British Speedway Forum

8 hours ago, arthur cross said:

The Diamonds are awaiting Redcar's fixture plans that will also include at least the Championship play-off semi-finals (maybe the final as well) before settling on the two home Newcastle dates beyond the end of the regular season, namely the 90th Anniversary meeting as well as their leg of the Cup Final.

The one Sunday that the Diamonds want to avoid if at all possible for either of these big occasions for the club is Sunday 6th October for the simple reason that the Newcastle United v Manchester United football match in their Premier League has been switched for TV to a 4.30 kick-off that afternoon at St James' Park and it would be financial suicide to schedule any big speedway occasion that hopes to attract a crowd beyond the speedway regulars immediately after such a huge football game     

15 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Are we ever going to run the 90th? All seems very last minute... How are we going to get riders to ride if there's not even a date yet... I know it might not be the most important meeting in the world... But we've been promised it twice already... And now there's been no mention of it for weeks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2019 at 11:21 PM, StevePark said:

Ah thanks, I never saw this... Guess I need to pay more attention :D

As tomorrow is the last scheduled home meeting I'm assuming some announcements regarding the cup matches and 90th anniversary meeting will be made as the promotion can't rely on getting the information out by other methods. not everyone has access to social media or computers, especially when you look at the demographic of the supporters.

On 9/8/2019 at 2:19 PM, Fortythirtyeight said:

Are you completely devoid of any common sense.?

Having worked behind the scenes at a number of tracks I have experience of how tracks finances work. You clearly have no understanding of incomings versus outgoings. 

If one meeting brings in , say £8,000 and the cost of that meeting including wages is £6,000 then you have a small profit. Do you understand this so far?

Now run the same meeting with your income of £8,000 but double your wage bill and say that cost now comes to £10,000.

Youve just lost £2,000.

get it???

Not too late I hope to pass on the benefit of your wisdom to Glasgow who race against Sheffield and Berwick today at Ashfield. Adult ticket price £30 instead of £34 (2 x £17). Certainly don't want them to fold before next season!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

Not too late I hope to pass on the benefit of your wisdom to Glasgow who race against Sheffield and Berwick today at Ashfield. Adult ticket price £30 instead of £34 (2 x £17). Certainly don't want them to fold before next season!

and with nothing at stake for any of the clubs, apart from sorting out 5th and 6th positions in the league ;)

36 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

That's two league matches, which they arranged to get them in before the cut-off.

We are running against Redcar in the league on Sunday - before the cut-off, as I'm pretty sure the BSPA/SCB (whichever!) wanted to happen.  

Why run a Cup Final six weeks before the season has ended "just to get it in" as a Double Header, when it's been proven in the past at Newcastle, Double Headers are a money loss, as described by Arthur Cross above - and we can have another meeting to look forward to?

• Like 1

That is true but I thought individual meetings where not well attended compared to team meetings so why not hold a three team tournament for the 90th.Just have to watch the rain mind later in the calendar year as that is something else to figure into holding meetings and the cold lol.

5 minutes ago, soupy said:

That is true but I thought individual meetings where not well attended compared to team meetings so why not hold a three team tournament for the 90th.Just have to watch the rain mind later in the calendar year as that is something else to figure into holding meetings and the cold lol.

TBH it's a bit of a gamble what ever the format, as individual meetings and challenge matches (which a three team tournament would effectively be) aren't as well attended as "proper" matches.

Hopefully the riders that are coming will attract the crowd and we are entertained on the day, which is what it's really all about.

Edited by StevePark

19 minutes ago, StevePark said:

That's two league matches, which they arranged to get them in before the cut-off.

We are running against Redcar in the league on Sunday - before the cut-off, as I'm pretty sure the BSPA/SCB (whichever!) wanted to happen.  

Why run a Cup Final six weeks before the season has ended "just to get it in" as a Double Header, when it's been proven in the past at Newcastle, Double Headers are a money loss, as described by Arthur Cross above - and we can have another meeting to look forward to?

So in some circumstances its okay to run a Double Header? Not necessarily quite the emphatic loss making scenario that some would have us believe then.

11 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

So in some circumstances its okay to run a Double Header? Not necessarily quite the emphatic loss making scenario that some would have us believe then.

I would say that it's never ideal to run a double header.  Don't forget Glasgow are in the Play-offs, so need to keep at least one - maybe two weeks - free for those matches.

I would also suggest that the Glasgow promotion can probably take the hit on the potential losses they will endure, unlike most other clubs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

and with nothing at stake for any of the clubs, apart from sorting out 5th and 6th positions in the league ;)

That wasn’t the scenario when it was arranged though.If Newcastle had been in challenging position they would want the fixture before cut off date I’m sure.;)

Any news of the 90th meeting as it looks like the cup final is going to be middle of October.Might as well just shut up shop for the season and give the bears the cup.:t:

• Haha 1

Fixture update:

Diamonds match away at Edinburgh re-arranged for Fri 27th Sept (7.30pm).

15 hours ago, soupy said:

Any news of the 90th meeting as it looks like the cup final is going to be middle of October.Might as well just shut up shop for the season and give the bears the cup.:t:

You would deprive us of once again witnessing the scintillating racing your track purveys? ;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bear_Bottom said:

You would deprive us of once again witnessing the scintillating racing your track purveys? ;)

Better racing at Brough than you get down in Redcar... I'm sorry ;) Just my opinion... You just need some balls to ride Brough... Where Redcar is gate, wind it on and go...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1