British Speedway Forum

11 minutes ago, screm said:

Aaron Summers rode a few times for Wanda Krakow last season, all on Sunday`s which would seem to rule out a return to Newcastle for Aarnio.

Is Aaron riding there next season, I would defo have him in replacing Tero ;)

9 minutes ago, screm said:

Aaron Summers rode a few times for Wanda Krakow last season, all on Sunday`s which would seem to rule out a return to Newcastle for Aarnio.

diamond@heart suggests (previous page) they were relegated last season and would be riding Saturday's in 2019.

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Newcastle will run

Second Tier of Speedway (unless one big league)

Sunday still the preferred option

But who knows?

Regards
THJ

Correct, but George has already said Newcastle can't afford to run in a single league, as the more affluent teams will force up the expensive costs of all teams. Newcastle won't be the only ones as well. Difficulty is the more teams don't return, the higher chance of a single league. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Correct, but George has already said Newcastle can't afford to run in a single league, as the more affluent teams will force up the expensive costs of all teams. Newcastle won't be the only ones as well. Difficulty is the more teams don't return, the higher chance of a single league. 

Time the Championship was made an amateur league, riders riding speedway as a hobby and not a job,much smaller point money covering their costs. Will  probably be just as entertaining, cannot get worse anyway.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

Time the Championship was made an amateur league, riders riding speedway as a hobby and not a job,much smaller point money covering their costs. Will  probably be just as entertaining, cannot get worse anyway.

But would smaller points money cover their costs?

IMO the cost of bikes & maintaining them has spiralled and as far as I can see, the only folk making money out of speedway in the UK are equipment retailers & engine tuners etc.

If it was to become an amateur league in  which riding became a hobby, then fans must accept that the kit used would have to be less expensive to buy & maintain.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cyclone said:

IMO the cost of bikes & maintaining them has spiralled and as far as I can see, the only folk making money out of speedway in the UK are equipment retailers & engine tuners etc.

If it was to become an amateur league in  which riding became a hobby, then fans must accept that the kit used would have to be less expensive to buy & maintain.  

Spot on, speedway has become an arms race. The top GP riders have a stable of bikes and a "team" behind them at every GP. That filters all the way down. Everybody has to have that "edge" or they are being left behind. Finding a way to limit these costs has to be the way to go.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cyclone said:

My background in motorsport was Enduro, but in the days when everything had to be paid for by myself, I afforded it because I enjoyed it. I had to work my HOBBY around my full time employment.  Time speedway riders and promoters in the lower levels realised this, and got back to basics, it is not a full time job, it is a hobby at this level. perhaps one tier being run at a professional level giving the amateurs something to strive for.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

My background in motorsport was Enduro, but in the days when everything had to be paid for by myself, I afforded it because I enjoyed it. I had to work my HOBBY around my full time employment.  Time speedway riders and promoters in the lower levels realised this, and got back to basics, it is not a full time job, it is a hobby at this level. perhaps one tier being run at a professional level giving the amateurs something to strive for.

The problems Speedway encounters are quite unique in the sense that many tracks are not available at weekends creating a lot of midweek fixtures which is something many with full time employment struggle with. I certainly agree that costs are spiralling and need to be countered but not 100% what all the answers are.

Here you go and just for a bit of fun... and of course because its silly season...

Starter for 10...

No     Newcastle                    AVE               2.50% (GB Reduction)

1        Jason Garrity               7.59               7.40
5        Tero Arrnio                   6.83               6.83
2        Ashley Morris              5.58               5.44
3        Matthew Wethers       5.78               5.64
4        Paul Starke                  5.66               5.52
6        Daniel Gappmaier       4.84               4.84

TOTAL                                  36.50              35.89

6 man team built to 36 points with GB riders getting a 2.5% reduction (and affordable)

Regards
THJ

20 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Here you go and just for a bit of fun... and of course because its silly season...

Starter for 10...

No     Newcastle                    AVE               2.50% (GB Reduction)

1        Jason Garrity               7.59               7.40
5        Tero Arrnio                   6.83               6.83
2        Ashley Morris              5.58               5.44
3        Matthew Wethers       5.78               5.64
4        Paul Starke                  5.66               5.52
6        Daniel Gappmaier       4.84               4.84

TOTAL                                  36.50              35.89

6 man team built to 36 points with GB riders getting a 2.5% reduction (and affordable)

Regards
THJ

Not really sure on how many of those would qualify for a 2.5% reduction ?

59 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

4 of them would qualify for any reduction being applied to British riders?

In my little game in my head (sorry)

Aarnio being Finnish and Gappmaier being Austrian are the two who wouldn't qualify for any reduction should that be the case for next season

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
missed out key words
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

None.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

4 of them would qualify for any reduction being applied to British riders?

Aarnio being Finnish and Gappmaier being Austrian are the two who wouldn't qualify for any reduction should that be the case for next season

Regards
THJ

I thought the reduction was applied for the first 3 seasons after NL, but that might not be the case any longer, or infact for next season. There may be lots of changes for next year, I haven't a clue what will be sorted at the AGM. Who's round it will be first, might lead to all types of chaos ;)

Perhaps THJ is suggesting a new/revised approach for 2019.....

• Like 3