Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

So, what was said on Monday night about 2019? Anything as big and exciting as Roy suggested? Or did he big up nothing? Again...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did he build it up ? 

it was an very interesting meeting with the promoters keen to hear the fans ideas, wishes and expectations as well as give some feed back

feedback they gave was that they are 99% certain of riding next season which given last years winter's issues is great news and that crowds are up which is good but we all would like them higher

various discussions and thoughts about raising more income for the team and making the meetings more enjoyable and more  family friendly

promoters discussed due to the winter issues, that team building was difficult (which I think we all appreciated back in March) but they believe they are in a good place to build a stronger team next year (within their budgetary limits)

they like the supporters have been frustrated by the lack of meetings and lack of continuity.  Whilst they refused to discuss likely size of the divisions, they believe that the minimum number of competitive meetings next season will be more like 18-20 rather than 14 this year  - excellent news!!

attendance of the meeting was very good although I expected more questions from the supporters

only rather contradictory bit, was the pop at us keyboard warriors who predicted doom and gloom at the start of the season :-) ... even though up to the Sheffield meeting the promotion were still worrying about the wooden spoon and throughout the meeting they conceded the team was not as strong as they would have liked

hands up the lads have done better than I expected - although I never doubted their commitment just that the team is way below the entitled limit.   Although it has been a very strange season, especially at Brough where some teams have turned up beaten before the start,  and who could believe that Sheffield would finish bottom.

Even this current team, is probably only 2 riders away from being a very competitive side as at least 4 can up their averages and we have points available under the limit

and also I would say well done to Martin and George,  whilst other teams go through their regular annual axing of riders, George has again stayed loyal to his riders through thick and thin.  And this can only be positive as more riders will want to ride for them.       I think we can look forward to 2019 with optimism

Edited by mauger65
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like good news and hopefully ways can be found to get more fans in and getting them to return.:)

As far as some 'keyboard warriors' predicting doom n gloom,,, thats gonna happen in anything thats made public, unfortunately :(,,, but there is some good ideas out there, just means sifting thru the sh!te to find them ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mauger65 said:

did he build it up ? 

it was an very interesting meeting with the promoters keen to hear the fans ideas, wishes and expectations as well as give some feed back

feedback they gave was that they are 99% certain of riding next season which given last years winter's issues is great news and that crowds are up which is good but we all would like them higher

various discussions and thoughts about raising more income for the team and making the meetings more enjoyable and more  family friendly

promoters discussed due to the winter issues, that team building was difficult (which I think we all appreciated back in March) but they believe they are in a good place to build a stronger team next year (within their budgetary limits)

they like the supporters have been frustrated by the lack of meetings and lack of continuity.  Whilst they refused to discuss likely size of the divisions, they believe that the minimum number of competitive meetings next season will be more like 18-20 rather than 14 this year  - excellent news!!

attendance of the meeting was very good although I expected more questions from the supporters

only rather contradictory bit, was the pop at us keyboard warriors who predicted doom and gloom at the start of the season :-) ... even though up to the Sheffield meeting the promotion were still worrying about the wooden spoon and throughout the meeting they conceded the team was not as strong as they would have liked

hands up the lads have done better than I expected - although I never doubted their commitment just that the team is way below the entitled limit.   Although it has been a very strange season, especially at Brough where some teams have turned up beaten before the start,  and who could believe that Sheffield would finish bottom.

Even this current team, is probably only 2 riders away from being a very competitive side as at least 4 can up their averages and we have points available under the limit

and also I would say well done to Martin and George,  whilst other teams go through their regular annual axing of riders, George has again stayed loyal to his riders through thick and thin.  And this can only be positive as more riders will want to ride for them.       I think we can look forward to 2019 with optimism

In addition to that. Both George and Martin said that there is a new league structure proposal which they will support, and they already have had riders contact them to be considered for a team place in 2019. No dinner dance this year, but a end of season get together is planned. Need for a Supporters club to be restarted, and a Trust support group under consideration. With new owners this (Newcastle Racecourse) an entirely different relationship that with the previous dog/betting management, hooray. Fans were invited to name riders they would like to see in the team next year, and G & M confirmed some of those names were in the frame.  Thoughts on a possibly National League side in the future, possibly shared with another club, but lots of obstacles to overcome first, probably travel to an almost Southern NL especially to us. Debate about do fans want weekly meetings, or say 3 meetings per month with the odd gap to be used for say rearranged rain offs. Weekly meetings favoured, but of course, you devour the fixtures quicker and could end up like Berwick this year with no more fixtures in August. Easter is 3 weeks later next year, so the season should be more balanced over the summer.

Very encouraging and enthusiastic evening, which could be the start of more social and informative fan gatherings.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a topper evening, a big thank you to the promoters and Dalbers; I hope there’s something similar at the end of the season. 

The three of us thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Excellent pint of Moretti as well

TG

(I’m back btw, should you have missed me ;-). )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Terrace Grumbler said:

It was a topper evening, a big thank you to the promoters and Dalbers; I hope there’s something similar at the end of the season. 

