British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

A shortlist of riders who could very well be seen in a Diamonds jacket next season (my views)

Tero Aarnio - Been one of the standout riders this season altogether and a real game changer 

Ashley Morris - Really settled down since arriving at Brough in 2016 (Not mentioning the Peterborough and Somerset stints in between)

Josh Pickering - A wonderful sight to see around Newcastle but would he be tempted to walk from the Monarchs?

Danny Phillips - Obviously a very poor season for Danny, but if the point limit is lowered then there could be an opening for him to potentially return 

Ludvig Lindgren - A lacklustre start to the season especially at home but started to improve as the season was beginning to curtail, should be considered but not as a number 1

Matthew Wethers - A good return season for the Aussie following a year away, capable of being a solid reserve and potentially a number 2 but who knows?

Rene Bach - Always a class act since day 1, the offer would have to be a tempting one as he does seem happy over in the West

Matej Kus - Really good at home on his day but tends to get opened up to weakness on the away tracks, still can be coverable however

Carl Wilkinson - Always someone capable of 5-6 points (minimum) in most cases, looks happy where he is too

Lasse Bjerre - Impressive around Newcastle (when he isn't having gremlins) but the question is, will he come back to the UK following the Sheffield altercation?

Josh Embleton - One of the wilder thoughts but hear me out. I'm not saying Josh should be in the main squad but as an on-track number 8 (when available home and away) to see how he improves and then considered for 2020

Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen - Someone else who has looked good in his handful of appearances in the North East but is a potential thought

Kyle Newman - A former diamond who has been away for 9 years and has improved a hell of a lot since being the 17 year old. Prone to injury and bad luck but if he can keep away from the disasters is capable of being a solid middle order man - home and away 

B - Named (Likely) 

I - More unlikely  

Would love to hear your thoughts :t:

Yes good post, I would just add:

Richie Worrall - the number 1 we were missing this season.

Lewis Rose - would love to see him back in the team next year; at number 3 or 5.

Josh Embleton - agreed, it's good cover to have a number 8 in case of injuries and to give some track time to a Diamonds asset. He will probably get a regular NL place next season and so should continue to improve.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Yes good post, I would just add:

Richie Worrall - the number 1 we were missing this season.

Lewis Rose - would love to see him back in the team next year; at number 3 or 5.

Josh Embleton - agreed, it's good cover to have a number 8 in case of injuries and to give some track time to a Diamonds asset. He will probably get a regular NL place next season and so should continue to improve.

I think Rich and Lewis would be good assets.

Richie Worrall - I can't see him leaving Armadale... just yet anyway

Lewis Rose - It's possible and time will tell ;)

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

How many more times does it have to be said? Lewis Rose has NOT retired from speedway.  He has NEVER said he has retired.  He is taking time out from the sport, until such time he is ready to return.

I'd be very surprised (pleasantly, I might add) if we see Lewis back on a speedway bike anytime (never mind soon).

I'd like to see Tero, Ash, and Matty back next year as the engine room of the team. Build it around those three. Not too sure about any of the rest as they seem to be at best standing still average wise.

That said Robbo would have been in there with the three I've mentioned if he hadn't retired. Thanks for the good times.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 3:25 PM, Dandelion said:

Anyway, after a slightly disappointing end to the 2018 season, we need to now stop being negative, let the work behind the scenes happen and look forward to 2019, which we have been told is all systems go!! As for the team this year, this is my opinions as how they performed and if I would like to see them back or not:

1. Stuart Robson - Only fitting I mention this legend first. Even as a mackem, he has become one of the most loved riders in Newcastle's recent history, it seems it's a good time for him to retire however, while he's still on a relative high. It's tiring watching some riders go well into their 40s almost ruining their legend status by whimpering down to a 3 point average before throwing in the towel. I would like to thank Robbo for all he has done not only for Newcastle speedway, but the sport as a whole, good luck in the future :) Obviously, not for my 2019 team

2. Tero Aarnio - By far been our stand out rider this season imo, he's the first name George and the promotion need to pursue, and they'd be daft if they didn't, the only way I don't see the 'baby faced assasin' back in our side is if a Polish team comes calling, or another team pays him more. Great little rider and he riders Brough AND away tracks very well, Would be really nice to partner him with someone else (dunno who yet) at 3 and 4, rather than at number 5, which to be fair, is a big ask for him (even if he rode ok there at points this year) Definitely for my 2019 team, pllleeeaasse :)

3. Ashley Morris - What a great, hardworking rider Ash is, he's been asked this year to ride in positions very high for his current ability, number 3 most recently, and he's performed ok in this role, if somehow, next year we manage to sign him as a reserve or a number 2 with a big hitting number 1, of course I'd love to see him back in Diamonds colours!! He seemed very keen and very grateful to the promotion on Sunday night when interviewed, so I'd be more surprised not seeing him back. Another definitely back for me :)

