British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, Col said:

Riders can't stay at reserve if they score too much..... Unless we have a progressive league that promotes youngsters like Poland..

I think eventually we will need to do something along the same lines as Poland if we are to build a network of future top class riders.

Drew Kemp this season has paid the price of his very early success, at the very start of his career he has been thrust into position where he was not quite ready for the level of his career.

The way he has stuck at it says a lot about the lads character, and I am sure that he will be successful in the future for whoever he rides for in the future.  

11 minutes ago, Col said:

Riders can't stay at reserve if they score too much..... Unless we have a progressive league that promotes youngsters like Poland..

Think we should adopt Polish style for British youngsters.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

Whatever made you think this was anything to do with Simon? 

You would of thought he would of had a massive say Byker?

5 hours ago, Paulco said:

I'm sorry , but when you enter a competition surely you want to try your best to try and win it . I dont get this argument when a team shows a wee bit of ambition the " win at all cost " accusation comes out . I really don't understand that way of thinking . 

When it gets to a stage when there are changes galore the credibility wavers also how can fans get a rapor with the riders when year on year there are changes.Also with the Drew situation this has come about  because Sheffield never got the shape of there team right in the first place.

• Like 1

There is no credibility left in the sport anyway ,by the end of the season most riders will have ridden for other teams as guests,who cares who wins anything nowadays, the fans that are left just want to see a decent meeting.Even-then then seem few and far between.

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

You would of thought he would of had a massive say Byker?

You would, yes, but whatever the Bates' says goes at the end of the day at Sheffield. I would just caution against singling Simon out.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

You would, yes, but whatever the Bates' says goes at the end of the day at Sheffield. I would just caution against singling Simon out.

Totally right and Simon is someone i respect hugely enjoyed watching him ride for Swindon and Worky.As for Drew he will be fine he has had a tough season but he would of learned so much from it he will be around for years to come.

I think the problem Drew has had is the team balance from day one. The sheffield promotion put together an exciting team that didn't improve as it should.Drew was expected to switch into the top 5 then drop to reserve when the averages changed. This didn't happen because the reserves struggled to out point Drew.He also seemed to lack speed round sheffield where you need fast engines.I heard a rumour that he was offered an engine off Steady but his sponsor refused the help !!!! Don't know if that's true but if it was then that don't help if your rider is struggling.Drew will get over it and he's not the first or last rider to be dropped. He has loads of talent and will soon get a team place in my opinion.The Sheffield promotion have done what they think is best and not gone down the route of over paying riders to win the league and not been able to come to the tapes the following season.They have obviously done it within their budget and possibly the visa issue with Broc has swung their decision.Good luck to Drew for the rest if the season.

Both the top 2 flights should have 2 young (ish) reserves who stay there for the season.

The draft idea was a good one just poorly implemented. And if persevered with and tweaked into a more workable model, then British speedway would be 3 or 4 years further down the line of development.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Think we should adopt Polish style for British youngsters.

Been saying that for a while now, for no other reason as it would encourage clubs to bring on younger riders as they would become their reserves in seasons to come. 

• Like 1

Guest Loose Diamond
8 hours ago, spin king said:

While there is still a chance to make the Play Offs, and the opportunity arises that you can strengthen your teams chances then  you should take that opportunity.

And as things stand with the remaining fixtures that we have left I think that Nicol for Kemp gives us that extra bite away from home.

This season taking away the heatleaders in the team Nicol has been our best rider away from home this season, and with 3 of the 4 remaining fixtures away from home it has been a very tough decision but one that we had to really make bringing in a rider who has rode well away from home at reserve.

Also not forgetting the club is up for sale and the higher up the table the team finishes could be the difference on whether or not potential buyers will buy the club.

Onto Drew Kemp personally I think the lad is credit to himself, his family and the team around him, in a season where we have seen younger riders retire or take a break from the sport Drew has kept plugging away and his determination to carry on this season deserves loads of credit.

But this is sport and winning plays a big part and business is business.      

You are right. Wins under 19 British Championship, drops to reserve then loses his place?? No logic in that decision. Slim chance/ no chance to make play-offs. ( Better than ours I suppose!!) Does not make any sense.

7 minutes ago, screm said:

Been saying that for a while now, for no other reason as it would encourage clubs to bring on younger riders as they would become their reserves in seasons to come. 

Championship level clubs might actually start showing an interest in the NL and development leagues below. Leicester have been tracking and helping the Thompson Twins for years, Jordan Palin signed for Scunthorpe already. Those in the know are looking forward and can see these changes coming. Might even see some Championship level sides hosting development league teams or linking up with NL sides so that an actual progression chain can be established.  

• Like 1

I have been told today that Drew Kemp had been practising at Leicester today & looks set to sign for Leicester to replace Joe Lawlor in a double change that will see a lower average rider come into replace Richie Worrall. That’s 2 riders The Bates family have sent down the M1 to help bring Silverware into the Bates family which is ironic as at the start of the season they felt Sheffield had the stronger team.

Edited by Lenny Lion

Is anybody really bothered if Bates have sent Drew to Leicester ? Speedway is no longer a sport to be taken seriously with the Mickey mouse rules.Crowds are dropping off ,a lot of races are strung out ,track preparation,riders having a strop,meetings drawn out ,lack of fixtures season finishing earl again etc.If the Bates have got Drew fixed up then great,the lad doesn't miss out on meetings/earnings and joins a team that could win the league.Win win situation . 

2 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

Is anybody really bothered if Bates have sent Drew to Leicester ? Speedway is no longer a sport to be taken seriously with the Mickey mouse rules.Crowds are dropping off ,a lot of races are strung out ,track preparation,riders having a strop,meetings drawn out ,lack of fixtures season finishing earl again etc.If the Bates have got Drew fixed up then great,the lad doesn't miss out on meetings/earnings and joins a team that could win the league.Win win situation . 

Think your right majority of fans only want to see a decent speedway meeting these days.I do anyway, biggest problem is nobody can predict what will be decent meeting these days.Have wasted a lot of money this season.:mad: