British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue v Somerset PL 5th September, 2018

6 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Crikey a Stoke fan trying to tell a Poole fan about track prep!!!

Remind me, how many meetings did Stoke have to call off this season because their track was unraceable?

If you go by the number of meetings attended at various tracks this season then I am more of a Poole and Belle Vue than a Stoke fan...

As I've said on other threads, you won't find me defending the state of Stoke, it is generally poor. 
Unfortunately for the sport there are too many tracks that are poorly prepared or badly shaped.

Stoke at it's best (mid 80's) was considerably better than Poole.  I remember going Poole in the 80's and there was a massive mound on the 4th bend.

From memory, Marvyn Cox tried to draw the Ref's attention to it but the ref made them get on with it and I think David Biles ended up coming off and breaking his leg...

18 hours ago, foreverblue said:

The problem is that a race like heat 13 was commonplace years ago and if we had more of them then the sport as a whole would benefit. Surely more people would turn up if a race like that could happen more often. Kings Lynn and Peterborough had a reputation for being good racetracks but not so much these days.Leicester had the chance to make a good racetrack but seem to have messed it up. Could tracks be changed to make them more like the NSS or should we just be happy that we have speedway at all and accept that some tracks are better than others. 

Commonplace?!

I know we all tend to slip on the rose-tinted specs when we look back on the past, but I think that’s stretching it.

I have never seen anything as good as that in 38 years of watching the sport. And I was spoiled growing up with PC and Mort at Hyde Road.

A rider going from last to first on the last turn? I’ve certainly never seen that before. 

Bar Doyle in fourth, at some point in the race, every rider occupied every place. 

Nine overtakes?

Let’s be honest, it was a once in a lifetime race - no matter whether your favourite era was the 50s, 70s or modern day.

One word too for a guy who we all should be thankful that we are able to debate a race like this - Chris Morton.

We wouldn’t have a track like this without his hard work and vision. The pity is he is not able to truly enjoy the fruits of his labour in person.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, falcace said:

Commonplace?!

I know we all tend to slip on the rose-tinted specs when we look back on the past, but I think that’s stretching it.

I have never seen anything as good as that in 38 years of watching the sport. And I was spoiled growing up with PC and Mort at Hyde Road.

A rider going from last to first on the last turn? I’ve certainly never seen that before. 

Bar Doyle in fourth, at some point in the race, every rider occupied every place. 

Nine overtakes?

Let’s be honest, it was a once in a lifetime race - no matter whether your favourite era was the 50s, 70s or modern day.

One word too for a guy who we all should be thankful that we are able to debate a race like this - Chris Morton.

We wouldn’t have a track like this without his hard work and vision. The pity is he is not able to truly enjoy the fruits of his labour in person.

I agree with you about the race. I have been following the Aces since the mid 50's and can't recall a better race.

I also agree with what you say about Chris Morton and let's not forget that David Gordon also played his part. As I understand the position, the current management have invited him to attend and would make him very welcome, as would the fans. He did attend the 90th anniversary meeting and received the biggest cheer of the night when the former riders were introduced but for whatever personal reasons, which I can understand, hasn't felt able to attend since.

Despite what happened in 2016 and there are very different sides to that story, Belle Vue owe a huge debt to Chris and David for keeping the club alive during their time at the dog track, when they were losing money year after year and for having the vision and determination to get the NSS built. They have left us with a tremendous legacy.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hmmm. I thought it was an excellent race but to say it’s the best race in 38 years is ridiculous. Seen just as good or better races in the GP and Poland. The Darcy Ward GP race against Hancock and Gollob was better imo. Doyle made an error to allow Fricke to get him. However it was top notch no doubt about it.

22 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hmmm. I thought it was an excellent race but to say it’s the best race in 38 years is ridiculous. Seen just as good or better races in the GP and Poland. The Darcy Ward GP race against Hancock and Gollob was better imo. Doyle made an error to allow Fricke to get him. However it was top notch no doubt about it.

HT 13 was much more than Fricke's last bend heroics. It was a great race between Doyle, Holder and Cook for almost the whole four laps before Fricke stole their thunder.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I remember that ward race. Brilliant. Another one was him and Emil at new Zealand class. All 3 races mentioned are up there with the best ever. 

Regarding Doyle's mistake. Assume no one saw frickes mistake at same point as Doyle made his error. He also lifted and lost his speed 

34 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

I remember that ward race. Brilliant. Another one was him and Emil at new Zealand class. All 3 races mentioned are up there with the best ever. 

Regarding Doyle's mistake. Assume no one saw frickes mistake at same point as Doyle made his error. He also lifted and lost his speed 

Fricke not going  very well in Poland tonight. 

Edited by foreverblue

36 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Fricke not going  very well in Poland tonight. 

Different league over there. It's like comparing Rita ora to Rita sullivan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Both good races, particularly the first, which was excellent but still didn't match heat 13. I've seen many brilliant races, particularly involving Collins and Morton at Hyde Road and including the Collins and Michanek KO Cup run off, which was regarded by many, including me, as the best race they had seen. It's a matter of opinion but for me heat 13 is now the best. Three riders you could throw a blanket over for four laps, passing and repassing and then the fourth rider coming from last to first on the last two bends to win.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Different league over there. It's like comparing Rita ora to Rita sullivan

He did beat Brady Kurtz in one race but not sure that is a great result these days. 

4 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

He did beat Brady Kurtz in one race but not sure that is a great result these days. 

He beat Emil in the same race.  Only 3 riders in the meeting scored more and he was riding away also.  Did a good job tonight.  But either way has nothing to do with heat 13 on Wednesday.

37 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

He beat Emil in the same race.  Only 3 riders in the meeting scored more and he was riding away also.  Did a good job tonight.  But either way has nothing to do with heat 13 on Wednesday.

Yes but Emil rides for the same team so the only opposition rider he beat was Kurtz. He is in good form though especially at Belle Vue.