The three of us thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Excellent pint of Moretti as well

TG

(I’m back btw, should you have missed me ;-). )

Firstly, appreciate you coming up last night and introducing yourself. :approve:

Unfortunately we didn't learn too much more than what we already knew, although it was interesting to hear about the possibility of having an NL side to add to the Championship side sometime in the future.  I just hope they know what they are doing with that one.

It was great to sit next to ex-Pits Marshal Ivan Stevenson last night, who told me one or two stories from the distant past.

Hopefully we can put a competitive team together for 2019 and, for what it's worth, I'd have Tero and Ash the top of my list from the current line-up to return next season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Firstly, appreciate you coming up last night and introducing yourself. :approve:

Unfortunately we didn't learn too much more than what we already knew, although it was interesting to hear about the possibility of having an NL side to add to the Championship side sometime in the future.  I just hope they know what they are doing with that one.

It was great to sit next to ex-Pits Marshal Ivan Stevenson last night, who told me one or two stories from the distant past.

Hopefully we can put a competitive team together for 2019 and, for what it's worth, I'd have Tero and Ash the top of my list from the current line-up to return next season.

Didn't realise that Ivan was there. Presume he was sitting over the front left side with grey hair near you. No messing with Ivan keeping the pits working properly in the 60's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Didn't realise that Ivan was there. Presume he was sitting over the front left side with grey hair near you. No messing with Ivan keeping the pits working properly in the 60's. 

He was sitting next to me on my right.

I thought he might have been introduced to the room, as quite a few will remember him.  If he'd agreed to it, maybe even a quick chat with him would have been rather nice too.

Edited by StevePark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tsunami said:

In addition to that. Both George and Martin said that there is a new league structure proposal which they will support, and they already have had riders contact them to be considered for a team place in 2019. No dinner dance this year, but a end of season get together is planned. Need for a Supporters club to be restarted, and a Trust support group under consideration. With new owners this (Newcastle Racecourse) an entirely different relationship that with the previous dog/betting management, hooray. Fans were invited to name riders they would like to see in the team next year, and G & M confirmed some of those names were in the frame.  Thoughts on a possibly National League side in the future, possibly shared with another club, but lots of obstacles to overcome first, probably travel to an almost Southern NL especially to us. Debate about do fans want weekly meetings, or say 3 meetings per month with the odd gap to be used for say rearranged rain offs. Weekly meetings favoured, but of course, you devour the fixtures quicker and could end up like Berwick this year with no more fixtures in August. Easter is 3 weeks later next year, so the season should be more balanced over the summer.

Very encouraging and enthusiastic evening, which could be the start of more social and informative fan gatherings.

Was a great chance for Arseonfire and Boomerang to have their say in front of the promotion instead of behind their keyboards. I bet they never took the chance. I wonder if Arseonfire and his mate are still travelling down to Redcar. Nice to see the Diamonds have proved you wrong. I look forward to next season.

Onwards and upwards 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StevePark said:

He was sitting next to me on my right.

I thought he might have been introduced to the room, as quite a few will remember him.  If he'd agreed to it, maybe even a quick chat with him would have been rather nice too.

Yes I thought that would have been him then. Changed quite a bit, especially the hair. We would of recognised each other I think, with me on the Supporters committee and Jen's Parents Prominent on the committee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, after a slightly disappointing end to the 2018 season, we need to now stop being negative, let the work behind the scenes happen and look forward to 2019, which we have been told is all systems go!! As for the team this year, this is my opinions as how they performed and if I would like to see them back or not:

1. Stuart Robson - Only fitting I mention this legend first. Even as a mackem, he has become one of the most loved riders in Newcastle's recent history, it seems it's a good time for him to retire however, while he's still on a relative high. It's tiring watching some riders go well into their 40s almost ruining their legend status by whimpering down to a 3 point average before throwing in the towel. I would like to thank Robbo for all he has done not only for Newcastle speedway, but the sport as a whole, good luck in the future :) Obviously, not for my 2019 team

2. Tero Aarnio - By far been our stand out rider this season imo, he's the first name George and the promotion need to pursue, and they'd be daft if they didn't, the only way I don't see the 'baby faced assasin' back in our side is if a Polish team comes calling, or another team pays him more. Great little rider and he riders Brough AND away tracks very well, Would be really nice to partner him with someone else (dunno who yet) at 3 and 4, rather than at number 5, which to be fair, is a big ask for him (even if he rode ok there at points this year) Definitely for my 2019 team, pllleeeaasse :)

3. Ashley Morris - What a great, hardworking rider Ash is, he's been asked this year to ride in positions very high for his current ability, number 3 most recently, and he's performed ok in this role, if somehow, next year we manage to sign him as a reserve or a number 2 with a big hitting number 1, of course I'd love to see him back in Diamonds colours!! He seemed very keen and very grateful to the promotion on Sunday night when interviewed, so I'd be more surprised not seeing him back. Another definitely back for me :)

