British Speedway Forum
cinderfella

Meaningful Second Halves anyone?

Got thinking back to the days of old 13 heat league matches followed by 5 or 6 further races in the 2nd half culminating in the Rider Of The Night Final.
Why don't they bring back a National Rider Of The Night Final but with points awarded throughout the season with the rider with the most aggregate points at the end of the season winning something like a new machine, van etc.
A scoring system awarding success at an away track (such as an extra point for reaching the final) could be introduced to make things interesting perhaps.
Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Be careful what you wish for. Some BSPA "bright spark" might think " hang on that's a good idea, let's make all matches over 10 heats ( to the interval ) and have five more 2nd half heats for a bonus point". No extra cost!

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

could be used as qualifying points for a big meeting in September

actually i don't know why i posted this - i hated 2nd halves haha and the crowd started to drift out. Prefer 14/15 heats plus 3 junior races

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Got thinking back to the days of old 13 heat league matches followed by 5 or 6 further races in the 2nd half culminating in the Rider Of The Night Final.
Why don't they bring back a National Rider Of The Night Final but with points awarded throughout the season with the rider with the most aggregate points at the end of the season winning something like a new machine, van etc.
A scoring system awarding success at an away track (such as an extra point for reaching the final) could be introduced to make things interesting perhaps.
Any thoughts?

Personally I feel that a meeting should consist of 20 heats whether that be of an extended match varirty or a junior match following the main event or such as something you suggest are all possible variations.

Of course there are financial implications and/or rider commitments and/or fans enthusiasm to be considered.but personally I feel that 20 heats would offer better value for money.

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Personally I feel that a meeting should consist of 20 heats whether that be of an extended match varirty or a junior match following the main event or such as something you suggest are all possible variations.

Of course there are financial implications and/or rider commitments and/or fans enthusiasm to be considered.but personally I feel that 20 heats would offer better value for money.

The danger with 20 matches is if a team is running away with the match it becomes very boring. I am in favour of the old "40-38" formula with interval after heat 13 followed by a second half.

22 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Any thoughts?

The good thing about the old system is that it allowed the reserves extra rides including the up and coming riders who got valuable experience against established riders. At Middlesbrough several riders came through the ranks like this. At Redcar  none of the current second  junior's have appeared in the team despite on the odd occasion being listed at no 8.

• Like 2

I would like to see every team run a junior team and have fixtures every week. Every team should enter into the NJL, MDL or SJL, even if it means adopting teams like Reading, Weymouth etc. This gives younger riders much more track time and lets them develop quicker. Would probably encourage more youngsters into the sport if they knew they were guaranteed more track time as well and would be a natural stepping stone into the National League. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Thornaby48 said:

The good thing about the old system is that it allowed the reserves extra rides including the up and coming riders who got valuable experience against established riders. At Middlesbrough several riders came through the ranks like this. At Redcar  none of the current second  junior's have appeared in the team despite on the odd occasion being listed at no 8.

Second Halves served a useful purpose:
- Winner (of 4) in the Novice Race got to ride (against programmed 3) in the Juniors' Race;
- winner of the Jnrs got to ride against 3 team reserves in the Reserves Race,
- and that winner got a ride against the #1s to #5s (plus home #6) in one of the 3 heats.
Hence a new name could even get to the Scratch Final,  - for example if a regular grass-tracker decided to try out speedway.
So a rider got an opportunity to prove himself and claim a team place on current form, (and not on historical statistics. )
There's no facility for that today.
www.speedwaychampions.com
www.speedway-sa.com

• Like 2

From a personal point of view, I've never liked 2nd halves. I used to watch them as a kid at Wembley and Wimbledon, but I found them boring. I'd like speedway to be like football, done and dusted in 90 minutes.

4 hours ago, britmet said:

Second Halves served a useful purpose:
- Winner (of 4) in the Novice Race got to ride (against programmed 3) in the Juniors' Race;
- winner of the Jnrs got to ride against 3 team reserves in the Reserves Race,
- and that winner got a ride against the #1s to #5s (plus home #6) in one of the 3 heats.
Hence a new name could even get to the Scratch Final,  - for example if a regular grass-tracker decided to try out speedway.
So a rider got an opportunity to prove himself and claim a team place on current form, (and not on historical statistics. )
There's no facility for that today.
www.speedwaychampions.com
www.speedway-sa.com

...that's how the likes of Julian and Simon Wigg, Ken Matthews etc got their opportunities as did countless others I would hazzard to guess? Certainly was the case at Cowley.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...that's how the likes of Julian and Simon Wigg, Ken Matthews etc got their opportunities as did countless others I would hazzard to guess? Certainly was the case at Cowley.

Holloway,Young Hewlett, ,Rossiter,Smart x3 ) Satchell a few examples Steve at Swindon.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Holloway,Young Hewlett, ,Rossiter,Smart x3 ) Satchell a few examples Steve at Swindon.

...and, of course, Malcolm Holloway. Kevin Young and Kevin Smart all graduated to Oxford's NL team (as well as the Chessell Brothers!)

Used to enjoy watching 'The Sprockets'. Throw in Steve Bishop and Terry Broadbank as well.