British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Jumping the start

Dudek was wrongly penalised by the ref for a perfect start in the final     Why not have a 2nd ref who watch the start replay iimediately and if necessary stop the race.   It would mean the riders go a lap but we would get the correct decision. 

Get rid of the tapes , green light start like other forms of motor sport 

29 minutes ago, Mark said:

Costly maybe but it would work

Charge all the hangers on in the pits full admission and it would be paid for:D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mark said:

Costly maybe but it would work

these guys are millionaires!

It seems to me that to much onus is on the referee.

Could there not be a line judge a la tennis or linesman at football who could be knelt on the centre green looking along the start line? He could have a button that disabled the tapes from being released and puts the red light on if he sees movement and report the offender to the referee. If the referee has released the tapes before his button is pressed then it's a fair start.

Bring back the two extra guys standing in between the riders at the start to watch for movement 

17 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Could there not be a line judge a la tennis or linesman at football who could be knelt on the centre green looking along the start line? He could have a button that disabled the tapes from being released and puts the red light on if he sees movement and report the offender to the referee. If the referee has released the tapes before his button is pressed then it's a fair start.

Think that's a bit over the top me thinks

17 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Human eye gets it wrong in tennis & football, players appeal line calls and we have VAR in football.   A quick re-run on TV for a 2nd referee would show if there is movement.   Decision could be made probably before a lap is completed.  

On 8/25/2018 at 8:46 PM, Mark said:

Dudek was wrongly penalised by the ref for a perfect start in the final     Why not have a 2nd ref who watch the start replay iimediately and if necessary stop the race.   It would mean the riders go a lap but we would get the correct decision. 

By the time ref No2 has done his checks the race will be half over, in other motor sports when a driver/rider has jumped the start they get a time penalty, obviously that can`t happen in speedway. Maybe we could let the race go then exclude the rider after the race though I quite like the starting rule in SGP at present, though some riders seem to learn their lessons and get warned every GP.

13 minutes ago, screm said:

By the time ref No2 has done his checks the race will be half over, in other motor sports when a driver/rider has jumped the start they get a time penalty, obviously that can`t happen in speedway. Maybe we could let the race go then exclude the rider after the race though I quite like the starting rule in SGP at present, though some riders seem to learn their lessons and get warned every GP.

but its not quiet right, Dudek last Saturday, Cookie the time before (and he needs all the help he can get).  We are in the 21st century, the age of computers and electronics...…. is even the GP series so far behind the times and cant/wont progress forward?

Just let the riders move or do what they want.  if they touch the tapes, they're out.  It's that simple to me.  There would hardly be a restart.  Can't see what's wrong with this method.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Shockster said:

Just let the riders move or do what they want.  if they touch the tapes, they're out.  It's that simple to me.  There would hardly be a restart.  Can't see what's wrong with this method.

guess more riders would go through the tapes with some anticipating the start.

Letting riders move as much as they want, except touch the tapes, leaves rider on gate 2 and 3 very vulnerable to riders on 1 and 4 twitching hoping to get rider 2 and 3 moving and touching the tapes. That's a form of cheating.   Riders in MotoGP, British Superbikes etc and Formula 1 etc all start from rest and don't have a tape, transponders.  No good going back to you can do anything you want at the tapes, there was enough of that in the 70's/80's and Ivan was the master at it, but not only him. Would Ivan had won so many world championships if he had to stay still at the start? We don't know, and it doesn't matter, its whats done now. Especially in the world championship where a lot of money is at stake (for being world champ), extra appearance money, sponsors money, etc.  And I want to see a winner who deserved to win.  Technology is there, speedway needs a kick to the 21st century.