4. Matej Kus - Seemed to be a controversial signing a few moths back, but in my opinion it was good at the time. He has proved no one right though, as he's come in and done an ok/average job. He rode very well for us a few years ago at number 3 and if he could have replicated that, he'd have been a great signing. The only things Matej has going for him imo is that he is an asset, and his average is very small so he could be used at number 2 maybe? Having said this, sorry Matej, there's other similar riders I'd like to see over you, good luck, wherever you are next year

5. Ludvig Lindgren - Been my favourite Diamond for a few years now... But I feel he may have been knocked off by a certain Finn :P However, people still know my opinion of him, and if rumours of last Friday night are true, then that's very disappointing, but imo, the team just wouldn't be the same if Ludvig wasn't there, who would the keyboard warriors complain about then??? Another rider who i'd like to see back (As a second string!! Not number 1 or 5)

6. Matthew Wethers - No question for me, Matthew has ridden his socks off all season, which is what I expected when he was announced over the winter, people didn't seem so sure of his signing, but I think he has silenced them, specifically with his recent performances out on track. Was a little bit race rusty at the beginning of the season, as you'd expect, but since then, he's been a hard trying points scoring machine down at number 7!! Please come back next year :)

7. Carl Wilkinson - No one can complain about the effort Wilko puts in from start to finish of every race he's in, maybe he tries a little too hard as he's constantly on his arse trying to overtake when it's better for the team to settle in position!! However Carl has been great this year and I really have enjoyed watching him throw the bike into them corners, almost desperate to get past the rider ahead of him, he seems to have a good presence in the pits also, protecting his teammates from wild grizzlies further down the a19 and his never give up[ attitude. I'd like to thank Wilko for his services this year, he's been great at reserve. The only way however I'd want him in my 2019 team is if Wethers moves elsewhere OR we can still fit him in after completing our other 6. Hope to see you in 2019 Carl, would hate to see you left out of every team, but maybe as a visitor or on my occasional trips to Buxton?

8. Lewis Rose - Thanks Lewis for your time as a Diamond over the last couple of seasons and also coming in at the last minute at the beginning of the season to bail us out. I know you've retired from speedway now, and who knows if you'll ever be back, but good luck in your future and have a safe time, whatever you chose to do.

My first 4 names for the team would be:

1. Tero Aarnio (Number 3?)

2. Ashley Morris (Number 2 or 7 - he needs his heat 8 wins)

3. Matthew Wethers (Number 7??? or 2 - whoever has a smaller average between him and Ash)

4. Ludvig Lindgren (Another number 2 option? or 4 partnered with Tero?)

If ones a reserve, 2 are second strings and maybe Tero is the number 3, we could build a decent side around them

P.S. Rene come back!!

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A shortlist of riders who could very well be seen in a Diamonds jacket next season (my views)

Tero Aarnio - Been one of the standout riders this season altogether and a real game changer 

Ashley Morris - Really settled down since arriving at Brough in 2016 (Not mentioning the Peterborough and Somerset stints in between)

Josh Pickering - A wonderful sight to see around Newcastle but would he be tempted to walk from the Monarchs?

Danny Phillips - Obviously a very poor season for Danny, but if the point limit is lowered then there could be an opening for him to potentially return 

Ludvig Lindgren - A lacklustre start to the season especially at home but started to improve as the season was beginning to curtail, should be considered but not as a number 1

Matthew Wethers - A good return season for the Aussie following a year away, capable of being a solid reserve and potentially a number 2 but who knows?

Rene Bach - Always a class act since day 1, the offer would have to be a tempting one as he does seem happy over in the West

Matej Kus - Really good at home on his day but tends to get opened up to weakness on the away tracks, still can be coverable however

Carl Wilkinson - Always someone capable of 5-6 points (minimum) in most cases, looks happy where he is too

Lasse Bjerre - Impressive around Newcastle (when he isn't having gremlins) but the question is, will he come back to the UK following the Sheffield altercation?

Josh Embleton - One of the wilder thoughts but hear me out. I'm not saying Josh should be in the main squad but as an on-track number 8 (when available home and away) to see how he improves and then considered for 2020

Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen - Someone else who has looked good in his handful of appearances in the North East but is a potential thought

Kyle Newman - A former diamond who has been away for 9 years and has improved a hell of a lot since being the 17 year old. Prone to injury and bad luck but if he can keep away from the disasters is capable of being a solid middle order man - home and away 

B - Named (Likely) 

I - More unlikely  

Would love to hear your thoughts :t:

Edited by Shaggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dandelion said:

 

8. Lewis Rose - Thanks Lewis for your time as a Diamond over the last couple of seasons and also coming in at the last minute at the beginning of the season to bail us out. I know you've retired from speedway now, and who knows if you'll ever be back, but good luck in your future and have a safe time, whatever you chose to do.

 

How many more times does it have to be said? Lewis Rose has NOT retired from speedway.  He has NEVER said he has retired.  He is taking time out from the sport, until such time he is ready to return.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy