British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

Lakeside v Newcastle 24/8/18

39 minutes ago, liam said:

I personally have no problems with the rain off, we all have eyes and access to weather forecasts so can make our own mind up if we want to go and as halifaxtiger said they are not always right as proved with Scunthorpe last night. I made the decision to go last night by the way. 

I will always take a chance with local tracks in dodgy weather, but last night was never going to be on, despite what the club said. Modern technology is a wonderful thing. I can see the live rainfall radar, why can't they.

• Like 1

Exactly Cityrebel, I wished a had saved a screen shot of the rain radar at around 6:30 pm, I could have posted it and proved beyond any doubt the futility of attempting to run a meeting.

Rain can die out but not when it’s on that scale and across such a huge area of the country.

What’s the problem with them trying to run it though? If anyone knew 100% is was going to be off then don’t go. I thought it would probably be called off but took the chance.

Have to agree, if you are fully aware that there is a good chance it will rain and you travel only for it to be rained off then there is no room for complaint IMO. Weather forecasts are never a certainty so speedway promotions will try to get meetings on if there is a chance, especially with the cut off approaching. Personally I never leave the house on race night if the forecast is dodgy, have stood on the terraces in the cold and wet watching the rain hammer down or Buster going round with the big blade far too many times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Have to agree, if you are fully aware that there is a good chance it will rain and you travel only for it to be rained off then there is no room for complaint IMO. Weather forecasts are never a certainty so speedway promotions will try to get meetings on if there is a chance, especially with the cut off approaching. Personally I never leave the house on race night if the forecast is dodgy, have stood on the terraces in the cold and wet watching the rain hammer down or Buster going round with the big blade far too many times.

agree,you know nowadays the riders are not going to get changed if the forecast is rain,some don't even like a watered track!.

11 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

agree,you know nowadays the riders are not going to get changed if the forecast is rain,some don't even like a watered track!.

The promoters can say the meeting is on, but the final decision is with the riders. For that reason I never intended to hand over the money until the two minute warning went on. With such a fragmented And unreliable fixture list, who knows when the next home meeting will be. Rob Godfrey might have a BBQ planned for the 14th, so that one might be binned as well.

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake
  • Haha 5

Speedway is now run by the biggest load of idiots  since it began in this country and they have now put it in terminal decline,,,R.I.P

• Like 4

I think this was nothing more than a desperate attempt to get fans money and try and limp to ten heats no matter how farcical the racing got, ignore the fact fans pay to watch 15 heats of RACING, not ten heats of RIDING.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, marko said:

I think this was nothing more than a desperate attempt to get fans money and try and limp to ten heats no matter how farcical the racing got, ignore the fact fans pay to watch 15 heats of RACING, not ten heats of RIDING.

Even though any crowd was most likely to be low and calling it off has probably cost the promotion thousands I really doubt that was the case. My guess is why the track was raceable they thought let’s try and get the meeting on and hope the rain misses the track.

Edited by liam
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

As people began to leave the stadium I'm pretty sure they made an announcement that they are hoping to race against Peterborough next Friday but that it was still to be confirmed and there doesn't seem to be any mention of it yet on the Lakeside website or Twitter.

The date was offered to Peterborough but they have declined citing rider unavailability but, as far as I can see, only Grondal would be missing as he has a Danish league match the same day. It did appear as provisional fixture up until yesterday. However, bearing in mind Peterborough have outstanding league fixtures they might ordered to fulfill the date.

39 minutes ago, liam said:

Even though any crowd was most likely to be low and calling it off has probably cost the promotion thousands I really doubt that was the case. My guess is why the track was raceable they thought let’s try and get the meeting on and hope the rain misses the track.

According to LakesideLive the track was "rideable" there is a big difference between rideable and raceable, fans pay to watch riders race, not ride, not blaming them, they have to follow the narrative of trying to entice people to go, even if its under a false pretence.

Just now, marko said:

According to LakesideLive the track was "rideable" there is a big difference between rideable and raceable, fans pay to watch riders race, not ride, not blaming them, they have to follow the narrative of trying to entice people to go, even if its under a false pretence.

With all due respect how would Lakesidelive know? They are a couple of fans.

1 hour ago, waco said:

Speedway is now run by the biggest load of idiots  since it began in this country and they have now put it in terminal decline,,,R.I.P

It's hard to argue with that. I attended my first meeting as a wee lad at Wimbledon in September 1968, so I am fast approaching my 50th anniversary as a fan. There have been highs and lows throughout this period, but this season, without a doubt, has been the worst ever for me.

1 hour ago, tocha said:

The date was offered to Peterborough but they have declined citing rider unavailability but, as far as I can see, only Grondal would be missing as he has a Danish league match the same day. It did appear as provisional fixture up until yesterday. However, bearing in mind Peterborough have outstanding league fixtures they might ordered to fulfill the date.

Just noticed a fellow Witham dweller (not something we normally admit to)

Edited by Rayleigh

For the restaging of the Glasgow meeting on Sept 14th , can anyone recommend a hotel not too far from the track please