British Speedway Forum

39 minutes ago, Tonystark said:

Got to be better 2 point riders than Danny Phillips tried him once why go down that option. Happy with lasse signing 

I would ordinarily agree with you, however, Danny had a full season last year in a league with extremely strong reserves and wasn’t off the pace.  This year the standard is an awful lot less, and seeing a lot of no7s and a few no6s that are NL standard, and most who are not out and out too dogs like Drew Kemp, I think Danny is definitely worth a shot, and if anything, a lot more experienced...

i think it’s a big season for him this year, and one he needs to make inroads, but even putting a point on his average will be fantastic on the back of the injuries he suffered, but that would be the challenge I set him in this league.

im more than happy with the team this year, a lot of opportunities if people click, but success is dependant on them clicking as it is with every team every year.

hats off to the promotion team, what I would say is the new season fills me with excitement. New riders in the team, it will be fantastic to watch them all develop around brough,and defo far from the predictable “norm”..

bring on next season, well done Martin and george and thanks for giving us something a little different to wet the speedway appetite 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Just out of interest, are you the Redcar supporter who ed go turn up at BP dressed as a condom? Just asking...

?

6 minutes ago, Diamond geezer said:

I would ordinarily agree with you, however, Danny had a full season last year in a league with extremely strong reserves and wasn’t off the pace.  This year the standard is an awful lot less, and seeing a lot of no7s and a few no6s that are NL standard, and most who are not out and out too dogs like Drew Kemp, I think Danny is definitely worth a shot, and if anything, a lot more experienced...

i think it’s a big season for him this year, and one he needs to make inroads, but even putting a point on his average will be fantastic on the back of the injuries he suffered, but that would be the challenge I set him in this league.

im more than happy with the team this year, a lot of opportunities if people click, but success is dependant on them clicking as it is with every team every year.

hats off to the promotion team, what I would say is the new season fills me with excitement. New riders in the team, it will be fantastic to watch them all develop around brough,and defo far from the predictable “norm”..

bring on next season, well done Martin and george and thanks for giving us something a little different to wet the speedway appetite 

Unfortunately Danny was off the pace for the majority of last season let’s hope it’s a better year for him

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Danny Phillips and Lasse Bjerre complete the 1-7

danny is going to shock a few in 2019 .  will not be surprised if he gets around 3.5 to 4.00 average .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jenga said:

danny is going to shock a few in 2019 .  will not be surprised if he gets around 3.5 to 4.00 average .

Totally agree with that 

• Haha 1

Well certainly a huge change of tack and I’m only pleased we have a second recognised heatleader. 

Tommy and Lasse are going to have learn Brough Park quickly and make it a comfortable home. Hope we pay Robbo’s petrol to get him up for a few early season sessions.

Most teams have an obvious third heat-leader, we don’t and it will be interesting to see if one of the other 3 can cement themselves in that position?

Max I imagine will beat most reserves and many number 2’s at home without too much trouble.  

Danny was beating folk in the National League so hopefully can find some form? With any luck the sponsors are setting him up with good kit and he started to score points the last time by getting out the gate. Maybe Tommy can help him with that?

There is an irony that our team last year was only running at about 38 points when Matej came in so we were at this standard anyway but the league as a whole has dumbed down to survive and keep teams open.

Edited by Brough Diamond

Danny Phillips averaging 4?? The lads true average was around 0.25 in his last 15 matches for scunthorpe and wasn’t much better in his previous ones. He scores around 1 point every 10 rides and shouldn’t be given another chance at this level.  Oh hang on, it’s a far less level now isn’t it.    Dressing up 5 point men as heat leaders (Mat Wethers will be our number 3) let that sink in when you all said last years team was rubbishe when he was a reserve.  Daft thing is this team will be mid table which proves they are serving up a weaker and weaker product every year 

3 hours ago, Bellers101 said:

Lesser Bjerre is a bad penny just ask Redcar and Sheffield so Newcastle is the ideal team for him. Just saying!

There is 2 sides to a coin, wether it be a penny or a pound.

I would personally have Pavlova as our third heat leader, with Matty as his partner and Nike and Thomas 1 and 2, would be a very strong and exciting 1 and 2 pairing imo...

1. Thomas Jorgensen

2. Nike Lunna

3. Victor Palovaara

4. Matthew Wethers

5. Lasse Bjerre

6. Danny Phillips

7. Max Clegg

Lunna and Clegg in heat 8 would be strong, and it would mean that Danny at 6 would be partnered mostly with Lasse, a strong heat leader, so he's less dependant on winning himself and can just focus on getting back on track with his riding... Really pleased with this years team, even without Ludvig, I'm disappointed he's not back but maybe it's for the better for him and the team... Good luck in 2019 Newcastle Diamonds... And all riders around the world, Merry Christmas and a happy new year

Quick side question, who is our captain? Haven't seen that information yet... Dunno what some of these riders are like leadership wise...

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dandelion said:

I would personally have Pavlova as our third heat leader, with Matty as his partner and Nike and Thomas 1 and 2, would be a very strong and exciting 1 and 2 pairing imo...

1. Thomas Jorgensen

2. Nike Lunna

3. Victor Palovaara

4. Matthew Wethers

5. Lasse Bjerre

6. Danny Phillips

7. Max Clegg

Lunna and Clegg in heat 8 would be strong, and it would mean that Danny at 6 would be partnered mostly with Lasse, a strong heat leader, so he's less dependant on winning himself and can just focus on getting back on track with his riding... Really pleased with this years team, even without Ludvig, I'm disappointed he's not back but maybe it's for the better for him and the team... Good luck in 2019 Newcastle Diamonds... And all riders around the world, Merry Christmas and a happy new year

Quick side question, who is our captain? Haven't seen that information yet... Dunno what some of these riders are like leadership wise...

I'd have Matty at 2 with Victor and Nike at 3 and 4 (doesn't really matter which way round they are) and I'd also swap Max and Danny round too.  Just personal opinion, of course.

I think, in addition to being OK at home, for the most part, again this year, we should do better away from home than we have the past few seasons (that's not a dig at any riders we've had in the past, by the way!), so we might finish top 6. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tonystark said:

Got to be better 2 point riders than Danny Phillips tried him once why go down that option. Happy with lasse signing 

If you look at the other teams, many have at least one or in some cases two reserve riders who are new to the Championship and riders that Danny Phillips rode against in the National League last season. That should mean he can compete with those riders and find points easier to come by.

Reasonably solid Newcastle side, and one or two names in that team who would not think of Newcastle type riders 

Of the last two riders.

Not surprised to see Phillips name down on the team sheet with his old man one of the promoters at the club and he did a decent job when he was last there.

Bjerre, good rider and kind be spectacular on his day, but is someone who is very difficult to manage and can be at times disruptive, if you can get him in the right fame of mind and happy he is capable of beating anyone, if not then you have problems and he will let you know.    

• Like 5