British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue v Somerset PL 5th September, 2018

Great meeting, heat 13 was amazing. Show that race to any non-speedway fan and there's no way they wouldn't be entertained by it. If only we could have the majority if not all tracks capable of producing that.

Not that it made any difference but was surprised heat 15 was awarded. Holder was almost level with Cook/Fricke (can't remember which!) anything could have happened in another lap on that track!

Edited by The Cheese

Fabulous meeting, I really enjoyed that. Heat 13 was the best race I have seen for years, a great advert for the sport, but so much to do with the design of the track which allows passing in so many places. I've always been a "flat out round the boards" sort of guy, so its just a shame I don't live nearer Belle Vue. Congratulations to all involved and I hope Doyle was OK after that nasty looking spill.

10 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Great meeting, heat 13 was amazing. Show that race to any non-speedway fan and there's no way they wouldn't be entertained by it. If only we could have the majority if not all tracks capable of producing that.

Not that it made any difference but was surprised heat 15 was awarded. Holder was almost level with Cook/Fricke (can't remember which!) anything could have happened in another lap on that track!

3-3 would have been enough for Aces anyway !!

Congratulations to both Belle Vue and Somerset Rebels on their play offs qualification. Good luck to both teams...

11 hours ago, acef said:

It doesn't but I'm not sure that is the only issue. Wolves would need to be really slick to get the most of the bikes. Its always been well prepared Monmore, you can certainly vouch for that, and still is. However the bikes don't like it. Its got such tight entrances to the turns, to scrub off all that speed and then run into some dirt is what causes the problem. It kills the back wheel and then they react like a bucking bronco. These bikes need to be turning over all the time, taps always open. Even some smaller tracks have a more natural curvature, like Somerset and Scunny, where you can keep the bike winding and still have some room to correct a reaction or rider mistake. 

Rye. Arena. Training tracks. That's all they are good for. 

I hope wolves doesn't go the same way. 

Apologies for saying Monmore was irrelevant BTW, thats not what I meant. 

Track prep of course is key and the riders are always happy when a track is well prepared, regardless of the size.

I didn’t take any offence at the irrelevant comment as I gathered what you meant by it.

Monmore remains the sort of track that is great at mastering the art of throttle control which is still a key skill to being a well rounded rider.

Whilst I agree with most of what you say my only slight disagreement is that you see bikes taking off and lifting violently on tracks of all sizes so of course it is a power issue and generally not rider error in those events. 

2 hours ago, Fred Flange said:

It sounds like I missed a great meeting last night.

Certainly from the mid-point of the match you did. I hope you'll be able to see a TV repeat showing, or other recording, and hit the rewind button a few times on heat 13!!

33 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Anyone with a link to ht 13 last night

Have just seen that Natalie Quirk has posted it on twitter so try her twitter feed showing it from @btsport

try this      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

ACADEMIC really. In a rerun both BV riders would have needed to not finish to stop the Aces reaching the play-offs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Have just seen that Natalie Quirk has posted it on twitter so try her twitter feed showing it from @btsport

try this      

Fantastc race even better with the sound turned off lol

5 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Jack Holder impresses me more and more he is improving rapidly him and Fricke can become gp riders.Berge,Wilson Dean,Allen all had there moments they battled hard enjoyed the meeting so much a brilliant advert for our sport.

I'd agree. He was really in the thick of the action last night. And, in a recent Ekstraliga match I attended in Poland, he was superb - starting his night by passing Tai Woffinden to win heat 1 on Tai's home track. He went onto win three heats, had two thirds and fell off in his other ride whilst in a close fought race with Max.

Max, himself, has been simply brilliant in recent matches at the NSS, but his efforts don't seem to translate into big point hauls regularly yet in Poland. In the same match Max netted just 4+2 from 5 rides but rode hard all night.

It certainly would be good to see them both in the GPs in the coming years. Shame they're not British to join, say,  Tai, Robert Lambert and Dan Bewley in Team GB. Pure conjecture, but if we still had the same situation that existed in the days when Ivan Mauger and Briggo rode in the British team, we might just have had a future World Cup winning line-up with those five??

13 minutes ago, BarracudaAce said:

I'd agree. He was really in the thick of the action last night. And, in a recent Ekstraliga match I attended in Poland, he was superb - starting his night by passing Tai Woffinden to win heat 1 on Tai's home track. He went onto win three heats, had two thirds and fell off in his other ride whilst in a close fought race with Max.

Max, himself, has been simply brilliant in recent matches at the NSS, but his efforts don't seem to translate into big point hauls regularly yet in Poland. In the same match Max netted just 4+2 from 5 rides but rode hard all night.

It certainly would be good to see them both in the GPs in the coming years. Shame they're not British to join, say,  Tai, Robert Lambert and Dan Bewley in Team GB. Pure conjecture, but if we still had the same situation that existed in the days when Ivan Mauger and Briggo rode in the British team, we might just have had a future World Cup winning line-up with those five??

Max ,Jack, Lambo,Drabik,Smektala the GP series in the future looks bright.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Fantastc race even better with the sound turned off lol

Then you do not have to listen to some of the mistakes Nigel makes, he named the wrong rider at least twice last night. 

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Jack Holder impresses me more and more he is improving rapidly him and Fricke can become gp riders.Berge,Wilson Dean,Allen all had there moments they battled hard enjoyed the meeting so much a brilliant advert for our sport.

I’d say even at this stage he is a shoe in for Rebels rider of the year. Debbie must move heaven and earth to get him back next year. Come on leaps and bounds since he left Poole. Not having a dig at Poole before 5000 of you start flooding this excellent thread with off topic stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cliffeboy said:

I’d say even at this stage he is a shoe in for Rebels rider of the year. Debbie must move heaven and earth to get him back next year. Come on leaps and bounds since he left Poole. Not having a dig at Poole before 5000 of you start flooding this excellent thread with off topic stuff.

Added a bit of Devil/ aggression to his class as well.

• Like 1