British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue v Somerset PL 5th September, 2018

4 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

The only thing that is of concern is that I really don't believe the crowd topped 1.000 ( inc. both stands ) and that is a tragedy.

If it was done like tonight everywhere the sport would eventually start to grow. 

It has a bad rep. 

The tracks are a major issue. 

• Like 1

I was at Salford City fc at the weekend, they had close to 3k in there, 5th tier of English football. 

Speedway just doesn't have the pull. No matter how good it is, to show anything like growth it has to be at its very best every single time, without fail. In this country. 

The sport is a minority and has to work harder for its punters, and even harder to keep them.

8 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

The only thing that is of concern is that I really don't believe the crowd topped 1.000 ( inc. both stands ) and that is a tragedy.

it is a worry, but I'm sure had it been on a friday night the turn out would of been much better, I'm afraid these FNR have not worked, especially at Belle Vue.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Wolves IS a good race track. But stop trolling. The NSS is one of the best tracks in the world. Without question.

Thought the 1st half of the match was pretty average with minimal passing but from heat 9 onwards wow, wow, wow.

We are so lucky to have a track this good in the UK. 

The track is the same as its always been Steve. Its the bikes that have changed and the consequences are that it's now much harder to ride and that has impacted the quality of racing. 

The bikes will continue to evolve and those tracks which can carry these bikes essentially safeguard themselves against this evolution. You'd still get quality racing on the NSS if you were riding a 70s jap, for example, like you would at Monmore, but put a modern machine at the green and it is a problem. 

It's a real 50/50 argument, imo the sport will always keep developing so it's the tracks that need to change. Not the bikes. 

Wolves was a good track, it's just irrelevant in today's speedway. Imo. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, acef said:

If it was done like tonight everywhere the sport would eventually start to grow. 

It has a bad rep. 

The tracks are a major issue. 

Well it's the bikes getting faster. That's not going to change any time soon. A lot of tracks don't have the room or the money to change their tracks to comply with the modern bike.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Well it's the bikes getting faster. That's not going to change any time soon. A lot of tracks don't have the room or the money to change their tracks to comply with the modern bike.

It won't and it shouldn't either. 

To carry the tracks in the UK you are recreating the sport of speedway now, because nowhere else will change the equipment. Bigger tracks carry these bikes better so the continent is absolutely fine. 

It would make it an amateur sport here and that would be curtains. 

2 minutes ago, acef said:

To carry the tracks in the UK you are recreating the sport of speedway now, because nowhere else will change the equipment. Bigger tracks carry these bikes better so the continent is absolutely fine. 

I've been up the pub. You don't make much sense to me.I will look again in the morning.

15 minutes ago, acef said:

The track is the same as its always been Steve. Its the bikes that have changed and the consequences are that it's now much harder to ride and that has impacted the quality of racing. 

The bikes will continue to evolve and those tracks which can carry these bikes essentially safeguard themselves against this evolution. You'd still get quality racing on the NSS if you were riding a 70s jap, for example, like you would at Monmore, but put a modern machine at the green and it is a problem. 

It's a real 50/50 argument, imo the sport will always keep developing so it's the tracks that need to change. Not the bikes. 

Wolves was a good track, it's just irrelevant in today's speedway. Imo. 

Good point. Bikes are way harder to ride and handle in recent years than say 20 years ago. Mostly track prep doesn’t move with the times.

20 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Good point. Bikes are way harder to ride and handle in recent years than say 20 years ago. Mostly track prep doesn’t move with the times.

It doesn't but I'm not sure that is the only issue. Wolves would need to be really slick to get the most of the bikes. Its always been well prepared Monmore, you can certainly vouch for that, and still is. However the bikes don't like it. Its got such tight entrances to the turns, to scrub off all that speed and then run into some dirt is what causes the problem. It kills the back wheel and then they react like a bucking bronco. These bikes need to be turning over all the time, taps always open. Even some smaller tracks have a more natural curvature, like Somerset and Scunny, where you can keep the bike winding and still have some room to correct a reaction or rider mistake. 

Rye. Arena. Training tracks. That's all they are good for. 

I hope wolves doesn't go the same way. 

Apologies for saying Monmore was irrelevant BTW, thats not what I meant. 

Edited by acef
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stoke Potter said:

You were doing well tonight until that.  Still the jealousy/hate flows.

Lynn's a dire track, can understand why you'd be jealous.

What he says vvvv

57 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think you are barking up the wrong tree there, Daniel doesn’t even go to Lynn any more.

No jealousy at all. Love watching racing at the NSS and if every track was the same in this country the sport should be in a far far greater position. 

But by my no means am I ever going to applaud or acknowledge Morton and the other one, Gordon wasn't it? Belle Vue would have gone bankrupt with them in charge. Also, wasn't it Morton who took no responsibility for the troubles and stabbed his partner in the back to save his own skin??

I love that stadium and the racing it produces but according to the current owners it's still running loses.

If Belle Vue can't make ends meet with it's current stadium and quality of racing it delivers, there's nothing for any other clubs to get jealous about apart from putting themselves at serious financial risk. 

To echo other Aces fans, the fixed nights have hit us hard crowd wise. Not only overall numbers, but to me the number of kids seems lower than last year when we ran on Fridays. We have to go back to Friday nights, better for grown ups at the end of the working week, & kids too where the parents don't have to worry about them getting up for school the next morning. 

Back to tonight, an absolute privilege to watch that match in the flesh, full-on commitment from both sides, thrilling! Look forward to watching it back on TV tomorrow. Hope Doyle's OK too, looked an awkward off from where I was. 

Edited by mikec
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, acef said:

I was agreeing with you essentially. 

Although I don't think we see the same end game. 

Gustrow for me is an example of what can be done with a 'smallish' footprint...

Maybe tracks over here that are quite long in the straights with narrow entrances and exits to the bends could take the white lines in a bit and make themselves wider and more circular...?

Wouldn't need any more space....

Possibly drainage an issue?

The more time spent going sideways definitely improves the racing as track craft comes more into play, rather than a straight line drag race down the track followed by then throwing the bike into the apex on the inside of the turn, and sliding it up to the fence on the exit of the next turn. Then fire back down the straight again, repeat ad infinitum..

Wide circular tracks suit the modern bikes...

Can they adapt the current ones to meet that requirement?

5 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

What he says vvvv

No jealousy at all. Love watching racing at the NSS and if every track was the same in this country the sport should be in a far far greater position. 

But by my no means am I ever going to applaud or acknowledge Morton and the other one, Gordon wasn't it? Belle Vue would have gone bankrupt with them in charge. Also, wasn't it Morton who took no responsibility for the troubles and stabbed his partner in the back to save his own skin??

I love that stadium and the racing it produces but according to the current owners it's still running loses.

If Belle Vue can't make ends meet with it's current stadium and quality of racing it delivers, there's nothing for any other clubs to get jealous about apart from putting themselves at serious financial risk. 

Belle Vue probably wouldn't exist if it were not for Chris Morton, we all know it went wrong but that's not what Philip Rising was talking about when he offered the praise for Mort.

You are quite mean spirited aren't you, in this thread alone you've stated there should be no collection for the injured Dan Bewley and now you're slagging off Chris Morton, but you're not jealous eh.