British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
slyfox

Teesside Silver Helmet

According to The BSPA web site The Teesside Silver Helmet (the longest still running trophy on UK speedway) is scheduled for Thursday 20th September. Looking forward to an excellent night of Speedway

That may be debatable about the longest running, is it not the scottish open? I could be wrong though.

According to my reasearch the “scottish open” started in 1928 but at the time it was know as the “Scottish Championship”.

I do look forward to the golde. Helent meetings as they normally produce great racing.

Thanks for advising of the date slyox :) 

Edited by GhostRider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GhostRider said:

That may be debatable about the longest running, is it not the scottish open? I could be wrong though.

According to my reasearch the “scottish open” started in 1928 but at the time it was know as the “Scottish Championship”.

I do look forward to the golde. Helent meetings as they normally produce great racing.

Thanks for advising of the date slyox :) 

Silver Helmet also goes back to 1928. Bears always claim theirs was first. 

think it was claimed that the trophy (a silver helmet) was the oldest. Since stolen unfortunately. 

"Teesside Silver Helmet at Redcar has now been postponed until Thursday 27th Sept due to horrendous weather forecast .
We apologise for any inconvenience .

Taken from Redcar Bears website

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Nice day not far away in durham !

Not bad right now here in Thornaby but Met office have issued a yellow warning for high winds as from 6pm tonight , right through to Friday and rain expected from 4pm onwards right through the night.

Quite understandable why the early decision to call the meeting off was taken

• Like 1

10 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Nice day not far away in durham !

Pity it's not being held in Durham and at 1.00pm, but it's not. :approve:

• Haha 1

Right call made by the promotion. Pretty grim evening and a lot of expense on flights etc would have been wasted. Fingers crossed for better weather next Thursday.

• Like 2