British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington v Lakeside 25/08/2018 7:30pm Ch

I certainly would not blame any fan for wanting to stay, fans of any sport want to support their riders, players etc when they are down, I think we all feel that we need to let them know we are here and routing for them, especially when they are unable to get back to their feet.

Hope the boy will not have any lasting damage, the kid has a lot of raw talent but this sport can be very cruel sometimes.

Re: the guest situation - I think this will go down at a Lakeside error, these are the same people who had to change the team on the eve of the season because they didn't make 100% sure of the averages.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, marko said:

I certainly would not blame any fan for wanting to stay, fans of any sport want to support their riders, players etc when they are down, I think we all feel that we need to let them know we are here and routing for them, especially when they are unable to get back to their feet.

Hope the boy will not have any lasting damage, the kid has a lot of raw talent but this sport can be very cruel sometimes.

Re: the guest situation - I think this will go down at a Lakeside error, these are the same people who had to change the team on the eve of the season because they didn't make 100% sure of the averages.

I'm not knocking you're post, your comments are totally understandable.

The decision to clear the stadium was taken for two reasons; we had concerns that access for the emergency services would be restricted, due to congestion, placing spectators at risk and Dan's dignity, there were a lot of distressed people and any plan to move him would have exacerbated that and could only be accomplished once the stadium was clear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marko said:

Re the last part of your post when Workington were asking Lakeside if the meeting could start later could they not have mentioned Worrall could not ride due to the 8 day rule just a thought

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Let me make it clear, Steve. No-one - no-one - went back 'to have a look'. No-one, indeed, looked in the first place, to the massive credit of all at the track. 

If anyone stayed a little longer than they should have or returned at a later point it was solely out of concern for Dan Bewley, nothing else.

You also have people being effected by shock on these type of occasions, and they go into a kind of state where they have trouble in responding,  both to the incident and to instructions being made. Everyone reacts differently and if some are seemingly slow to comply, it's often for that reason.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MANSE said:

Re the last part of your post when Workington were asking Lakeside if the meeting could start later could they not have mentioned Worrall could not ride due to the 8 day rule just a thought

As Dave Hoggart has pointed out , we had our own problems all day with flights being cancelled, Tony Jackson will probably not have known they had a guest , and it wasn’t his responsibility to start looking anyway , it was Lakesides mistake for getting Worrall , surely Worrall himself should have known he wasn’t eligible to ride..not Workingtons fault ..getting boring now Lakeside made the mistake , the meeting was abandoned so no gain for any team ....just a thought :rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Notice Kyle Newman is unable to ride at Newcastle tonight following last nights crash so best wishes to him too

• Like 5

Just heard about Dan's dreadful accident. I'm sure I speak for all Redcar Bears fans in wishing him a speedy, and complete recovery. 

He is a brilliant rider, and is so good to watch his all action style, the sooner we see you on the track the better.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Taylorj said:

As Dave Hoggart has pointed out , we had our own problems all day with flights being cancelled, Tony Jackson will probably not have known they had a guest , and it wasn’t his responsibility to start looking anyway , it was Lakesides mistake for getting Worrall , surely Worrall himself should have known he wasn’t eligible to ride..not Workingtons fault ..getting boring now Lakeside made the mistake , the meeting was abandoned so no gain for any team ....just a thought :rolleyes:

yep . dumbo should have known he was not  eligible to ride (worrall). looks like he only seen the colour of the money !

• Like 2

18 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Dont normally disagree with u halifax but have to on this one it was not up to jacko or anyone from workington to let lakeside know about worrell any sporting team is going to use an advantage to beat the other team comets are utterly blameless , in this day and age do to others what they would do to u but do it first !

Hoggy has highlighted the exceptional circumstances prevailing at Workington so I'll accept there is no subterfuge here. 

You seem to be saying that even if there was, its OK. Its not (and yes, I am naïve).

One of speedways biggest problems is the vicious self interest that prevails as teams seem to constantly trying to seek and advantage over rivals, to the latter's detriment. Its also one of the reasons why the sport is on its knees as fans get sick and tired of the culture of cheating, one upmanship and manipulation.

I would have thought that any Comets fan would be totally  against that, given just how much Workington have suffered at the hands of a BSPA decision made almost certainly at the behest of Scunthorpe Speedway and to suit their needs.

I would accept that the difference between the two is huge, but both are an attempt to better the chance of your own success at the expense of others.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes there is self interest but if a club won’t do it’s due diligence when attempting to book a guest you can’t blame everyone else.

• Like 3

What people need to realise is this isnt Sunday league football, this is tier 2 of a professional sport, well its suppose to be.

Even if Workington did know , they would of played the rules and used it to their advantage. 

As said, Lakeside and the riders cock up no question. Lakeside should of checked the rules before booking him and Worrall himself should of known he rode there less than 8 days previous. I doubt he would care though, I would imagine as a guest he had all expense paid plus a minimum wage at least for turning up.

Its just a massive balls up which has sadly been overlooked to some extent because of Bewleys injury. 

Its no wonder this sport is in such a mess and why fans are turning away in hundreds, everywhere. Paying top dollar to see a side show up with no number one due to the away managements total retardedness.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Hoggy has highlighted the exceptional circumstances prevailing at Workington so I'll accept there is no subterfuge here. 

You seem to be saying that even if there was, its OK. Its not (and yes, I am naïve).

One of speedways biggest problems is the vicious self interest that prevails as teams seem to constantly trying to seek and advantage over rivals, to the latter's detriment. Its also one of the reasons why the sport is on its knees as fans get sick and tired of the culture of cheating, one upmanship and manipulation.

I would have thought that any Comets fan would be totally  against that, given just how much Workington have suffered at the hands of a BSPA decision made almost certainly at the behest of Scunthorpe Speedway and to suit their needs.

I would accept that the difference between the two is huge, but both are an attempt to better the chance of your own success at the expense of others.

I think its because we have suffered at the hands of others that i still disagree.with u any advantage should be grasped its the nature of sport these days .

11 hours ago, jenga said:

yep . dumbo should have known he was not  eligible to ride (worrall). looks like he only seen the colour of the money !

When riders take guest bookings, do they take a 'non-returnable deposit' ?,,, if not it might be worth looking in to ;)

6 hours ago, Pinny said:

What people need to realise is this isnt Sunday league football, this is tier 2 of a professional sport, well its suppose to be.

Nope, its Sunday league football that in reality is a seasonal one day a week semi professional sport run by fans with a little bit of wealth who can run things but not improve them. A select few can also manipulate the rules to suit, are accountable to no one and operate in, it seems in secrecy.