British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scorpions v Sheffield 31.08.2018 7.30pm

2 hours ago, brylcream boy said:

To allow either Workington or Peterborough to bring the new young riders in, did they not have to let other riders go. A serious question, as I do not follow either team.

Panthers brought Tom Bacon in at the start of 2017 as a 2 point British rider  and his starting average for 2018 was 2.60 , he has now advanced to over 4.50  Tom is now repaying the faith shown in him.

2 hours ago, Albert said:

Considering all Scunnys injury problems this year.. Danny is the only change that we've made... We could of made plenty more but Rob has stood loyal to his injured riders. Good on Lakeside, they're the only team not to make a change this year... whilst the others are...Sheffield (6),  Edinburgh, Ipswich (5), Redcar (4), Glasgow (3), Peterborough (2), Berwick, Newcastle and Workington (1)

The 2  Panthers team changes are both down to rider injuries  (Lunna  and Grondal )   It should be noted that Perks was only temp replacement while Grondal recovered from his injuries unlike Scunthorpe who sat back and kept faith with those injured riders and are now at the lower end of the league. Message here is stand still and you will get trodden on. Oh by the way who have Workington replaced ?

5 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

The 2  Panthers team changes are both down to rider injuries  (Lunna  and Grondal )   It should be noted that Perks was only temp replacement while Grondal recovered from his injuries unlike Scunthorpe who sat back and kept faith with those injured riders and are now at the lower end of the league. Message here is stand still and you will get trodden on. Oh by the way who have Workington replaced ?

I agree.. In our case, it wasn't so much the injuries that stalled us... under performing reserves caused the damage, perhaps if those reserve riders had been replaced a few months back,  we may have reached the play offs.

6 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

According to the bspa list... Workington replaced BWD at some point.

21 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Makes what the Workington Promotion have done in standing by Kyle Bickley all the more laudable and hopefully Kyle will start getting amongst the points coming towards the business end of the season. His efforts at Ipswich made a big difference and were greatly appreciated and it is noticeable that he is starting to get on the pace at Dewent Park as well. 

Regards
THJ

to be fair Bickley seems to be showing signs of improvement now which is good,where as Danny was going backwards recently

Edited by montie

6 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

Panthers brought Tom Bacon in at the start of 2017 as a 2 point British rider  and his starting average for 2018 was 2.60 , he has now advanced to over 4.50  Tom is now repaying the faith shown in him.

Tom Bacon`s performance earlier in the season at Scunny was one of the best performances ive seen by a visiting rider  this season,the lad was excellent

Edited by montie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, brylcream boy said:

To allow either Workington or Peterborough to bring the new young riders in, did they not have to let other riders go. A serious question, as I do not follow either team.

10 hours ago, Albert said:

Considering all Scunnys injury problems this year.. Danny is the only change that we've made... We could of made plenty more but Rob has stood loyal to his injured riders. Good on Lakeside, they're the only team not to make a change this year... whilst the others are...Sheffield (6),  Edinburgh, Ipswich (5), Redcar (4), Glasgow (3), Peterborough (2), Berwick, Newcastle and Workington (1)

1 hour ago, Albert said:

According to the bspa list... Workington replaced BWD at some point.

Honestly

Tom Bacon and Kyle Bickley have been with their respective teams since the start of the season

To be fair the changes made by Newcastle and Workington were forced upon them rather than either promotion dropping riders, Lewis Rose decided he needed some time out from the sport and went into "semi retirement" for want of a better phrase or description and Mason Campton was replaced by Bradley Wilson-Dean under a facility to temporarily replace Campton who had been injured and once fit; came back into the team. I also agree that Rob Godfrey (RG) can be fiercely loyal to his riders.

Furthermore it must be said that the promotions of all three clubs mentioned Newcastle Workington and Scunthorpe do have a good reputation for supporting their riders through thick and thin; and possibly retaining them for longer than is beneficial to all parties when they invariably go through a rough patch for whatever reason; where some other promoters have been known to be a lot less patient and a bit more ruthless.

I also accept and agree with the point RG made when he stated it was doing no one any good having Danny struggling in the team, the fans, the club in general, Danny's team mates and most of all the lad himself. IMHO this is probably the best for all concerned and good luck to Danny as its the knock backs in life that make you stronger and knowing Danny he is very pragmatic and will take this in his stride and keep plugging away in an effort to improve.

Regardd
THJ 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

Bacon would not have been there if you could not have got Nicholls. It's a numbers game.

I have been reading the Scunthorpe Telegrah where Danny Phillips is complaining badly about being sacked after the Sheffield match, in my opinion he is really not looking at reallity:- 

He is unhappy that it is after transfer deadline day and does not have chance of any other team coming in for him.

(who does he think have him lined up after this season ).

Then he states that he was looking forward to helping the team win some silver ware.