4. Matej Kus - Seemed to be a controversial signing a few moths back, but in my opinion it was good at the time. He has proved no one right though, as he's come in and done an ok/average job. He rode very well for us a few years ago at number 3 and if he could have replicated that, he'd have been a great signing. The only things Matej has going for him imo is that he is an asset, and his average is very small so he could be used at number 2 maybe? Having said this, sorry Matej, there's other similar riders I'd like to see over you, good luck, wherever you are next year

5. Ludvig Lindgren - Been my favourite Diamond for a few years now... But I feel he may have been knocked off by a certain Finn :P However, people still know my opinion of him, and if rumours of last Friday night are true, then that's very disappointing, but imo, the team just wouldn't be the same if Ludvig wasn't there, who would the keyboard warriors complain about then??? Another rider who i'd like to see back (As a second string!! Not number 1 or 5)

6. Matthew Wethers - No question for me, Matthew has ridden his socks off all season, which is what I expected when he was announced over the winter, people didn't seem so sure of his signing, but I think he has silenced them, specifically with his recent performances out on track. Was a little bit race rusty at the beginning of the season, as you'd expect, but since then, he's been a hard trying points scoring machine down at number 7!! Please come back next year :)

7. Carl Wilkinson - No one can complain about the effort Wilko puts in from start to finish of every race he's in, maybe he tries a little too hard as he's constantly on his arse trying to overtake when it's better for the team to settle in position!! However Carl has been great this year and I really have enjoyed watching him throw the bike into them corners, almost desperate to get past the rider ahead of him, he seems to have a good presence in the pits also, protecting his teammates from wild grizzlies further down the a19 and his never give up[ attitude. I'd like to thank Wilko for his services this year, he's been great at reserve. The only way however I'd want him in my 2019 team is if Wethers moves elsewhere OR we can still fit him in after completing our other 6. Hope to see you in 2019 Carl, would hate to see you left out of every team, but maybe as a visitor or on my occasional trips to Buxton?

8. Lewis Rose - Thanks Lewis for your time as a Diamond over the last couple of seasons and also coming in at the last minute at the beginning of the season to bail us out. I know you've retired from speedway now, and who knows if you'll ever be back, but good luck in your future and have a safe time, whatever you chose to do.

My first 4 names for the team would be:

1. Tero Aarnio (Number 3?)

2. Ashley Morris (Number 2 or 7 - he needs his heat 8 wins)

3. Matthew Wethers (Number 7??? or 2 - whoever has a smaller average between him and Ash)

4. Ludvig Lindgren (Another number 2 option? or 4 partnered with Tero?)

If ones a reserve, 2 are second strings and maybe Tero is the number 3, we could build a decent side around them

P.S. Rene come back!!

As I mentioned in an earlier post the only 3 riders I would have back is Tero, Ashley and Matty. These are the only 3 who I feel will increase their average. Robbo obviously retired so he's out of the equation. Kus has done an ok job but I wouldn't consider him. Lindgren needs a change of club for his own good I feel. Can be brilliant on his day around Brough but offers very little away for a rider who's rode over here for long enough. Has far too many poor meetings with scores under 5. Wilko going backwards now in my opinion. Hasn't done too bad but I'd look elsewhere. I'd like to see Richie Worrall, Garritty,Josh Pickering or Adam Summers to be considered along with the 3 riders from this season I have mentioned. I think we need to entice a few more entertaining riders which in turn would hopefully attract a few more supporters. Just my opinion. I understand the team building revolves around budget, availability and averages though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Winditon said:

As I mentioned in an earlier post the only 3 riders I would have back is Tero, Ashley and Matty. These are the only 3 who I feel will increase their average. Robbo obviously retired so he's out of the equation. Kus has done an ok job but I wouldn't consider him. Lindgren needs a change of club for his own good I feel. Can be brilliant on his day around Brough but offers very little away for a rider who's rode over here for long enough. Has far too many poor meetings with scores under 5. Wilko going backwards now in my opinion. Hasn't done too bad but I'd look elsewhere. I'd like to see Richie Worrall, Garritty,Josh Pickering or Adam Summers to be considered along with the 3 riders from this season I have mentioned. I think we need to entice a few more entertaining riders which in turn would hopefully attract a few more supporters. Just my opinion. I understand the team building revolves around budget, availability and averages though.

