British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scorpions v Sheffield 31.08.2018 7.30pm

1 minute ago, montie said:

On the flip side.. It was an excellent meeting 

Well done to both teams for putting on a great show 

Maybe you can ask your mate Mr G why Sheffield were allowed a facility ?

Exactly so why worry about it ? The sport is is on its knees and the sooner the bspa  realise then they may change it. Speedway is a simple sport 4 riders racing for 4 laps but they just love to complicate. it with complex rules. I'm past caring now what they do ,it's a complete shambles.It is what it is !!!!!!,  So as I see it there's no argument.They are not bothered what the fans think,they are just running speedway into the ground.If you would rather see a nl rider way behind the other 3 then that's up to you but it's not for me .

• Like 1

Just now, Charlieboy said:

Exactly so why worry about it ? The sport is is on its knees and the sooner the bspa  realise then they may change it. Speedway is a simple sport 4 riders racing for 4 laps but they just love to complicate. it with complex rules. I'm past caring now what they do ,it's a complete shambles.It is what it is !!!!!!,  So as I see it there's no argument.They are not bothered what the fans think,they are just running speedway into the ground.If you would rather see a nl rider way behind the other 3 then that's up to you but it's not for me .

But it didn`t have to be a NL rider- Shanes didn`t need to take the bikes he would have ridden tonight to ride in France tomorrow did he ? he doesn`t need to be with his team taking the longtrack bikes to Morizes  does he ? He could have been in a Birmingham airport hotel by 11.30pm and had a decent few hours sleep before catching the 6.55am flight. and by my reckoning would have been at the track at least 2 hours before practice starts.

16 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Sure.. But i don't really care about the wrongs and rights to be honest.. I go to watch 4 loons going at it on an oval track and to be entertained.. And tonight I did that and was treated to some excellent entertainment 

Again.. Well done both sets of riders.. A great night's racing

Edited by montie
  • Like 4

Guest WTF1

Wow!  If Carlsberg made speedway meetings this is how they all would be,  fantastic racing,  the deadly duo Auty and Allen showing that they were sorely missed the previous week with heart stopping performances,  the last heat worth the admission money alone,  For Sheffield their 2 heatleaders underperformed but in Kasper Andersen have a real find,  it was a shame that one team had to lose and also that this meeting wasn't televised instead of some of the premiership dross. 

7 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

But it didn`t have to be a NL rider- Shanes didn`t need to take the bikes he would have ridden tonight to ride in France tomorrow did he ? he doesn`t need to be with his team taking the longtrack bikes to Morizes  does he ? He could have been in a Birmingham airport hotel by 11.30pm and had a decent few hours sleep before catching the 6.55am flight. and by my reckoning would have been at the track at least 2 hours before practice starts.

How do you know what he can or can’t do? He may have something personal arranged you are not privy to. As previously mentioned no one apart from you really cares, and anyone who went tonight enjoyed some terrific racing. Personally I find it’s a case of “if something is bothering you, do something about it. If you can’t do anything about it, don’t let it bother you”. You are not to change the way speedway is run, so just enjoy it for what it is.

Early doors it looked odds on Scunny reserves were gonna cost dearly again...  However, how important was that 3rd place for Gino in heat 14!  The lads got it in him, just needs luck on his side.

Great comeback by The Scorpions.... tonight proved how we much we missed Josh and Jake, they were both awesome match winners tonight.

It was a night of truly great entertaining racing....to be fair, it usually is whenever Sheffield visit. A neutral would of loved that... Sheffield may be a little disappointed to lose at the death... but wow... what a heat 15, speedway doesn't get much better. Hats of to both teams for putting on a great show.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Albert said:

Early doors it looked odds on Scunny reserves were gonna cost dearly again...  However, how important was that 3rd place for Gino in heat 14!  The lads got it in him, just needs luck on his side.

Great comeback by The Scorpions.... tonight proved how we much we missed Josh and Jake, they were both awesome match winners tonight.

It was a night of truly great entertaining racing....to be fair, it usually is whenever Sheffield visit. A neutral would of loved that... Sheffield may be a little disappointed to lose at the death... but wow... what a heat 15, speedway doesn't get much better. Hats of to both teams for putting on a great show.

have to agree.a super night of speedway racing on a v.well prepared track.charles and kyle not at their usual standard but all credit to kyle after that nasty looking crash.todd gave it his all in that final race and only just lost out.full credit to all the lads tonight especially todd,kasper and connor.well done scunthorpe on the comeback.thoroughly enjoyed the meeting after the recent home meetings.credit to our captain also for thanking the sheffield supporters for their support tonight.top man.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Could it be that the Glasgow v Newcastle  fixture was the original date whereas the Scunthorpe v Sheffield fixture was re- arranged as the original fixture was cancelled due to the weather.

