British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Jumping the start

7 hours ago, BangerBoy said:

Think that's a bit over the top me thinks

Okay, but how so? Movement is spotted and the tape release disabled. Surely that would prevent the delays associated with letting them go and then calling it back? 

It would seem that the powers-that-be feel that one warning followed by an exclusion for a repeat offence is the right method to 'police' rider's behaviour at the start.

This should be extended to 'policing' the bahaviour of referees.
Two 'mistakes' or 'failures' and he is disqualified.

Might add an extra element of excitement to the GP AND stop them being so hot on stopping races when riders have made good, legal starts.

13 hours ago, Shockster said:

Just let the riders move or do what they want.  if they touch the tapes, they're out.  It's that simple to me.  There would hardly be a restart.  Can't see what's wrong with this method.

Name any other sport with a standing start where the athletes/drivers/Riders are allowed to anticipate the start?
F1? No.
WRC? No.
Swimming? No
Athletics? No
MotoGP? No

A standing start is about standing still and react to a start signal. It is not about chancing / anticipating the start.
Transponders would solve this problem. You do allot of start testing and decide which reaction time should be the limit.
This can the be monitored during the start and it would be easy to see if it is a good start or a chance start.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

Name any other sport with a standing start where the athletes/drivers/Riders are allowed to anticipate the start?
F1? No.
WRC? No.
Swimming? No
Athletics? No
MotoGP? No

A standing start is about standing still and react to a start signal. It is not about chancing / anticipating the start.
Transponders would solve this problem. You do allot of start testing and decide which reaction time should be the limit.
This can the be monitored during the start and it would be easy to see if it is a good start or a chance start.

I agree about transponders, but can it be that easy for all tracks to have this technology?  If it can then let's get rid of the tapes as there is no need for them if we can work off lights.  As you say none of the sports you mention have tapes, so Speedway could resign them to history.

TBH I just get sick of the restarts and letting riders move at the start may in some part equalise the bad gates.  A bad draw in some GPs can spell the end of a riders chance and that can't be right either.

54 minutes ago, Shockster said:

I agree about transponders, but can it be that easy for all tracks to have this technology?  If it can then let's get rid of the tapes as there is no need for them if we can work off lights.  As you say none of the sports you mention have tapes, so Speedway could resign them to history.

TBH I just get sick of the restarts and letting riders move at the start may in some part equalise the bad gates.  A bad draw in some GPs can spell the end of a riders chance and that can't be right either.

We need tapes.    It's what the crowd look at and if a rider goes through them its a spectacle.

Keep the tapes then for the spectacle, but use transponders/beams to detect movement. As previously stated, other sports don't use tapes, they detect movement. Its only cause riders have got used to trying to beat the system and got away with it that it goes on today. Doesn't meant its right though, its not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Keep the tapes then for the spectacle, but use transponders/beams to detect movement. As previously stated, other sports don't use tapes, they detect movement. Its only cause riders have got used to trying to beat the system and got away with it that it goes on today. Doesn't meant its right though, its not.

Other sports don't have advantageous starting positions that have not been earned either?

Cant see what that has to do with it.  There is no rule in speedway, that I know of, that says you can move at the tapes and not receive a penalty. Move and you get a warning, touch the tapes and you excluded.  What is needed is help of some form for the riders that doesn't discriminate against a perfect start (as Dudek did)

32 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Cant see what that has to do with it.  There is no rule in speedway, that I know of, that says you can move at the tapes and not receive a penalty. Move and you get a warning, touch the tapes and you excluded.  What is needed is help of some form for the riders that doesn't discriminate against a perfect start (as Dudek did)

My point is there would be no races called back, unless the tapes were touched. Just watched heat 10 from Sweden which was stopped wrongly for no reason. Meeting delayed and different outcome off the first turn 2nd time around. 

Has anyone ever heard of a sport with two different starters or in this case a tape which is the start but wait it might not be the start. What an embarrassment for the sport to have Dudek's start brought back. 

My proposal. Have a set light about five? Seconds before the green and everyone is ready and SET WITH NO MOVEMENT except looking right or left as they do. The next movement will be the riders dropping the clutch for THEIR start. If they don't hit the tape and they are ten feet ahead they just made s hellofagood start. Of course if they hit the tape they are gone. As for these rolling starts that don't always get called that would fall under movement after you are set and your points are taken away after the race with no stoppage UNLESS you draw someone else into the tape. 

The key is no movement after the set light comes on and keep the referee out of it except to police movement. If a person moves before he drops the clutch another rider who is drawn off and breaks the tape should not be penalized. 

In real time it's hard to impossible for a person to judge the millisecond between a rider starting and the tape going up. 

5 minutes ago, New Yorker said:

Has anyone ever heard of a sport with two different starters or in this case a tape which is the start but wait it might not be the start. What an embarrassment for the sport to have Dudek's start brought back. 

My proposal. Have a set light about five? Seconds before the green and everyone is ready and SET WITH NO MOVEMENT except looking right or left as they do. The next movement will be the riders dropping the clutch for THEIR start. If they don't hit the tape and they are ten feet ahead they just made s hellofagood start. Of course if they hit the tape they are gone. As for these rolling starts that don't always get called that would fall under movement after you are set and your points are taken away after the race with no stoppage UNLESS you draw someone else into the tape. 

The key is no movement after the set light comes on and keep the referee out of it except to police movement. If a person moves before he drops the clutch another rider who is drawn off and breaks the tape should not be penalized. 

In real time it's hard to impossible for a person to judge the millisecond between a rider starting and the tape going up. 

this is more complicated than what is used now.   

Well apart from deduction points after the race it sounds pretty much like what happens now. There can be a problem having a rider in a race knowing that he is effectively excluded at the end. He could hold up riders to get his team mate in front, cause stoppages by deliberately falling, again team mate may get an advantage in a rerun. Probably other scenarios too.

Its got to be something like transponders. Technology is better then the human eye, more accurate. Just fit them to international meetings for a season and see how they go at top level.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:54 PM, OveFundinFan said:

You will still get the "twitchers" on gates 1 & 4 move to penalise gates 2 & 3

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

You will still get the "twitchers" on gates 1 & 4 move to penalise gates 2 & 3

I assume a beam will not detect a twitcher, but a transponder should.

On 8/27/2018 at 4:02 PM, Shockster said:

Just let the riders move or do what they want.  if they touch the tapes, they're out.  It's that simple to me.  There would hardly be a restart.  Can't see what's wrong with this method.

Agree totally.......back in the day it was part and parcel of the 'suspense' at the start ! (bluufing/anticipating, other riders etc....)

It also made for some better races, especially when the favourite missed the gate!