British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue v Somerset PL 5th September, 2018

5 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Agree, and the amount raised so far since the gofundme page was set up says it all.

Now his injuries are known to not be life threatening or career ending these funding pages are way way over the top. We ALL know injuries happen and are expected in this sport. It's par of the course.

Yes we are sorry for Dan as we are for any other rider, but unless injuries are life changing, these funding pages should be banned and used for what they were originally designed for. 

It's even worse though that some rider's use these funding sites for buying equipment. 

Best wishes to Dan and he comes back stronger in 2019.

"Banned " ?..... You do realise any contribution to these kind of funds is purely voluntary ???

This one is basically an on-line 'whip round' so Belle Vue fans can aid (financially) one of their stricken riders    

6 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's even worse though that some rider's use these funding sites for buying equipment. 

I've got to say over the years I've had to qualms about collections for injured riders but what really gets me is when they ask for contributions towards machinery.
Can you imagine a tradesman going round customers asking for a contribution towards new tools so he can get on with the job he's already getting paid for.
I'm sorry but in my view if a rider or any other sportsman choses to make a career out of a sport then it's up to them to self fund. Equally I strongly object to national Lottery Funding going to a few elite athletes to help in their pursuit of a bit of plated metal at the Olympics. It's their dream so them finance it. Lottery money would be better used to fund sporting clubs and give more youngsters the chance to participate.
This old dinosaur is going for a lie down now.
PS Would anyone care to donate to my luxury pneumatic bed? :D 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Just seen its live on BT tonight

I don't subscribe to BT Sport so can you tell me if they have the sense to block the transmission out of the local area so it doesn't affect the home crowd?
I don't suppose it would be financially viable for them to do that though.

1 minute ago, ZagarRacing said:

Aces can’t afford Worrall as a passenger this evening that’s for sure.

Hey he beat Doyle first time out

8 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Agree, and the amount raised so far since the gofundme page was set up says it all.

Now his injuries are known to not be life threatening or career ending these funding pages are way way over the top. We ALL know injuries happen and are expected in this sport. It's par of the course.

Yes we are sorry for Dan as we are for any other rider, but unless injuries are life changing, these funding pages should be banned and used for what they were originally designed for. 

Best wishes to Dan and he comes back stronger in 2019.

I have similar misgivings. 
I was down Poole when Chris Harris was presented with £500 (from memory.  It may have been more.) from some riders equipment fund.  Does Harris really need it?

They would be better off investing it in improving the Speedway infrastructure, i.e. the Poole track, it certainly needs it!

Similarly, you can bet Workington Speedway have a far greater need for the money than Bewley actually does.  Maybe even Belle Vue's finances are such that it would be a benefit to them.

Of course the money would have to be invested in improving the product, something promoters are not particularly known for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

I have similar misgivings. 
I was down Poole when Chris Harris was presented with £500 (from memory.  It may have been more.) from some riders equipment fund.  Does Harris really need it?

They would be better off investing it in improving the Speedway infrastructure, i.e. the Poole track, it certainly needs it!

Similarly, you can bet Workington Speedway have a far greater need for the money than Bewley actually does.  Maybe even Belle Vue's finances are such that it would be a benefit to them.

Of course the money would have to be invested in improving the product, something promoters are not particularly known for.

We are very fortunate at Glasgow where the current promotion are spending money on the stadium and facilities. Sadly they haven't had the same success in funding a winning team (yet)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ZagarRacing said:

Aces can’t afford Worrall as a passenger this evening that’s for sure.

Did not look much of a passenger in heat 1.

7 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Did not look much of a passenger in heat 1.

Nor in ht 9, hard luck on Tungate but a great race all the same.

1 minute ago, ZagarRacing said:

Game over Swindon

Does that mean you're off to bed now, school night n all that.

Racing has been cracking tonight. Harsh that Covatti is pointless as he has been well on the pace.