5 hours ago, spin king said:

Could it be that the Glasgow v Newcastle  fixture was the original date whereas the Scunthorpe v Sheffield fixture was re- arranged as the original fixture was cancelled due to the weather.

I`m pretty sure i actually know the reason and it`s all about outside influences sticking their unwanted noses into Speedway`s  business and the SCB/BSPA not having the guts to do anything about it.

6 hours ago, spin king said:

It's 'cos it was a Friday, having created plenty of guests somebody has to use them now.

24 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

It's 'cos it was a Friday, having created plenty of guests somebody has to use them now.

The rules are far to complicated for me to understand, but why does someone have to use a guest? At Scunny last night there were none, the same at Edinburgh.

6 hours ago, spin king said:

becarefull SK,you might just be talking to much sense there and prevent folk from talking about what a fantastic meeting we saw last night

11 hours ago, racers and royals said:

on my orginal post i found a flight from Birmingham at 6.55am which got to Bordeaux at 10am which Shanes could have taken  and i think it was £71

No idea at all about the politics, rules or regulations behind Sheffield being granted a facility - and to be honest I couldn’t really care less, I just want to see four riders, good racing and preferably a Sheffield win! But...

It cost me about that to take a suitcase to Croatia and back - I doubt Shanes, his mechanic (dad?), bikes, engines, spares etc will be able to fly for that amount!!! And given flight delays etc, would you risk arriving 2 hours before practice when representing your country? I wouldn’t.

Harris has a team and no doubt has somebody who can drive a van to France for him - which from Sheffield would take best part of around 13 hours non-stop, so add on waiting for the ferry/tunnel, toilet/food stops etc, you’re looking at 16/17 hours travel at least, so too much to do in one day safely - That person or persons can no doubt set up the bikes and so forth when they get there. Shanes doesn’t have those kind of resources at his disposal.

Also, I would guess that Shanes wouldn’t turn down the chance to earn money riding for Sheffield if he could help it - at his stage of career, he will no doubt want and need all the cash he can get his hands on.

Finally, if you look at his schedule he isn’t exactly work shy when it comes to riding his bikes! He seems to cram in as many as he can, so again, would think that he would have preferred to ride if he possibly could have done.

Anyway, perhaps we can all stop putting a dampener on what was an entertaining night. Scunny got 3 points regardless of the Sheffield team make up and so can be happy. Sheffield salvaged some pride after some woeful home performances. Everybody’s a winner

Edited by Cue Ball
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cue Ball said:

No idea at all about the politics, rules or regulations behind Sheffield being granted a facility - and to be honest I couldn’t really care less, I just want to see four riders, good racing and preferably a Sheffield win! But...

It cost me about that to take a suitcase to Croatia and back - I doubt Shanes, his mechanic (dad?), bikes, engines, spares etc will be able to fly for that amount!!! And given flight delays etc, would you risk arriving 2 hours before practice when representing your country? I wouldn’t.

Harris has a team and no doubt has somebody who can drive a van to France for him - which from Sheffield would take best part of around 13 hours non-stop, so add on waiting for the ferry/tunnel, toilet/food stops etc, you’re looking at 16/17 hours travel at least, so too much to do in one day safely - That person or persons can no doubt set up the bikes and so forth when they get there. Shanes doesn’t have those kind of resources at his disposal.

Also, I would guess that Shanes wouldn’t turn down the chance to earn money riding for Sheffield if he could help it - at his stage of career, he will no doubt want and need all the cash he can get his hands on.

Finally, if you look at his schedule he isn’t exactly work shy when it comes to riding his bikes! He seems to cram in as many as he can, so again, would think that he would have preferred to ride if he possibly could have done.

Anyway, perhaps we can all stop putting a dampener on what was an entertaining night. Scunny got 3 points regardless of the Sheffield team make up and so can be happy. Sheffield salvaged some pride after some woeful home performances. Everybody’s a winner

Let`s get this straight- Shanes has never been on the continent grasstracking/longtracking the day after fulfilling a British commitment ? Obviously his kit for Morizes would go by road and he would have flown out by himself this morning. Funnily enough  professional speedway riders are doing that day in day out !!