British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

Lakeside v Newcastle 24/8/18

As people began to leave the stadium I'm pretty sure they made an announcement that they are hoping to race against Peterborough next Friday but that it was still to be confirmed and there doesn't seem to be any mention of it yet on the Lakeside website or Twitter.

This was all before another promoter pipped up, Im talking about much earlier in the season, and in fact the same thing has been happening for several years now, its not something new, lessons should have been learnt a long time ago.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Should have pulled the plug earlier. Apparently the 'senior' riders had no intention of riding. I stayed outside waiting for the inevitable, ive seen it all before. Plenty of people demanding their money back afterwards.

I think the rumour about the senior riders came because they weren't fitting new tyres. That wasn't because they were refusing to race though, I think they were told not to fit them till the meeting was confirmed to go ahead. They were actually fitting them when the final heavy shower pushed the meeting off. 

• Like 1

I said a few weeks ago (continuing decline of speedway thread) that this was going to start happening, most of the tracks are so bare to the bone that just a little bit of rain at the wrong time (race time) will make them pretty much no go, and tonight classic example of that although given the nature of the rain that was falling around the region, I am not sure if even a deep track would have been recoverable by scraping the extra shale off but certainly a slick track, no chance at all.

As already mentioned I was working this afternoon/evening so I couldn't have gone anyway, but having seen the radar at 6pm I can tell you now, I would not have ventured out had I been at home and not working, there was simply NO WAY this meeting was either going to be A. on, or B. go the distance.

11 minutes ago, Daytripper said:

I think the rumour about the senior riders came because they weren't fitting new tyres. That wasn't because they were refusing to race though, I think they were told not to fit them till the meeting was confirmed to go ahead. They were actually fitting them when the final heavy shower pushed the meeting off. 

Fair enough.

Lakeside's PROMOTION - basically, hang your heads in utter shame.

When Gerald Richter was track curator, Lakeside used to pay for a pretty accurate satellite weather forecast (that gave 15 minute forecast updates). Now, whether the current promotion pays for this service (unlikely), who knows. Suffice to say, sitting here in the Midlands and (from experience) a very accurate BBC forecast, heavy downpours were due from 8pm (the last time I checked, whilst sitting at my Mother-in-Laws was at 4pm). Or, in other words, I'm over 100 Miles away and could have called this one.

Suffice to say Lakeside Speedway are I assume, now in debt through hire of the stadium PLUS 14 riders' travelling expenses (minimum)? Is it any wonder that Speedway Clubs' haven't got a pot to p!ss in?

This cancellation appears on the back of weeks of the most glorious weather the UK has seen in years. Seriously?

But no. Jon Cook clearly only wants Friday Meetings.

The guy is an utterly useless PR!CK who has basically delivered mediocrity and utter failure during his tenure at Lakeside. Those who still believe otherwise are basically brainwashed automatons.

Meanwhile, here's a song for the utter tw@t:

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

5 hours ago, The Voice Of Reason said:

When Gerald Richter was track curator, Lakeside used to pay for a pretty accurate satellite weather forecast (that gave 15 minute forecast updates). Now, whether the current promotion pays for this service (unlikely), who knows. Suffice to say, sitting here in the Midlands and (from experience) a very accurate BBC forecast, heavy downpours were due from 8pm (the last time I checked, whilst sitting at my Mother-in-Laws was at 4pm). Or, in other words, I'm over 100 Miles away and could have called this one.

Suffice to say Lakeside Speedway are I assume, now in debt through hire of the stadium PLUS 14 riders' travelling expenses (minimum)? Is it any wonder that Speedway Clubs' haven't got a pot to p!ss in?

This cancellation appears on the back of weeks of the most glorious weather the UK has seen in years. Seriously?

The guy is an utterly useless PR!CK who has basically delivered mediocrity and utter failure during his tenure at Lakeside. Those who still believe otherwise are basically brainwashed automatons.