(how can he have done that when he just scores four or five zero's every match, and is never going to  gain a second or a winning position against anyone when he just trundles round usually 50 yards behind anyone, he is living in a dream.

Summary :-  

his average is about 1.2 and getting worse, most of these few points have been from 3rd positions or in three rider races.

I would think that a few supporters have said enough is enough, I had not missed a meeting for 7 years,  but said before the Sheffied match if he is in the team I will not be there.

Has anyone ever seen him gate and make the first bend in a leading bunch, he is normally 5 yards adrift, I am sorry but he has lost it and needs to think of retiring.

He has had countless bike problems and if they do ever complete the four laps, they are far more slower than all others, may be bike or rider ????

Matt is not one of these  young up and coming new riders just starting out, he is about 26 and has raced for over six years, even for Scunthorpe, so he is now going backwards.

I do not like making some of the above comments, but after seeing him moaning and telling the press that he hasn been badley treated, I feel someone has to.

Rob has stuck with him from April till September and never complained how really bad he is, Phillips has left many meetings with a full set of zeros to his name.

The guy should really think very hard on how he can brake even Racing in British Speedway, he is not even a good NL rider and thats after six or seven years.

Anyway,  I wish Matt the best of luck in the future, but not to pin any hopes of any Championship Teams knocking on his door with a contract.

57 minutes ago, Scorpison said:

I have been reading the Scunthorpe Telegrah where Danny Phillips is complaining badly about being sacked after the Sheffield match, in my opinion he is really not looking at reallity:- 

He is unhappy that it is after transfer deadline day and does not have chance of any other team coming in for him.

Then he states that he was looking forward to helping the team win some silver ware.

(how can he have done that when he just scores four or five zero's every match, and is never going to  gain a second or a winning position against anyone when he just trundles round usually 50 yards behind anyone, he is living in a dream.

his average is about 1.2 and getting worse, most of these few points have been from 3rd positions or in three rider races.

I would think that a few supporters have said enough is enough, I had not missed a meeting for 7 years,  but said before the Sheffied match if he is in the team I will not be there.

Has anyone ever seen him gate and make the first bend in a leading bunch, he is normally 5 yards adrift, I am sorry but he has lost it and needs to think of retiring.

He has had countless bike problems and if they do ever complete the four laps, they are far more slower than all others, may be bike or rider ????

Matt is not one of these  young up and coming new riders just starting out, he is about 26 and has raced for over six years, even for Scunthorpe, so he is now going backwards.

I do not like making some of the above comments, but after seeing him moaning and telling the press that he hasn been badley treated, I feel someone has to.

Rob has stuck with him from April till September and never complained how really bad he is, Phillips has left many meetings with a full set of zeros to his name.

The guy should really think very hard on how he can brake even Racing in British Speedway, he is not even a good NL rider and thats after six or seven years.

Anyway,  I wish Matt the best of luck in the future, but not to pin any hopes of any Championship Teams knocking on his door with a contract.

Who is Matt?

29 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Who is Matt?

Is he called that because everyone walks all over him?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scorpison said:

All well and good, but the question is why has it took Mr Godfrey to realise that after the transfer cut off date?

A rider should be safe in the knowledge that was the cut off date has passed that their place in the team should be safe, unless the rider leaves with mutual consent of both rider and club.

And with the action been taken at Scunthorpe you have to question wht is the point in having a cut off date for transfers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spin king said:

All well and good, but the question is why has it took Mr Godfrey to realise that after the transfer cut off date?

A rider should be safe in the knowledge that was the cut off date has passed that their place in the team should be safe, unless the rider leaves with mutual consent of both rider and club.

And with the action been taken at Scunthorpe you have to question wht is the point in having a cut off date for transfers. 

Spin king in all  honesty Danny is complaining about been finished after deadline day but which championship side  would want a 2point rider averaging just over 1 pt a meeting none,

ive watched him all season and could forgive him early season after coming back from serious injuries last year . Early season he wasn’t getting beat by far but recently he’s been well back and on my way home from meetings talking to my dad I said how can Danny get any confidence or money from what he’s doing on the track.

Most of his one point finishes have been from falls or engine failures from a rider in the heat , he isn’t a young gun who you could think he will be back next year let him have a look at all the tracks for future reference 

In all walks of life if you under perform you will be laid if , I certainly would in my job on the building sites and not hitting the targets set by my employers 

As I’ve stated before upmost respect who rides a bike for my enjoyment of a dying sport

• Like 1

Guest WTF1
2 hours ago, Scorpison said:

Phillips should have gone ages ago and Manzares is not much better,  even Josh Bailey last year could win the reserves race.

13 hours ago, spin king said:

I would say Fridays performance has alot to do with it,the lad was way off the pace and the crowd were getting on his back which is quite unpleasant to see and hear

Scunny fans are normally quite a calm lot but what i heard on Friday was not good,im pleased hes out of the firing line to be honest

• Like 2