British Speedway Forum
cyclone

Edinburgh vs Glasgow, SGB Championship, 24th August, 2018, 7.30pm

Just now, cinderfella said:

But the young Poles don't seem to need that time. Why is that I wonder?

Track time, track time, track time and there are not enough options for that in the UK to speed up young riders progress. What a pity that Coventry was lost to the sport it would have been a superb place to build up as the National Speedway Training Centre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

Just having a thought about last nights meeting Edinburgh, who of course own Cookie, must have been laughing when they agreed to let him race for Glasgow knowing he wouldn't be available for the derby league clash at Armadale and although being the highest averaged rider in the league the choice of guests would have been limited.

I believe that when a rider is initially loaned to a club, that club are then able to subsequently re-loan the said rider to another club as a double up/down and they receive any subsequent loan fee.

If I am correct, Glasgow would be dealing directly with Belle Vue, and Edinburgh would not be involved in the doubling down of their asset. 

I would also be surprised that Glasgow, who initiated the Cook deal, would not have been aware any fixture clashes with his GP schedule.

BTW, as the result, turned out, Ben Barker netting 14 out of a possible 18, imo, was a decent guest replacement for the absent Cook.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Think the writing was on the cards from our first home meeting when Richie went through the tapes in ht 1 and Sarj was sent out to replace him BEFORE the team manager had made a decision on whether he was going off 15m or not.

Need either Stewart Dickson (and I was never his greatest fan after way Ian Steel was treated) or Michael Max (one of the most knowledgeable guys in speedway) as team manager as current one is tactically naive to say least.

I think you’ll find Michael Max is heavily involved on a tactical basis when it comes to team management both during and post Stewart’s tenure but hey, some guys on here seem to know about all the ins and outs behind the scenes or so they like to believe  

If only I had a £1 for every time the same 2/3 guys on here say “Glasgow’s management have a lot to answer for”/“a fan promoted to manage the team” etc usual nonsense with no basis for the accusations. 

The bottom line is, the likes of Harris, Worrall and Sarjeant have been significantly poorer than  everyone expected this year. People saying we were wrong to let Richie go, his scores were shocking, he’s lost more than a point off his average. 

We gambled on keeping Harris and that’s not looking like paying off unfortunately. 

4 minutes ago, cyclone said:

I believe that when a rider is initially loaned to a club, that club are then able to subsequently re-loan the said rider to another club as a double up/down and they receive any subsequent loan fee.

If I am correct, Glasgow would be dealing directly with Belle Vue, and Edinburgh would not be involved in the doubling down of their asset. 

I would also be surprised that Glasgow, who initiated the Cook deal, would not have been aware any fixture clashes with his GP schedule.

BTW, as the result, turned out, Ben Barker netting 14 out of a possible 18, imo, was a decent guest replacement for the absent Cook.

Agreed and that’s my understanding as well. 

The glasgow promotion were very aware of the clashes and signing the highest averaged rider in the league does allow an adequate guest to be secured. 

I’ve been happy with the Cook signing and him being absent last night did not hurt us at all, poor performances from Harris and the reserves along with, what would appear to be an unfit Greaves, cost us any chance of securing a point.  

1 minute ago, Solidmango said:

I think you’ll find Michael Max is heavily involved on a tactical basis when it comes to team management both during and post Stewart’s tenure but hey, some guys on here seem to know about all the ins and outs behind the scenes or so they like to believe  

If only I had a £1 for every time the same 2/3 guys on here say “Glasgow’s management have a lot to answer for”/“a fan promoted to manage the team” etc usual nonsense with no basis for the accusations. 

The bottom line is, the likes of Harris, Worrall and Sarjeant have been significantly poorer than  everyone expected this year. People saying we were wrong to let Richie go, his scores were shocking, he’s lost more than a point off his average. 

We gambled on keeping Harris and that’s not looking like paying off unfortunately. 

When I heard who had been appointed as co'manager pre -season I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. If anyone  should have had the job, or the manager's job after Stewart resigned it was Michael. I recall him being able to quote every gate position from either column (something Vissing needed help with last night) and he is tactically aware and shrewd as well as knowledgeable as anyone I've known in my 50 years watching speedway. He would bleed red & white stripes but whether or not other commitments prevent him from taking on such a post I don't know.

