British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Moranboys said:

Stretched his leg ligaments in his last ride last Sunday but hopes to be back this Sunday.

Looked ok when he rode against Peterborough on Monday

1 hour ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Possible alternative version:

"The only reasonable offer made so far, has come from a Mr K.Chapman of Norfolk, so please, please, if anyone has some spare cash and wants to prevent him from buying Sheffield speedway, get a move on otherwise we won't have any choice but to sell to him."

Many a true word spoken in jest. 

This appeared in the Peterborough Telegraph yesterday (15/08/19)

“It’s been a very challenging season for various reasons, but I am pleased to have ensured the survival of this great club and also to bring top-flight racing back to such a great venue.”

But Chapman admits the club’s future in the SGB Premiership is not certain.

Along with promoters Colin Pratt and Carl Johnson, he admits there is a need to assess if racing on the fixed Monday and Thursday nights is suitable and sustainable for Panthers.

56 minutes ago, Steve55 said:

Looked ok when he rode against Peterborough on Monday

not sure then.maybe he did it on monday.

He did it in one of his rides on Tuesday at redcar but did ride two more rides afterwards 

A word about Todd Kurtz...

Todd rode most of his career at Owlerton in the no. 2 position, first to Josh G in 2017 and then to Kyle in 2018. His great strength in those years was to turn the no 1's heat wins into a 5 - 1. He scored more bonus points and had fewer last places than any other rider. He showed those qualities again on Sunday: in the races he didn't win he supported his partner (Sedgmen on this occasion) to a 5 - 1 and had no last places. The thing about "second fiddles" is that they never get noticed, but Todd will go down as one of Sheffield's GREAT "second fiddles." 

I said on this forum in December last year it was a mistake to leave him out of the 2019 team, and so it has proven. No rider has managed to offer regular support to Danny King or Kyle and turn race wins into 5 - 1's. Todd's strengths have been woefully missed and I hope that whoever is in charge for the 2020 season (if Sheffield run again) makes sure that Todd's name is first on the team list.

I said last year that Todd is a slow-burner who will have an 8 point average by the time he's 30, and on Sunday's showing he's on target to achieve that.

Well said.i know that Todd wasn,t having the best of times at Somerset but I too was gutted when he was left out of the team for this season but was more than happy when he came back.like you say,Todd is a very very good second string who now seems back on song since his return.i do hope that he does finish the season with a decent average because he deserves it.if Danny is losing a bit of form maybe he and Kyle could be a good shout for the pairs as Kyle seems to have picked up again.

Heard that Broc Nicol is nearly ready to return racing. Just wondering if he could slot back into the 1-7 in place of Kemp or Kennedy? No disrespect to those 2 however, if Sheffield have any outside chance of making the playoffs then they need to pick up points at either Eastbourne or Edinburgh where Nicol has had very good scores at. 

Tomorrows meeting at Somerset is the crucial fixture as realistically Somerset are the only team i can see Sheffield replacing in the top 4. Only a win or draw i think will give us a chance.

Wonder if Leicester may bring in Nicol to strenghen their chances if we miss out. He was very much making a mockery of his low average before getting injured! 

2 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

Nicol for Kemp would be spot on.

Agree, although Kennedy has been very poor away from Sheffield. Bearing in mind the remaining fixtures away from home (small technical) tracks; Nicol is much more likely to score heavily than those 2 combined. 

I know its only a slim chance of making the playoffs but if he can be fitted in for one of those two, it gives us a better chance.

Kemp Kennedy almost identical averages. Sheffield current total(excluding either Kemp Kennedy) 35.16. Nicol listed as 4.34 so would be under 40 point limit. 

Play offs now almost certainly not reachable. Wonder if Nicol, assuming he is fit, would replace Ayres at Scunthorpe?

Cant see Nichol coming back this season, why waste money on air fares when we already have riders based here who can complete the season for us

Hope he is back next season though

Dropping Drew Kemp... how brilliant, what a club! Always encouraging our finest British talents to progress in the sport, lets have him in the main body all season then drop him after 1 away meeting at reserve, why couldn’t it of been McDonald? 

• Like 1