British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Leicester Lions V Kings Lynn Stars TV Meeting 27:08:2018

NKI riding for KL on Weds according to the KL twitter account.

King's Lynn Speedway‏ @KLSpeedway 1h1 hour ago

More

Copy link to Tweet

Embed Tweet

Mute @KLSpeedway

Unmute @KLSpeedway

Block @KLSpeedway

Unblock @KLSpeedway

Report Tweet

Add to other Moment

Add to new Moment

UPDATE | To clear up any confusion we can confirm Niels will be riding for us on Wednesday. See you then!

Edited by lisa-colette

Well done to the Stars on a fine win.  Indeed it was terrible watching such a processional exercise.  Gate and go  at its best.....    As Stars supporters, we have to be pleased  with the form our team is showing at the business end of the season...

Was I the only one who heard Dale say '  now we have arranged a fixture with Somerset we will be riding  3days on the trot next week.'      If so that makes it   Wolves(A)  on Mon;   Somerset (A)  Tues; and  Leicester (H) on Wednesday,   leaving 'just Leicester (H) to do on the 10th.     It appears we are going to get all the fixtures in,  weather permitting..  

6 hours ago, Gemini said:

No Sam didn't design it. Well, he did have input in the first place but then went back home for a wedding (I think) and while he was away David Hemsley went his own way and carried on with the track how he wanted it. Result ~ poor processional racing for years. :(

Who is David Hemsley? Is he the guy who was a cycle speedway champion??? I can can see the shape of a typical cycle speedway track when I look at Leicester speedway. Might be good shape for cycle speedway but not for the motorised speedway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, g13webb said:

Well done to the Stars on a fine win.  Indeed it was terrible watching such a processional exercise.  Gate and go  at its best.....    As Stars supporters, we have to be pleased  with the form our team is showing at the business end of the season...

Was I the only one who heard Dale say '  now we have arranged a fixture with Somerset we will be riding  3days on the trot next week.'      If so that makes it   Wolves(A)  on Mon;   Somerset (A)  Tues; and  Leicester (H) on Wednesday,   leaving 'just Leicester (H) to do on the 10th.     It appears we are going to get all the fixtures in,  weather permitting..  

Or could Leicester on the 5th be a double-header??

5 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Who is David Hemsley? Is he the guy who was a cycle speedway champion??? I can can see the shape of a typical cycle speedway track when I look at Leicester speedway. Might be good shape for cycle speedway but not for the motorised speedway.

Yes that's the one. :D There were others involved originally in Leicester opening but one by one they quit, before getting the boot himself during a  match against Kings Lynn when he stormed up to the referees box because he had accidentally turned the lights off. Can't remember the year but must be 3 or 4 seasons ago? 

I am wondering regarding the shape of the track if it would be worthwhile actually asking the current team what needs to be done to make it a better racing track as riders must surely have a better idea. Perhaps then there could be one last ditch attempt during the Winter to make alterations to improve it so it doesn't have this awful reputation for processional racing and lose more fans. 

Edited by Gemini

When I go on google maps (doesn't have to be google maps) and look down on Leicester speedway track, and look down on Leicester Cycle Speedway at Slater Street, they look the same shape, although one is only 75 yards per lap. Many years ago (1965) I raced on the Slater Street cycle speedway track, and it was absolutely fine for that sport, but the speedway track truly is a poor race track. Going back to David Hemsley, if he has been 3 times World cycle speedway champion and 5 time British champion, then he must really have been a brilliant rider.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

When I go on google maps (doesn't have to be google maps) and look down on Leicester speedway track, and look down on Leicester Cycle Speedway at Slater Street, they look the same shape, although one is only 75 yards per lap. Many years ago (1965) I raced on the Slater Street cycle speedway track, and it was absolutely fine for that sport, but the speedway track truly is a poor race track. Going back to David Hemsley, if he has been 3 times World cycle speedway champion and 5 time British champion, then he must really have been a brilliant rider.

He was and still is. Still races at a very high level.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Think Google maps is a track version or 2 out still..... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shale Searcher said:

Think Google maps is a track version or 2 out still..... 

Yep you are correct. Original Bends One and Two

Just back from a weekend in Poland for the sgp and torun league meeting. Very professional presentation especially torun. 7pm start 9pm finish excellent racing great crowd interaction why do we get it so wrong answer to some degree is massive sponsorship everywhere bringing money into the sport. Just watched the meeting from Monday night awful as many state. Truth is unless they pull the temp stands back towards the stadium walls move the straights out making the bends wider nothing will change. It's ok for the odd rider to ride the track well but you need the majority to. What also surprised me in Poland was the amount of banking to bends. If anyone ever is fortunate enough to get the opportunity to go to Poland you will not be disappointed. Such great people very friendly.

Great result for the Stars,but a poor advert for speedway.

Track looked very tricky early doors and the only overtakes were really through mistakes.Why is it at Leicester once a rider assumes 1st position he just seems to go unchallenged and pulls away throughout the race.Even though Lynn have a decent record there,after the rain off fiasco of a few years ago i haven't been back.And after watching last night it may take a few more years.

10 hours ago, stevebrum said:

He was and still is. Still races at a very high level.

Ah but will he still be riding at 80 like Glasgow Cyclones' legend Chic Mackie?   :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Ah but will he still be riding at 80 like Glasgow Cyclones' legend Chic Mackie?   :D

My all time favourite CS rider:wink:

Proper legend. Dave is a class act on a bike. I had the privilege of outgating Dave last year only once so I’m more than happy with that!

8 hours ago, Cross Roads said:

Just back from a weekend in Poland for the sgp and torun league meeting. Very professional presentation especially torun. 7pm start 9pm finish excellent racing great crowd interaction why do we get it so wrong answer to some degree is massive sponsorship everywhere bringing money into the sport. Just watched the meeting from Monday night awful as many state. Truth is unless they pull the temp stands back towards the stadium walls move the straights out making the bends wider nothing will change. It's ok for the odd rider to ride the track well but you need the majority to. What also surprised me in Poland was the amount of banking to bends. If anyone ever is fortunate enough to get the opportunity to go to Poland you will not be disappointed. Such great people very friendly.

Great crowd interaction, do you mean the crowd are up for supporting their team or what?