3 minutes ago, Solidmango said:

Tone suggests that you do. By all means contribute to the debate, be good to get the rationale for many things from the inside.

Fans frustration has boiled over this year, its only human to vent it.

1 minute ago, MD said:

Tone suggests that you do. By all means contribute to the debate, be good to get the rationale for many things from the inside.

Fans frustration has boiled over this year, its only human to vent it.

Contrary to what people on here think, there is no major issue with team morale, a contrast to last years position when there was a total breakdown and that was during Stewart’s rein - not that I blame him for that, but I do have to laugh when people blame our poor form on the new team manager. 

I dont have an issue with people expressing opinions but 1 or 2 on here are constantly saying the same things with absolutely no evidence to back up their comments but I suppose that’s the issue with online forums! 

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

Even a towering talent like Robert Lambert needed five years to get to world-class from his NL debut.

No comment on that one.

27 minutes ago, Solidmango said:

Contrary to what people on here think, there is no major issue with team morale, a contrast to last years position when there was a total breakdown and that was during Stewart’s rein - not that I blame him for that, but I do have to laugh when people blame our poor form on the new team manager. 

I dont have an issue with people expressing opinions but 1 or 2 on here are constantly saying the same things with absolutely no evidence to back up their comments but I suppose that’s the issue with online forums! 

He is a fan managing the team what is wrong with stating that fact, what evidence do you need ?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solidmango said:

Evidence? Recent match vs Lakeside, one of the other contenders for a play-off sport and a team with two former Tigers that know Ashfield as well as anyone does. We had to prevent them from gaining even a single point to  help our own cause yet he gave a reserve who had scored 1pt from three rides another ride while the other reserve had scored 7(+1) while the score was 36-23 with 5 heats to go which included their top 3 taking 7 rides. Lakeside could have overturned that gap and secured a point which at the end of season could have been the difference in either team qualifying. 
That's is evidence of tactical naivety in my book

1 hour ago, Solidmango said:

Fair point but if there is one thing that has categorised our performances this season its been lack of fight. I thought down at Scunthorpe in July when we lost a last heat decider, that we had turned the corner. Cook got stuck in , Starke was aggressive and JT won ht2 to his credit, but not to be. We just dont seem to have that winning mentality or any one rider who can pull it out of the bag when we are up against it, perhaps thats why people question the TM, as its been season long.

We need to take stock for this year and use what we have learned to make things better for 2019. The play offs are gone IMO and even if they werent I dont have any confidence this team would do anything anyway, other than have another away meeting like last night. 

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

Evidence? Recent match vs Lakeside, one of the other contenders for a play-off sport and a team with two former Tigers that know Ashfield as well as anyone does. We had to prevent them from gaining even a single point to  help our own cause yet he gave a reserve who had scored 1pt from three rides another ride while the other reserve had scored 7(+1) while the score was 36-23 with 5 heats to go which included their top 3 taking 7 rides. Lakeside could have overturned that gap and secured a point which at the end of season could have been the difference in either team qualifying. 
That's is evidence of tactical naivety in my book

That’s a matter of opinion, we were 13 in front at that stage against, like you say, 2 former tigers who were big favourites to win the heat. I’d argue that with James being out in 2 of the next 3 heats, it would make more sense to keep him for those rather than have him race in 3 in a row. He scored 5 out of 6 and potentially won us the match with that return. 

i bet you’d have criticised if James had been in that heat and scored less in his other 2, or would you have praised the move?! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Just having a thought about last nights meeting Edinburgh, who of course own Cookie, must have been laughing when they agreed to let him race for Glasgow knowing he wouldn't be available for the derby league clash at Armadale and although being the highest averaged rider in the league the choice of guests would have been limited.

And having Armadale expert Worrall coming the other way. Excellent 

1 hour ago, JanAnderson said:

Solidmango has to be Cami Brown right?

Harsh.   No more than Cinderfella has to be M. Max. 

• Like 2