British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, slyfox said:

That the Tom Bacon who is already signed for Redcar.

yeah, that's him.

10 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Lambo is probably the best bet of the remaining riders available, if it was someone who was dropping into reserve I would suggest taking a calculated gamble on Josh McDonald would be worth the risk but not to stick him into the main body of the team...

Plus what Lambo lacks at Brough he will make up for on many of the away tracks we have usually done poorly at...

However Martin Phillips has surprised a few this season with his team selections and he has pulled a master stroke in bringing Stevie back so I am happy to wait and see who he brings in... 

Who knows the Worrall signing might bring a few fans back...  Arsonfire is a miss galloping round the terraces doing the updates and hopefully he hasn't given up on the sport...

Regards 

THJ 

Regarding Lambert,,, just been looking at his 2018 ave. it was about 5 at home, (P'boro) and 3 away, that would suggest to me that he wouldn't make a real difference on the road.

• Like 2

I remember a few seasons a go, Simon guested for us at Brough, fairly late on in the season. He got clobbered the night before and was very battered and bruised, but rode for us anyway, because he knew we were desperate.  You can't fault the lads commitment, but Brough is not one of his favourite tracks and would be in the main body of the team and I think he is a reserve at best these days.

Mason Campton has said on Facebook, we should give Josh MacDonald a go. The trouble with that is, he would have to hit the ground running.  He'd be in the main body of the team and won't have seen many of the away tracks, let alone Brough.

As mentioned above, Carl Wilkinson would come into the reckoning, simply by the numbers game and again would come in to the main body of the side.  He'd (obviously) give 100%, but is he just a decent reserve these days?

On balance I would personally go for MacDonald.  I think he'd become an asset and might just be the next good thing out of Oz.  There is only one way to find that out and take a 'gamble' on him.  There would be little lost if it didn't work out, for either party.

• Like 5

you have to give  Josh Mcdonald a go. he seems keen enough and wont set off any alarms in newcastle hotels .  wilko has had his day . time to bring in new blood i think .

Edited by jenga
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Regarding Lambert,,, just been looking at his 2018 ave. it was about 5 at home, (P'boro) and 3 away, that would suggest to me that he wouldn't make a real difference on the road.

Regarding Lambert and looking at some of his actual scores last year at the sides left in the league this season from last;

Berwick 4+1 @ 2
Glasgow 9+1 @ 6
Redcar 3++1 @ 6
Scunny 9+1 @ 6
Sheffield 2+0 @ 7
Edinburgh 4+1 @ 7

Newcastle 0+0 @ 2

So this would suggest to me that Simon would possibly be scoring more on the road than he would at Newcastle and he does have the experience to ride at Number 2 however...

7 minutes ago, StevePark said:

I remember a few seasons a go, Simon guested for us at Brough, fairly late on in the season. He got clobbered the night before and was very battered and bruised, but rode for us anyway, because he knew we were desperate.  You can't fault the lads commitment, but Brough is not one of his favourite tracks and would be in the main body of the team and I think he is a reserve at best these days.

Mason Campton has said on Facebook, we should give Josh MacDonald a go. The trouble with that is, he would have to hit the ground running.  He'd be in the main body of the team and won't have seen many of the away tracks, let alone Brough.

As mentioned above, Carl Wilkinson would come into the reckoning, simply by the numbers game and again would come in to the main body of the side.  He'd (obviously) give 100%, but is he just a decent reserve these days?

On balance I would personally go for MacDonald.  I think he'd become an asset and might just be the next good thing out of Oz.  There is only one way to find that out and take a 'gamble' on him.  There would be little lost if it didn't work out, for either party.

You cant argue with this logic and the comment Steve makes is spot on, Simon would be a good reserve , how he would fare in the main body at home is anyone's guess, possibly not very well if past history is anything to go on; however he does have the experience at this level and will hit the ground running; and should score away. (should)

Again it is hard to disagree with the comments made regarding Carl Wilkinson who is in the exact same position as Simon I would suggest; in that he is a competent reserve but elevated into the main body of the team could be a risk; but again he has bags of experience and could do a job without massively improving and neither rider would let the team down effort wise. (would)

This brings us on to young Josh and I stand by my first thought that it would be a "no-brainer" if we were bringing him in at reserve as this was where Workington were going to slot him in and built their team to accommodate him in that position. It could be a big gamble to put him into the number 2 slot from the off. (could)

However you are correct in stating he'd become an asset and very well could be the "next good thing out of Oz."  (could)

It will be down to the promotion to take/make a hard decision and its a case of "you pays your money and takes your choice" and again it does need to be stated Newcastle have a good reputation for looking after young riders; supporting them in their development and bringing them on. (many a young foreign rider would attest to that) It could depend on how Josh feels at being slotted in at Number 2 because if he was to struggle it could seriously knock his confidence; and Brough is a tough spot for a novice. Even at reserve let alone slotting into the main body of the team.

