British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Fair play, didn't realise he was there for 2 years, who knows... Maybe he will double up with Peterborough and Newcastle ;) The league formats might be all up in the air

Summers (Rzeszow), Newman (Ostrow), Bjerre (Krakow) and Richie (Rawicz) all do/have done this year, and I can only see Polish clubs being interested in JP as he gets better... NBJ has also been involved over the last couple of seasons in Poland, so he's just as likely to be back there, just because he wasn't there in 2018, doesn't mean he's not there for 2019... However, I do understand that just because a rider rides in Poland, doesn't completely rule him out for us... Look at Matej for example

Another rider I'd like to see would be Kevin Wolbert, always quite liked him... Not sure where his average is now though, somewhere in the 8s or somewhere in the 6s?

I can see Covatti at Ipswich again but I'd love to see him also, he was great fun to watch this season

Depends how many burgers he's had.... :P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Depends how many burgers he's had.... :P

Mustn't have had very many burgers before the race when he beat Freddie, Nicki and Pawllcki in the GP at the weekend ;) Plus I like his black kevlars/covers... So that's all the reason to sign him

Edited by Dandelion

1 minute ago, Dandelion said:

Mustn't have had very many burgers before the race when he beat Freddie, Nicki and Pawllcki in the GP at the weekend ;) Plus I like his black kevlars/covers... So that's all the reason to sign him

His last average (2016) was 8.00.

Just now, StevePark said:

His last average (2016) was 8.00.

Damn, hoping it would be more 6.00, but he'd still be a good shout, imo... Just as long as he's not thinking long term for 2020 when he rides for Edinburgh... :P

2 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Fair play, didn't realise he was there for 2 years, who knows... Maybe he will double up with Peterborough and Newcastle ;) The league formats might be all up in the air

Summers (Rzeszow), Newman (Ostrow), Bjerre (Krakow) and Richie (Rawicz) all do/have done this year, and I can only see Polish clubs being interested in JP as he gets better... NBJ has also been involved over the last couple of seasons in Poland, so he's just as likely to be back there, just because he wasn't there in 2018, doesn't mean he's not there for 2019... However, I do understand that just because a rider rides in Poland, doesn't completely rule him out for us... Look at Matej for example

Another rider I'd like to see would be Kevin Wolbert, always quite liked him... Not sure where his average is now though, somewhere in the 8s or somewhere in the 6s?

I can see Covatti at Ipswich again but I'd love to see him also, he was great fun to watch this season

Wolbert is one of the riders who can be one of the best to watch or flop and then go backwards rather quickly during the night. But in saying that, having some time away from UK Speedway could've done him some good and could be worth a punt

Edited by Shaggy

13 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Wolbert is one of the riders who can be one of the best to watch or flop and then go backwards rather quickly during the night. But in saying that, having some time away from UK Speedway could've done him some good and could be worth a punt

I can imagine him being frustrating sometimes... But he's more of a number 1 than any of the riders we've had this year

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Wolbert rode for Opole this year (and Bach for Bydgoszcz) and both banged in some decent scores so I can't see them giving up mega bucks in Poland for bucks in England. Matej did start in Poland (that's why he was unavailable at the start of the season), and only became available after he was dropped because of poor scores! Both Wolbert and Bach were in Div 2 so we shouldn't (Ha) get a facility if they were missing.

15 hours ago, Figureof8heed said:

For the most part, Div2 in Poland really isn't "mega bucks". 

I know a few guys who race in Division 2 which is the third tier in Poland and the points money is Double and in one case Treble what they earn in the UK Premiership so it wont be sniffed at that's for sure

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

Are the crowds 2 or 3 times larger than what teams get here, and what are the main differences between how the sport is run in Poland and Sweden for that matter, and how it 'is run' in this country?

There must be lessons that can be learned from our Continental cousins.

1 hour ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

Are the crowds 2 or 3 times larger than what teams get here, and what are the main differences between how the sport is run in Poland and Sweden for that matter, and how it 'is run' in this country?

Some one will tell us as I cant remember but the one of the play off finals drew a crowd of over 15,000 with people locked out as it was a full sell out crowd with the stadium rammed.

Again I am not sure how true this is but I was also  told that due to the sponsorship and the TV revenues that Speedway teams receive in Poland it wouldn't matter if they got no crowd

Says quite a bit I would say

Oh and chatting to a locally adopted Geordie Swede (before he went AWOL) I don't think things are totally rosy in Sweden with regard to their leagues and set up unfortunately

Regards
THJ

2 hours ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

From what I can gather the most successful clubs are in areas where generally the football teams aren't so hot (there are exceptions). Stadiums and teams are heavily supported my their local councils, and a lot of recent stadium improvements have been funded by local council/ EU (ours) money. A lot of teams seem to rely on the new seasons sponsorship money to pay off the previous season's debts (i.e. the riders). Yes crowds are often in the thousands (sometimes tens of) for league matches but an under 21 match at the same venue can attract a crowd of usually less than 300.

In crowd terms Poland has always been the exception even going back to the 70’s they were 10 times UK crowds.

Sweden had low attendances until the ‘Rickardson’ effect but now attendances are starting to decline as are their riders.

Congratulations to Josh Embleton 2018 Northern Junior league Champion. 5 wins in the qualifying heats, a win in his semi-final, and a win in the final. Not all from the gate either. Well Done Josh.

And also to Durham ( Archie & Danny ) for winning the County of Origin Pairs Championship, also at redcar this afternoon. A vital 3rd place in the final from the back after he totally missed the gate for Danny to back up Archie's win. 

The futures bright, the futures "Newcastle Gems"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1