthal like Jenga, but 21st century shale fans like the option of a civilised G & T in warm and friendly surroundings before we enjoy our Guinee Fowl Blanquette, served of course with a pinch of thyme and a few alliums and hazelnuts. 

Does that come with chips ?

5 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Does that come with chips ?

Zucchini, potato rosti with feta frittata accompanied with a little rocket salad.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Zucchini, potato rosti with feta frittata accompanied with a little rocket salad.

in other words, a bit of cucumber (tasteless water), mashed tatties with onions, warm cheese, & rabbit food. . Just love these fancy names....

9 hours ago, Icicle said:

in other words, a bit of cucumber (tasteless water), mashed tatties with onions, warm cheese, & rabbit food. . Just love these fancy names....

Some people simply have no class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Banquette with cheese omelette and salad leaves i don't think so. Hideous flavour and texture combinations.

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Banquette with cheese omelette and salad leaves i don't think so. Hideous flavour and texture combinations.

people will eat anything when they are hungry . but sad when they pay a fortune for it .........

20 hours ago, Moranboys said:

i remember my first visit to the old scunthorpe track at ashby ville.no posh carvery,no bar so no posh drinks, no terracing.just grass to stand on, they did invest a little later with,if i can recall, and somebody correct me if i am wrongs sawn in half double decker bus as a stand.the pits were just corrugated sheet metal on a frame and the ref was put in some sort of a shed, no turnstiles just someone taking money at a table(re buxton)but the racing there always seemed good too.if you are a true speedway supporter then basically that is all you need.think there might have been refreshments van as well.happy days

Ashby Ville was around 40 years ago now, unfortunately time has moved on.  Many football grounds from back then are now no longer fit for purpose.   My point was that people have to be enticed in to begin with, in this day and age, before they even become a "true speedway supporter". 

On 6/23/2019 at 8:02 PM, 4thbender said:

Broc Nicol scores 5 points for his team (Sheffield) on Friday night against Scunthorpe; on Saturday night he goes out FOR Scunthorpe and scores 15 against Eastbourne. How can anyone take this sport seriously?

Been saying this for years. Might as well put all the available riders names into a hat and draw out 2x7 every time there's a match. Sod the averages. That, and the ridiculous double points era finally killed it for me....(and no, I would no longer 'take a friend' to Speedway. It's too embarrassing!)

3 hours ago, Tigerblade said:

Ashby Ville was around 40 years ago now, unfortunately time has moved on.  Many football grounds from back then are now no longer fit for purpose.   My point was that people have to be enticed in to begin with, in this day and age, before they even become a "true speedway supporter". 

but trying to entice with fancy food etcisnt the answer.if you want a nice meal you go out to a restaurantpurely for that purpose.speedway is all about the basics and the atmosphere so i f you come to watch the speedway you come for that purpose alone.

• Like 1

Good stadia great race track but the promise of what standard of racing they can afford is the question.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, Moranboys said:

but trying to entice with fancy food etcisnt the answer.if you want a nice meal you go out to a restaurantpurely for that purpose.speedway is all about the basics and the atmosphere so i f you come to watch the speedway you come for that purpose alone.

Just enjoying the atmosphere and racing might suit YOU, but judging by the numbers that use the bars and restaurant, there are lots of people that expect a more rounded evening of entertainment, with food, drink and excitement thrown in.

Corporate entertainment is what pays the bills for other sports such as football, rugby, cricket, greyhounds, tennis and ice-hockey, etc., and I've thought for years that speedway is missing a trick by not exploiting the full potential of the "prawn sandwich brigade." With the facilities that Owlerton offers, there's no reason why there shouldn't be a "Tigers Enterprise Club" meeting two hours before the start of every home match. Small businesses like nothing better than the chance to meet, greet and network with other business people like themselves. It gives them the chance to build trading relationships and explore marketing collaborations; and if it involves a couple of hours of exciting sport afterwards, so much the better.

From the management's perspective, it gives them the chance to widen their business base and attract more sponsorship. Before I retired I used to run a business club that met (of all places!) in a wholesale supermarket and we used to get over 60 business people attending regularly and inviting their mates along. The only thing we offered was a cup o' tea and a sandwich. The supermarket loved us.

Having said all that, it wouldn't work on a Sunday - business entrepreneurs like their day of rest!

• Like 1

entrepreneurs never have a day orf . they are onnit all week . lol

2 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Just enjoying the atmosphere and racing might suit YOU, but judging by the numbers that use the bars and restaurant, there are lots of people that expect a more rounded evening of entertainment, with food, drink and excitement thrown in.

Corporate entertainment is what pays the bills for other sports such as football, rugby, cricket, greyhounds, tennis and ice-hockey, etc., and I've thought for years that speedway is missing a trick by not exploiting the full potential of the "prawn sandwich brigade." With the facilities that Owlerton offers, there's no reason why there shouldn't be a "Tigers Enterprise Club" meeting two hours before the start of every home match. Small businesses like nothing better than the chance to meet, greet and network with other business people like themselves. It gives them the chance to build trading relationships and explore marketing collaborations; and if it involves a couple of hours of exciting sport afterwards, so much the better.

From the management's perspective, it gives them the chance to widen their business base and attract more sponsorship. Before I retired I used to run a business club that met (of all places!) in a wholesale supermarket and we used to get over 60 business people attending regularly and inviting their mates along. The only thing we offered was a cup o' tea and a sandwich. The supermarket loved us.

Having said all that, it wouldn't work on a Sunday - business entrepreneurs like their day of rest!

but i thought all of the food proceeds were the stadiums anyway so surely the corporate entertainment that you mention plus all of us regular people eating ,profit wise goes to mr allen

Replying to Moranboys this is the probem we have. Sheffield Speedway only existes on the money that is taken on the gate and sponcership plus the money from the pockets of the owners. Its all very well haveing such a fantastic stadium it does come at a price. I'm not knocking it I love the place and have done since 1967. It is the same with all tracks that are tennants. All those teams that have the luck to own their own stadiums do have a distinct advantage as they take the profit of everything that is sold in the stadium. The Bates's may not be everyones cup of tea but they and Peter Mole have done a fantastic job since they took over I just hope that they can find someone even if they can't find a buyer to work with them to ensure the continuation of the sport here in Sheffiel.

• Like 1