British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Hopwood 'v' Phillips,,, who has the greater potential for improvement ?

Hopwoods league debut 2007 and still a 3 point reserve ,dont think he is going to improve .  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Hopwood 'v' Phillips,,, who has the greater potential for improvement ?

Hopwood has been around a long time, not worth trying,  Imo

• Like 1

Yeah, Hopwood might not improve much, but he was great to watch, steady, never looked like falling and you could see he gave 110% in every ride, I mean riders like Jordan Jenkins might be better potential wise, but is he likely to sign for us? Probably not... And Danny Phillips wont improve much past 4.00ish imo, which I believe Ben can reach too tbh... Ben Hopwood is a nice, steady choice who would beat the other 2.00 reserves in the league pretty steadily, even if it's just staying on his bike... Chessell for Glasgow, Garcia for Berwick, Castagna for Birmingham, Lawson for Edinburgh aren't exactly a young, up and coming riders... The team needs a little bit of experience as so far, Matty aside, it's pretty young

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Yeah, Hopwood might not improve much, but he was great to watch, steady, never looked like falling and you could see he gave 110% in every ride, I mean riders like Jordan Jenkins might be better potential wise, but is he likely to sign for us? Probably not... And Danny Phillips wont improve much past 4.00ish imo, which I believe Ben can reach too tbh... Ben Hopwood is a nice, steady choice who would beat the other 2.00 reserves in the league pretty steadily, even if it's just staying on his bike... Chessell for Glasgow, Garcia for Berwick, Castagna for Birmingham, Lawson for Edinburgh aren't exactly a young, up and coming riders... The team needs a little bit of experience as so far, Matty aside, it's pretty young

I think I heard that Jenkins is not planning 2nd tier in 2019 so that he can prioritise the completion of his studies

1 minute ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I think I heard that Jenkins is not planning 2nd tier in 2019 so that he can prioritise the completion of his studies

Ah fair enough, good luck to him :) Wondered why no one had picked him up yet tbh

my cash is on Phillips cos he can gate and will come good as the season progresses .

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Garcia and Castagna are both younger than Ben Hopwood

Edited by crescent girl

2 hours ago, crescent girl said:

And in Garcia's case, far better.

22 hours ago, InfinitiDiamonds said:

What about Kenny Wennerstam think he about 2:15 

Wouldn't he be minimum 4.00?

3 hours ago, crescent girl said:

55 minutes ago, JCookie said:

And in Garcia's case, far better.

Thought all of these new rules were to support the Brits? I mean fair enough, I like Paco and Fernando, but at least Ben's British, and you can't exactly call me racist or whatever because I'm not even British myself, just seems a bit pointless trying to set all of these rules to help young Brits, and then getting Italians and Argentinians instead...

I think it should be the fast track reserve rules like what was in the EL a few years back... Just NL riders in the Championship and Championship riders in the PL, and they stay there all season no matter how their average grows and so on... And it just means Paco and Fernando would be at number 2 or something instead

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

I think it should be the fast track reserve rules like what was in the EL a few years back... Just NL riders in the Championship and Championship riders in the PL, and they stay there all season no matter how their average grows and so on... 

For me, staying there all season didn’t work in the EL because it gave some teams trump cards and an unfair advantage. Half the season would be reasonable.

14 minutes ago, DC2 said:

For me, staying there all season didn’t work in the EL because it gave some teams trump cards and an unfair advantage. Half the season would be reasonable.

They tried it a few years ago in the then PL and it was scrapped half way through the season because a couple of the reserves were averaging somewhere near 8, IIRC (one was Tai Wofinden and I think the other was Jon Armstrong, but could be wrong).

20 minutes ago, StevePark said:

They tried it a few years ago in the then PL and it was scrapped half way through the season because a couple of the reserves were averaging somewhere near 8, IIRC (one was Tai Wofinden and I think the other was Jon Armstrong, but could be wrong).

Was Steve Boxall not another one who was averaging over 8?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Was Steve Boxall not another one who was averaging over 8?

Yes. It was Boxall and Armstrong and they were knocking in scores of 10 and 11 every meeting and making it a mockery. In saying that I believe that is the rule in Poland, and Zmarzlik was one of the beneficiary  a few of years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, StevePark said:

It was abused in the EL too, with the better reserve having five or more rides and the worse one only three.

Rather than make it compulsory to have new NL riders at reserve, attractive averages should be sufficient for them to be recruited, provided experienced CL riders are not allowed to have low averages.

Say, 2 for those above NL 6.5 and 2.5 for those above NL 8.5, and a minimum of 3 for a second season in the CL. 

So that this year, for example, Rowe would be 2, Kemp 2.5 and Jack Smith 3.

Foreigners should never be allowed to be less than 5, or maybe 4 for those under 20.