British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cinderfella

is doubling up leading to fatigue and injuries?

Apologies if this topic has been covered before but looking at the number of injuries that are occuring at this end of the season I can't but wonder how much of it is due to rider (and machinery) fatigue as a result of doubling up and the sheer volume of travel involved especially with overseas commitments?
Is it time that safety was made a priority and some sort of measures introduced in the hope of preventing injuries?

7 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

I think you will find that most riders are saying they are not racing enough meetings

Yeah I'm sure they do but are they in the best place to judge if they are physically or emotionally fit to continue?
How often have we witnessed sportsmen and women telling the physio or medical staff they are Ok when clearly they are not?
Speaking as someone who worked in sports medicine I witnessed impaired judgement due to fatigue and when adrenaline kicks in it can mask all sorts of conditions. 

I think it depends how the particular rider chooses to run their business so it's difficult to put a "limit" on meetings or activity based on safety because they run things differently.

eg Rider 1 employs a full time mechanic who cleans and prepares the bikes, drives him to and from the meetings, so the rider can rest as required and just deal with the travelling and the riding.

Rider 2 employs a mechanic for the meeting only, drives themselves to and from every meeting, and cleans and maintains the bikes in between. 

The levels of fatigue will be very different. Some choose to get the help and see the mechanic as a necessary expense of running their business, some don't. 

Regarding the bike fatigue, my experience is simply some riders are willing or able to maintain their bikes to a higher standard than others, that's down to them. There are a lot of riders who refuse to spend money on their bikes as the season draws to a close and suffer the consequences when they break down.

As much as some will probably say they can't afford a mechanic, and the maintenance for the bikes, there are a similar amount who won't afford the help or the maintencance.

So I think a limit would be difficult to impose, as those doing it with help will be able to do a lot more than those without help.

I think the scariest one for me would be the ones driving themselves to and from meetings, if you ever put a tachograph on them, the results would be horrific.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wtf said:

I think it depends how the particular rider chooses to run their business so it's difficult to put a "limit" on meetings or activity based on safety because they run things differently.

eg Rider 1 employs a full time mechanic who cleans and prepares the bikes, drives him to and from the meetings, so the rider can rest as required and just deal with the travelling and the riding.

Rider 2 employs a mechanic for the meeting only, drives themselves to and from every meeting, and cleans and maintains the bikes in between. 

The levels of fatigue will be very different. Some choose to get the help and see the mechanic as a necessary expense of running their business, some don't. 

Regarding the bike fatigue, my experience is simply some riders are willing or able to maintain their bikes to a higher standard than others, that's down to them. There are a lot of riders who refuse to spend money on their bikes as the season draws to a close and suffer the consequences when they break down.

As much as some will probably say they can't afford a mechanic, and the maintenance for the bikes, there are a similar amount who won't afford the help or the maintencance.

So I think a limit would be difficult to impose, as those doing it with help will be able to do a lot more than those without help.

I think the scariest one for me would be the ones driving themselves to and from meetings, if you ever put a tachograph on them, the results would be horrific.

Indeed. I think the BSPA could help here by eliminating fixture congestion and especially ones where, sat Glasgow was riding Lakeside one night then the return meeting with Lakeside in Glasgow the following.

Just now, cinderfella said:

Indeed. I think the BSPA could help here by eliminating fixture congestion and especially ones where, sat Glasgow was riding Lakeside one night then the return meeting with Lakeside in Glasgow the following.

Certainly in the championship fixture planning is essential, but not always perfect. Northern tours were common place which helped (and southern tours for North based teams) in fact any geographical help was good.

I do remember several times having horrendous trips. I remember in 2012 the fixture list had us racing Edinburgh Friday night, Newport Saturday, with I think a 2pm start, then Glasgow Sunday. Thank god Newport went pop before we had to do that little road trip!, but there have been several others where you are literally one end of the country to another day after day.

But fixture planning is always a compromise and you can't please all the people all the time. At times it just has to work that way, but riders need to look at things realistically and consider would I earn more than it costs to purchase the help if I were well rested and not knackered. For many riders the costs of the help would be 1 or 2 points worth of money (championship) ranging from just a meeting mechanic to getting bikes prepped as well.

Sometimes burning the candle at both ends and not investing in help can cost you performance as well and as they only get paid when they perform it's a vicious circle

• Like 1

It's amazing that the human species survived until this point.
Let alone Speedway for 90 years.

It's the fatigue.
It's all too much.

NO.

Some top international riders do 3 or sometimes 4 countries in a week and they seem OK.