Not an easy call by any stretch of the imagination unless of course there is someone else out there we have not thought of and we get another big surprise and everyone says "well I didn't see that one coming" as Martin has puled a few surprises since he came onto the scene so interesting times. 

So Should; Would; Could; Dilemmas Dilemmas Dilemmas!!! however always options and possibilities 

Regards
THJ

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Tsunami said:

JBA and Lasse would be a reunion to watch.:o:D Did you mean MBA ?

Yes put the wrong initial. Meant MBA. JBA would not fit anyway.

4 hours ago, slyfox said:

Yes put the wrong initial. Meant MBA. JBA would not fit anyway.

Thank goodness. JBA and Lasse were old teammates at Redcar in 2017. That have a history of riding each out, and there has been track incidents both at Redcar and away. Get’s a bit feisty at time. Quite pleased JBA doesn’t fit.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Haha 1

Weighing up all the options and comments here I think MacDonald would be the best shout. When you look over the years at how quickly young Aussies have come on then it is definitely worth the gamble as all of the candidates out there would be a risk.

Aussies and New Zealanders seem to have speedway hard-wired into their DNA and I can recall seeing a very raw Jason Crump at Brough back in the day and thinking "theres one for the future."

I suppose somebody thought Jason Doyle might be a gamble at some stage.

10 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Thank goodness. JMA and Lasse were old teammates at Redcar in 2017. That have a history of riding each out, and there has been track incidents both at Redcar and away. Get’s a bit feisty at time. Quite pleased JMA doesn’t fit.

Or JBA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure josh would have mason in his pit if he comes over with him to help him with setups etc and seeing  his rides at shieffield he just got better every race yes looked a bit loose on the bike but always looked in control and think max Clegg will not be at reserve for long good asset to have these days

• Like 2

I still like the idea of Daniel Spiller, might surprise a lot of people imo... Improved A LOT since riding for Eastbourne and he is kinda British afterall... A British club should give him a try...

To me it's a No brainer to go for Madonald. With all due respect to them Lambert and Wilkinson are yesterday's men. Both solid and highly unlikely to improve. Whereas MacDonald has youth on his side and seems to be well thought of as a good prospect by his fellow Australians. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

To me it's a No brainer to go for Madonald. With all due respect to them Lambert and Wilkinson are yesterday's men. Both solid and highly unlikely to improve. Whereas MacDonald has youth on his side and seems to be well thought of as a good prospect by his fellow Australians. 

Yes I agree. Last year we took big time to the riding of Edinburgh's Josh Pickering, and he was on everyone's wanted list for this year. He was a free riding rider flying around the boards at Brough, of all places, similar to Ludde on a good night. Here we have a situation of a similar rider, praised by those who have actually seen him last year, and he is over here with a patriality visa, with bikes, and ready to ride, and we gain an asset. What's there not to like. :D:P

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Yes I agree. Last year we took big time to the riding of Edinburgh's Josh Pickering, and he was on everyone's wanted list for this year. He was a free riding rider flying around the boards at Brough, of all places, similar to Ludde on a good night. Here we have situation of a similar rider, praised by those who have actually seen him last year, and he is over here with a patriartry with bikes and ready to ride and we gain an asset. What's there not to like. :D:P

It's just a pity ludde never had many a good night board scraping last season !! & It will be good to see a Pickering type rider to excite the fans & hopefully get a few more fans back to brough,, also another plus side to Steve returning is that he was a big help to Danny the last time they were together at brough until Danny's unfortunate crash as he was getting the hang at brough. So let's hope the same happens this term but with a much happier result

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Also I forgot to add (as I totally forgot about it) Simon got 5 + 1 riding at No 3 for us against Berwick in the TTT match May 19th 2018 which I know was only a challenge match but it possibly gives an indication of what he can do.

Furthermore here is a name not mentioned how about Jacob Bukhave who I watched I think last season (or maybe the season before at Redcar) after returning from a bad injury, looked quick and is as keen as mustard to ride over here and another Dane to keep up the tradition

So with 4.45 for a Brit and 4.34 for an overseas rider I would be more than happy with one of the following

Simon Lambert 4.29 or
Jacob Bukhave 4.00 or
Josh McDonald 4.00 or
Mikkel B Andersen 4.29

Although it is starting to look like Josh McDonald is fast becoming the fans choice and as stated I am not that bothered and would be happy to see what he can do/achieve at Newcastle: however if it does end up as Josh please remember that currently he is carrying the popular vote on here as the majorities choice but if he was to land and struggled I hope he still gets the support and doesn't get cast aside like an old steel shoe or slaughtered for poor performance, he needs continued support... as in a similar level of support that Kyle Bickley got/received from Workington last year

I am enjoying this any other suggestions out there? (Derek Sneddon 4.72 in 2014 and would get a reduction on that after all we did salvage Matty Wethers career) Remembering also that the rider will be going into the main body of the team possibly/probably in the No 2 slot

Regards
THJ

• Like 2