British Speedway Forum

So another week, another home loss.

I have followed speedway (and many other sports) for over 30 years - yet I have never been so disillusioned with anything as badly as I am tonight.

The glorious thing with sport is that two factors can lead to victory, desire and ability. 

My last post was around which riders had succeeded (Matty, Max and to a lesser extent Danny who is now showing at home at least he has the better of most #7s) 

of the remaining:

1) Steve - what on earth is going on with him? I thought if anything would be the end of him it would be his injury, he was a far better rider at the start of the season - so what is the cause? He can’t beat even average riders around brough and quite frankly he doesn’t look interested. Not seen him so down on confidence since the season he asked to be stepped down.

2) Ulrich - can’t be blamed - on his average at least (although started the season as a #1, and right now is just a above average second string).

3) Lasse - Am I missing something? He is crap isn’t he? He picks up points where they are easy yet never ever looks capable of beating anyone decent! NO HEART

5) TJ - slightly different to the above - he can’t hate for toffee, but at least looks like he puts the flipping effort in. The move to us just not working - but I still retain hope he can fly if he gets out.

This team doesn’t feel like a George team. And if I am honest, I am concerned - it feels like something is happening which is making top riders drop points (and averages) 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Diamond geezer said:

So another week, another home loss.

I have followed speedway (and many other sports) for over 30 years - yet I have never been so disillusioned with anything as badly as I am tonight.

The glorious thing with sport is that two factors can lead to victory, desire and ability. 

My last post was around which riders had succeeded (Matty, Max and to a lesser extent Danny who is now showing at home at least he has the better of most #7s) 

of the remaining:

1) Steve - what on earth is going on with him? I thought if anything would be the end of him it would be his injury, he was a far better rider at the start of the season - so what is the cause? He can’t beat even average riders around brough and quite frankly he doesn’t look interested. Not seen him so down on confidence since the season he asked to be stepped down.

2) Ulrich - can’t be blamed - on his average at least (although started the season as a #1, and right now is just a above average second string).

3) Lasse - Am I missing something? He is crap isn’t he? He picks up points where they are easy yet never ever looks capable of beating anyone decent! NO HEART

5) TJ - slightly different to the above - he can’t hate for toffee, but at least looks like he puts the flipping effort in. The move to us just not working - but I still retain hope he can fly if he gets out.

This team doesn’t feel like a George team. And if I am honest, I am concerned - it feels like something is happening which is making top riders drop points (and averages) 

I agree with you, especially your last point i get the feeling the team was more Martin Phillip's selections. I don't know what kind of hold he has on Newcastle and what financial clout he has in the club. Ged Rathbone is at every home meeting. Interesting to see if he would get involved in the club in the future.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Winditon said:

I agree with you, especially your last point i get the feeling the team was more Martin Phillip's selections. I don't know what kind of hold he has on Newcastle and what financial clout he has in the club. Ged Rathbone is at every home meeting. Interesting to see if he would get involved in the club in the future.

Some very good points there

• Like 1

ged is there for uli,totally agree about matty max and Danny,the top 3 need a right good shake or replacing.all season people have been on Danny’s case how he can’t be carried,truthfully it’s sw,tj and lb that are been carried .total rubbish tbh.

Hope max is ok obviously hurt himself after that nasty crash in heat 2.well done Danny 

• Like 1

Steve will come good. A little low on confidence and not quite getting the bike working how it should.

Ulrich will never be great round Brough but beats the 2nd strings who hate Brough. Needs gating gloves on as he cannot pass.

Lasse not good for Diamonds. Gets heat 15 cos he beat Kerr in rerun of hit 3 then reserves after that. Never was going to get a point in last one. 

Tommy gun just can’t get to grips with Newcastle or the championship for that matter. Hope he has a good one at Scunny. Seems to do better in Premiership.

Max is an enigma when he gates he’s quick , was half a straight behind in most races tonight.Never be more than a reserve in a league like this.

Danny scoring his average again but needs more if getting zero away from home. Should not be getting beat by Edwards at home.

Matty going great and should win rider of the year with as many votes as the rest of the team put together if there is any justice.

Looked like a wooden spoon elect team, but should bounce back against a woeful Brummie team and could do with a boost at Scunny on Friday.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Winditon said:

Told you 2 or 3 years ago but you wouldnt listen and just tried to take the pi55.....

Edited by Arson fire
  • Like 1

Well, trying to look on the brighter side,,, if Danny can score a couple of points at Scunny on Friday, I think he will be an 'official 2 pointer' :t:

(If the match doesn't go ahead, he definitely will be next month).

Might as well support Redcar and go to the darker side:o

On 8/17/2019 at 11:18 PM, pienpeesman said:

Hopefully come the winter that the powers that be ( Bspa ) get there fans heads on & produce a structure for next season that we can enjoy and look forward to going to a meeting.. or it could be damaging for promotion's for the future as some of our die hard fans won't be around forever so it's time for all ( promotion's ) to get things in order  ,,

The promotions ARE the BSPA.         Decisions reached at AGM for a new season are discussed and voted on by ALL promotions!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Looked like a wooden spoon elect team, but should bounce back against a woeful Brummie team and could do with a boost at Scunny on Friday.

Brummies aren't 'woeful' any more ... should be a close match!

12 hours ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Steve will come good. A little low on confidence and not quite getting the bike working how it should.

Ulrich will never be great round Brough but beats the 2nd strings who hate Brough. Needs gating gloves on as he cannot pass.

Lasse not good for Diamonds. Gets heat 15 cos he beat Kerr in rerun of hit 3 then reserves after that. Never was going to get a point in last one. 

Tommy gun just can’t get to grips with Newcastle or the championship for that matter. Hope he has a good one at Scunny. Seems to do better in Premiership.

Max is an enigma when he gates he’s quick , was half a straight behind in most races tonight.Never be more than a reserve in a league like this.

Danny scoring his average again but needs more if getting zero away from home. Should not be getting beat by Edwards at home.

Matty going great and should win rider of the year with as many votes as the rest of the team put together if there is any justice.

You clearly haven't been watching Max regularly at Brough Park this season.  Last night he took a heck of a knock in heat 2, so you'd be a bit slower than normal for the rest of the night after that.

Max has been one of the few shining lights so far this season.  Along with Matty Wethers. 

Danny now scoring what he should at home now.  Edwards finished second in the U-19 British Final, so has something about him.

• Like 1

Surely it’s more about signing riders suited to your home track.

TJ an example paid maximum for King’s Lynn against stronger riders and poor return yesterday...

This PL/CL thing has run its course and needs a bold alternative.

13 hours ago, Winditon said:

Ged Rathbone is also at Redcar every week ??   

9 minutes ago, GWC said:

Surely it’s more about signing riders suited to your home track.

TJ an example paid maximum for King’s Lynn against stronger riders and poor return yesterday...

This PL/CL thing has run its course and needs a bold alternative.

I think (although not entirely sure) the idea might have been that we would have decent chances away from home and hoped the riders not used to Brough, would do so in time.  Sadly, that clearly hasn't worked out.

The idea of the lower CL average at the start of the season was to try and get back to the days gone-by when the top flight was just that and the CL was the next level down.  Perhaps there has to be an even bigger difference in the averages between the two leagues to achieve that?