The lesson here is don’t use the internet when drunk lol.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, marko said:

I said a few weeks ago (continuing decline of speedway thread) that this was going to start happening, most of the tracks are so bare to the bone that just a little bit of rain at the wrong time (race time) will make them pretty much no go, and tonight classic example of that although given the nature of the rain that was falling around the region, I am not sure if even a deep track would have been recoverable by scraping the extra shale off but certainly a slick track, no chance at all.

As already mentioned I was working this afternoon/evening so I couldn't have gone anyway, but having seen the radar at 6pm I can tell you now, I would not have ventured out had I been at home and not working, there was simply NO WAY this meeting was either going to be A. on, or B. go the distance.

Not true of Scunthorpe. They had had showers all day and the last one was about 6pm.

5 hours ago, The Voice Of Reason said:

In my experience Met Office forecasts (and the BBC get theirs from Met Office) are accurate about an hour before hand. Give it a half a day or more, and they are anything but.

Last night at Scunthorpe they definitely got it wrong because in the afternoon they were predicting showers up to 8.00pm.

On only rare occasions are postponements caused by malpractice, incompetence or underhand tactics. The cost of calling off a meeting with the riders at the track is huge so it will only be done early if there is a strong chance of racing not going ahead or at the time if conditions make the track unfit for speedway. 

7 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Not true of Scunthorpe. They had had showers all day and the last one was about 6pm.

In my experience Met Office forecasts (and the BBC get theirs from Met Office) are accurate about an hour before hand. Give it a half a day or more, and they are anything but.

Last night at Scunthorpe they definitely got it wrong because in the afternoon they were predicting showers up to 8.00pm.

On only rare occasions are postponements caused by malpractice, incompetence or underhand tactics. The cost of calling off a meeting with the riders at the track is huge so it will only be done early if there is a strong chance of racing not going ahead or at the time if conditions make the track unfit for speedway. 

Be careful you don’t want to end up being called a brainwashed automaton mate lol.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, liam said:

I think the most shocking thing about tonight was when Jon Cook said the juniors were sent out to test the track and once they was ok the ref said the main meeting was ok to run!!! To me that is very very wrong.

To open the turnstiles when the meeting is in doubt, is bad enough. To then send the kids out to test the track, while the senior riders stay in the pits is a disgrace. To try and get the last two home meetings on, despite dreadful forecasts, has done more damage to the club, who seem determined not to race on off nights.

4 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

To open the turnstiles when the meeting is in doubt, is bad enough. To then send the kids out to test the track, while the senior riders stay in the pits is a disgrace. To try and get the last two home meetings on, despite dreadful forecasts, has done more damage to the club, who seem determined not to race on off nights.

I personally have no problems with the rain off, we all have eyes and access to weather forecasts so can make our own mind up if we want to go and as halifaxtiger said they are not always right as proved with Scunthorpe last night. I made the decision to go last night by the way. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

That does discount just how much a rain off costs. One quote I got from an NL promoter was £4,000. 

With that in mind, you would have to be insane (or loaded) to keep a meeting on when there was little chance of it taking place.

Scunthorpe was the same last night, albeit that rain (by some forecasters) was due to stop at 5pm. The meeting went ahead, although before hand Rob Godfrey was sweeping the water of the bends.

6 hours ago, The Voice Of Reason said:

Whilst I agree with most of your post the effing about with fixtures and the cut off approaching causes all reasonable judgement to be chucked out of the window.

At this stage of the season only the clubs with no mathematical chance of the play offs can accommodate a rain off and some may welcome it, Sheffield are in an unprecedented position of an early bath in August which just highlights the fundamental mismanagement of the sport.  It's both humiliating and shameful regardless, of whether Promoters are in the inner sanctum or mere members of the BSPA.

The current and previous seasons are the most organised fukc ups I've seen in sixty years of supporting the sport.

10 minutes ago, Whisperer said:

Whilst I agree with most of your post the effing about with fixtures and the cut off approaching causes all reasonable judgement to be chucked out of the window.

I think that made matters worse rather than being the sole cause.