British Speedway Forum

16 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Wish we had 42 points limit,,,as 38 is killing our league 

Some teams wanted a 36 point limit, so thank your lucky stars

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

I just cannot fathom out why we have team declarations of 36, 38 & 42.5 in our 3 leagues. :nono:

Can anybody put it in a nutshell as to why the limit was dropped to 38 ?

5 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Can anybody put it in a nutshell as to why the limit was dropped to 38 ?

To attempt to create separation between the Prem and Champ sides as the level was previously incredibly similar. Buster wanted his top flight to be more superior in standard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

To attempt to create separation between the Prem and Champ sides as the level was previously incredibly similar. Buster wanted his top flight to be more superior in standard.

I can see the reasoning behind that, but for it to have any long term effect,,, surely it will have to be the same next year and so on ?

24 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Steve could have got away with 36 points if both the national & championship league's had merged and create a much better league with more English riders rather than foreigners like back in the 70's with the exception of 1 or 2 & I think the crowds ( not all of them ) would still be able to keep clubs afloat I maybe wrong but that's my thinking of it.. what you think..

• Like 1

Guest Loose Diamond
On 5/2/2019 at 11:21 PM, homer said:

lost one league match away at Leicester and already crying for changes get a grip

Ok. Get a grip?? Danny Phillips has not improved at all and Simon Lambert cannot ride Newcastle. May do a bit better if he drops to reserve but somehow I doubt it.

47 minutes ago, StevePark said:

One team wanted (and proposed) a 32 point limit (pre AGM) for this league on the grounds of escalating rider costs and then when they arrived at the BSPA meeting they miraculously changed their mind and wanted a 42 point limit!!! Must have found some change down the back of the sofa possibly!!!

30 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Totally correct; however the top flight is only the premiership from two year back interspersed with the odd top marque rider now

20 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

I can see the reasoning behind that, but for it to have any long term effect,,, surely it will have to be the same next year and so on ?

It is supposed to be for the next few years as didn't they say the multiplier between the leagues will go up by 0.1 each year until it arrives at 2 like the good old days!!! so in theory whatever it is now multiply or divide between the top two leagues by 1.5 that would suggest that it is in for the next 5 years, however I can see that changing as you can still have your 0.1 increase each year and build to 42 points. 

However the other reason for this was to supposedly allow a reduction in the rates paid to riders and spread the available riders more fairly across the leagues (as there is a rider shortage) pushing the better riders up but personally I don't think it will work and some other bright idea will raise its head within the next couple of years (that wont work either) the "System" never works!!! 

Regards
THJ

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Loose Diamond
1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Ridiculous. I'm sure this was brought in to seemingly equalise team strengths so how come it seems every season has the same teams at the top of the League???

Guest Loose Diamond
Just now, Loose Diamond said:

Ridiculous. I'm sure this was brought in to seemingly equalise team strengths so how come it seems every season has the same teams at the top of the League???

They are devaluing the League.

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Erm ... what did you expect! Most threads mentioning team changes are saying " now we are over the 38 point limit .........". It was always going to happen as averages are based over 7 riders having 4 rides each, riding in pairs equalling 14 heats at 42 points.

I just cannot fathom out why we have team declarations of 36, 38 & 42.5 in our 3 leagues. :nono:

So why not go 45 for prem 42.5 for championship & 40.5 for national League,, it's a travesty when we have rider in the lower league structures like the mid/southern/NJL who can't get a fair crack of the whip due to the points limit in all our leagues as it has a big big knock on affect all the way down to grassroots 

25 minutes ago, Loose Diamond said:

They are devaluing the League.

Yes, in an attempt to make the top league 'look' better, rather than trying to 'make' the top league better ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pienpeesman said:

So why not go 45 for prem 42.5 for championship & 40.5 for national League,, it's a travesty when we have rider in the lower league structures like the mid/southern/NJL who can't get a fair crack of the whip due to the points limit in all our leagues as it has a big big knock on affect all the way down to grassroots 

Not sure i follow your point. The NL points limit is designed to promote development league riders into the league (ready or not) and push the achievers up and out so in that sense it is working. 

In the two higher divisions it will always be broken all the while riders have two separate averages especially when they can be signed in the close season on the most recent average.

Using Ben Barkers numbers as purely an example:

Current Prem ave 5.63

Current Champ ave 6.77

If he doesn't sign for another Prem side this year next year he will be available in the top flight on his latest Champ average divided by 1.6 so potentially 6.77/1.6 = 4.23.

Same rider, same division 1 year on available almost 1.5 points lower, anyone else expecting pre-planned manipulation occurring.

31 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Not sure i follow your point. The NL points limit is designed to promote development league riders into the league (ready or not) and push the achievers up and out so in that sense it is working. 

In the two higher divisions it will always be broken all the while riders have two separate averages especially when they can be signed in the close season on the most recent average.

Using Ben Barkers numbers as purely an example:

Current Prem ave 5.63

Current Champ ave 6.77

If he doesn't sign for another Prem side this year next year he will be available in the top flight on his latest Champ average divided by 1.6 so potentially 6.77/1.6 = 4.23.

Same rider, same division 1 year on available almost 1.5 points lower, anyone else expecting pre-planned manipulation occurring.

Simple solution. he has an established premiership avg therefore that should take preference irrespective what league he is in next year. Premiership 5.63. Championship 5.63  x 1.6 = 9.00.

The points limit should be 42 ish for both leagues. The current system is supposed to try and reduce doubling up/ down but it'll never work as long as riders have a seperate average in each league.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, screm said:

Byyy,,, they've done a good job of cleaning that air fence.

It looks brand new ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Haha 1