:blink:

I agree with you on the returning riders and would have Garrity as well, Aaron Summers is a good bet (not sure about Adam!!! :D) and Josh Pickering is a great choice as well, similar to Garrity in that he is very entertaining.  Tero and Ash are a must, I'm not sure about Wethers and I don't think we will get Worrall as he will probs be looking towards Poland again and if not we won't get Pickering and Worrall away from the Monarchs.  I think Ricky Wells would be a good shout as well but in the same boat as Pickering and Worrall.  I think Ludvig defo needs time away from Brough and with the no show at Workington that may have already have been decided (but may have been a perfectly good reason for the no show but we have not been told).  Rene seems to be back to his best again so would be worth a punt.

i like how tou are taking a PUNT on a rider who is back to his best .! ! !

take a punt on some up and coming youngster . err , maybe kyle bickley.. 

workington did .

Edited by jenga

We have our own young local rider, yeah he may be a few years older than Kyle, and maybe not quite on the pace, but he's getting there and he's been impressing in the NL this season, maybe worth a punt for 2020?

Not to mention the very much underage British youth champion we have coming up our ranks... I'm sure we'll 'take a punt' with him once of age too :) We can't get a new 15 year old wonderkid every year or else the entire league would be full of them, and it's just not possible or realistic :)

Josh Pickering won't move to Newcastle (Would love to be wrong) Sam with Richie, Summers, Wells, Bjerre, Newman, NBJ and probably Bach... What with most of them riding in Poland and already settled in with their current uk clubs, why would they come to us? Unless we suddenly find a lot of money to throw at them ;)

Personally, unless he's retiring, I think Scott Nicholls is a must as and experienced number 1, and as far as I can tell, he doesn't ride in Poland, just would his tv commitments get in the way? Or would he put the Diamonds first?

1. Scott Nicholls 8.19

2. Ashley Morris 6.04

3. Tero Aarnio 6.21

4. Ludvig Lindgren 6.77

5. Mid/high 7 pointer

6. Hopwood/Alfie back maybe? (I'm very sorry but please not Phillips, in the best interests of him and the club)

7. Matthew Wethers 5.24

10.05 to play with for the last two places, although I do know the current averages of the riders will change and 42.5 might not be the limit, but it's a general idea of what I think might be happening

Edited by Dandelion

57 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Personally, unless he's retiring, I think Scott Nicholls is a must as and experienced number 1, and as far as I can tell, he doesn't ride in Poland, just would his tv commitments get in the way? Or would he put the Diamonds first?

1. Scott Nicholls 8.19

2. Ashley Morris 6.04

3. Tero Aarnio 6.21

4. Ludvig Lindgren 6.77

5. Mid/high 7 pointer

6. Hopwood/Alfie back maybe? (I'm very sorry but please not Phillips, in the best interests of him and the club)

7. Matthew Wethers 5.24

10.05 to play with for the last two places, although I do know the current averages of the riders will change and 42.5 might not be the limit, but it's a general idea of what I think might be happening

You have no chance of getting Scott Nicholls , he's a Peterborough asset and signed on a two year contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

Josh Pickering won't move to Newcastle (Would love to be wrong) Sam with Richie, Summers, Wells, Bjerre, Newman, NBJ and probably Bach... What with most of them riding in Poland and already settled in with their current uk clubs, why would they come to us? Unless we suddenly find a lot of money to throw at them ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think JP, Summers, Newman, Bjerre, NBJ or even Richie ride in Poland (Or an a regular basis at least)

8 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think JP, Summers, Newman, Bjerre, NBJ or even Richie ride in Poland (Or an a regular basis at least)

Worrall and Summers did

• Like 1

A lot are mentioning Tero, Ash and Matty to return, which I can see. A think Phillips will be in and that would take up about 20pts of what is available. If there is say, 20/22.5 points left, for 3 riders, I would like a 'pick n mix' of,  either Worralls, Garrity, Howarth, Pickering, NBJ, MPT and Covatti. A can't see Bach, back and think that he has hit level anyway, decent rider but don't think he would be a dominant no.1.

Edited by ruffdiamond

Covatti could be a decent shout for next season not the number 1 we need but would be a very capable second string/third heat leader.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

You have no chance of getting Scott Nicholls , he's a Peterborough asset and signed on a two year contract.

Fair play, didn't realise he was there for 2 years, who knows... Maybe he will double up with Peterborough and Newcastle ;) The league formats might be all up in the air

18 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Summers (Rzeszow), Newman (Ostrow), Bjerre (Krakow) and Richie (Rawicz) all do/have done this year, and I can only see Polish clubs being interested in JP as he gets better... NBJ has also been involved over the last couple of seasons in Poland, so he's just as likely to be back there, just because he wasn't there in 2018, doesn't mean he's not there for 2019... However, I do understand that just because a rider rides in Poland, doesn't completely rule him out for us... Look at Matej for example

Another rider I'd like to see would be Kevin Wolbert, always quite liked him... Not sure where his average is now though, somewhere in the 8s or somewhere in the 6s?

I can see Covatti at Ipswich again but I'd love to see him also, he was great fun to watch this season

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 1