British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Mildenhall v Eastbourne Sept 2

Hearing rumours – hope this really is fake news – that Mildenhall have put back the start time for next Sunday's meeting against Eastbourne.

Hope the Fen Tigers head honcho can confirm it is the advertised start time of 3pm and that a football match, of all things, is not influencing the start time, as I have heard.

If it is put back, it totally messes up my Sunday plans as I have work in the evening on Sunday and doubt l could cope with a late start, considering how much traffic there is on the roads at this time of the year.

24 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Hearing rumours – hope this really is fake news – that Mildenhall have put back the start time for next Sunday's meeting against Eastbourne.

Hope the Fen Tigers head honcho can confirm it is the advertised start time of 3pm and that a football match, of all things, is not influencing the start time, as I have heard.

If it is put back, it totally messes up my Sunday plans as I have work in the evening on Sunday and doubt l could cope with a late start, considering how much traffic there is on the roads at this time of the year.

Why not, Eastbourne cancelled their home match against mildenhall, because of a football match!

12 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I'm afraid it has been put back by an hour for that very reason, and like yourself, I know of some people that have been left disappointed, as they can't now make it due to having to be at work.  In my wildest dreams, I can't believe Norwich v Ipswich would have any effect on the speedway attendance.

3 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

I'm afraid it has been put back by an hour for that very reason, and like yourself, I know of some people that have been left disappointed, as they can't now make it due to having to be at work.  In my wildest dreams, I can't believe Norwich v Ipswich would have any effect on the speedway attendance.

Thanks very much for the information. I'm not going to risk going up for it.

19 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

It could be a crossover of key personnel - medics etc?

4 hours ago, Mimmo said:

Have to disagree.I know a fair few who come to Mildenhall who are season ticket holders at both Norwich and Ipswich and will be at the game.With a fair few going to the game who aren't ticket holders.

The extra hour gives people chance to watch the game and watch the speedway.Makes perfect sense to me

Edited by adz_mft

13 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Slightly ironic when you're lot cancelled a meeting because of a game lol

7 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

It could be a crossover of key personnel - medics etc?

Good point Neil.

3 minutes ago, adz_mft said:

Have to disagree.I know a fair few who come to Mildenhall who are season ticket holders at both Norwich and Ipswich and will be at the game.With a fair few going to the game who aren't ticket holders.Not to mention the 1s who will watch at home on tv (me included) 

The extra hour gives people chance to watch the game and watch the speedway.Makes perfect sense to me

I'll bow to your knowledge on that one, but it could still six of one, and half a dozen of another.

Just now, Mimmo said:

I'll bow to your knowledge on that one, but it could still six of one, and half a dozen of another.

Damned if you do damned if you don't I guess.At least the meeting is going to go ahead with the idea of trying to cut people missing the meeting to a minimum.

I'm afraid its a common sense solution because quite a few Norwich City and Ipswich Town football fans go to Mildenhall speedway.

The East Anglian football Derby is a bigger draw than what many with little interest in it would imagine!

Unfortunate for those with no interest in football who also have time schedules but the crowd would definitely be down if the football fans couldn't make it in time!

2 hours ago, adz_mft said:

Slightly ironic when you're lot cancelled a meeting because of a game lol

As I understand it, Mildenhall have put the time back because of a match between two second-rate football teams in what is very much the second division of English football. Eastbourne took their decision based on England playing in the World Cup; trying to secure third place.

In fact, despite what people say on here, there was a lot of interest in the England game.

My own observation of living in a town near to Eastbourne was that the shops were deserted. A place usually packed at 5pm was totally empty, other than me and a boy behind the tills.

However, Eastbourne and Mildenhall's decisions show how fragile the finances are in speedway

Their was little interest in Englands 3rd place play off game while Ipswich Town V Norwich City at Ipswich next Sunday lunchtime will have the best part of 30,000 mainly East Anglians present, quite a few of whom are Mildenhall speedway regulars and I'm sure a few track staff and medics may be at the football as well!

For the sake of an hour it makes sense although I'm sure a few fans maybe messed up by the start time!  

Don't think you'll find that the Ipswich v Norwich match is being televised this year either (or so I'm told) , first time it's not been on in years if that's genuinely the case. 

Really don't like these sort of decisions.

Sure there may be a few football fans that have to miss the meeting. But from reading comments it seems equally likely that some regular fans will miss because of the change of time.