British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BWitcher

Plan to save the Sport

12 hours ago, BWitcher said:

This thread is for sensible ideas to move the sport forward, not insanity.

Strange that the most important subject has few sensible ideas how to deal with it. Just like saving the planet!

This thread provides ammunition that even fans who defend the sport know deep down it is really deeply flawed. We love speedway, but remember the new people we are trying to tempt don't have the same desire and must be won over by a credible offering. It is no use tempting them to attend and then keep them waiting in puzzlement while the occasion and its planners get the stage right as men with rakes and fast tractors scramble about. Endless hold-ups between races is a smack in the face for someone who moans when there's a little queue at the checkout. At the moment, speedway is not fully dressed to face these potential new fans. This topic shows long-standing supporters know this.

Edited by moxey63

2 hours ago, spinkox said:

Strange that the most important subject has few sensible ideas how to deal with it. Just like saving the planet!

Aha but a number of other threads contain almost endless positive ideas that could be / should be being discussed by those who plan the future of the sport in the UK. As far as we know they have not read them, considered them and certainly not responded to them. I and many others have offered feedback to promoters who don't even bother to say "Ta".

This thread is brainstorming the most out of the blue ideas that might even ( who knows ) contain the germ of a transformative idea. Hurray that among the Pythonesque of concepts something might linger that will be what UK speedway looks like in five years time. IF it exists at all, other than as a semi-pro league sport. Let the seeming ( and entertaining to some at least) madness continue so that Rollerball on bikes is the new motorcycle sport that emerges in the UK that can pull in fans in their thousands as opposed to their hundreds.

• Like 1

Loving this thread however the BSPA just need to invite the Polish authorities to to run the sport...... THE Zielona Gora v Tarnow match was superb the atmosphere came over so well on tv 

Superb racing and very crisply presented ( as all speedway matches everywhere should be ). Some of the best racing I have ever seen. Riders truly "wanted " it ( at a £1,000 a point why not! ). If only the BSPA had not lost the plot re How To, all would have been similar. No chance now! More exciting if each team in the UK had a Mr Blobby to run out and wave wildly at riders to put them off. Anything is better than tapes to flag wins time after time. That is at the heart of the problem. Nothing to get excited about,

10 hours ago, Spl77 said:

Loving this thread however the BSPA just need to invite the Polish authorities to to run the sport...... THE Zielona Gora v Tarnow match was superb the atmosphere came over so well on tv 

You are so right!

I am a Swindon fan and have been following speedway for nearly 50 years since I was a lad.

I have been watching speedway in Poland these past 18 months due to a new lady in my life that lives just outside Wroclaw. I've managed to get to Wroclaw 5 times this year and will be there again this sunday. (Also a couple of meets elsewhere)

For the solution I suggest people go to Poland to see a couple of meets. It is amazing. Atmosphere, fans, full stadium. Professionalism.

Yes, the finances are on a different structure, but that professional running of the sport gets in the sponsors. UK promoters don't ever seem to get it. You need to raise your game then the sponsors and fans will follow, stadium permitting. And thereby is another big issue.

I find it hard to drag myself to Blunsdon if only to avoid the dreadful viewing conditions.

We have a couple of half decent stadia but the rest are abysmal for 2018!

Anyway. Bring on Sunday ...

5 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Superb racing and very crisply presented ( as all speedway matches everywhere should be ). Some of the best racing I have ever seen. Riders truly "wanted " it ( at a £1,000 a point why not! ). If only the BSPA had not lost the plot re How To, all would have been similar. No chance now! More exciting if each team in the UK had a Mr Blobby to run out and wave wildly at riders to put them off. Anything is better than tapes to flag wins time after time. That is at the heart of the problem. Nothing to get excited about,

You may be wrong about points money. I think many of the top boys are salaried.  They are professional sportsman after all. Fan support is huge and very noisy and in Poland any lack of not trying is dealt with swiftly by crowd and fan response! :) :)

Its reputed that Tai is on around £400,000 at Wroclaw. And he races like he is :) Not only that, all his other activities and duties to Sponsors and club are carried out to a high level. And he's usually on one wheel with Magic building up the atmosphere BEFORE the meeting in the warm up...not that the fans need to be wound up! :)

But they have the structure sorted. I have a feeling that top sponsors go a long way to covering riders salaries, or a large part. Betard at Wroclaw are number one sponsors and do so much for speedway in other events too.  See Tai or Magic anywhere and the first logo on show is Betard.

A stroll up to the Olympic Stadium in Wroclaw before the meeting and it feels like you are at a major sporting event. I've never felt that in the UK even the old days of large crowds, probably because stadium have moved on.

My suggestion to all UK fans....go to a few meetings over there. Its cheap and easy to get to, and the cities are great (and cheap) to enjoy before and after. 

If more people went as fans they would soon see just quite what is wrong here in the UK (which by the way annoys and saddens me)  

12 hours ago, Spl77 said:

I think the commentator is superb as well. 

Saw the Zielona Gora v Tarnow match, great stadium / track, good racing, big crowd, great atmosphere which came across on TV, made you wish you were there....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

An idea of Wroclaw and Polish Speedway

Great stadium, clean, modern, professional

So Watch this. Heats 4 and 14 give just a little flavour of the live atmosphere. It really is noisy when the crowd roar riders on! You have to be there to appreciate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZoVkEUZKy8

You will have to click through some of the adverts...  

And people rave about the Belle Vue track ?  If my maths is correct the race average speed here at Wroclaw  is 5 or 6 mph faster again and you have to be prepared to kick off the fence in the middle of the straights as it rides nearly round like a big Peterborough!

Plan some trips guys

And my advice start here if going to Poland. I've been to nearly every track in the UK in the past 50 odd years man and boy and many through the continent. Without exception this is the best I've ever seen. Very, very fast and only for the brave and skilled! :)

Edited by TonyGlos

I don’t see many sports other than football attracting sponsors in Poland.

In the UK it’s a bit different!