British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue v Somerset PL 5th September, 2018

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

How do you know our track is uneven, you walked it ?

You just have to see recordings of races, no need to walk the track

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It doesn’t help when two of the 4 semi finalists are doctoring their track to give extra home advantage. Somerset are making it one line for their riders, proved by the last two meetings, and Kings Lynn are making the track ultra grippy, proved by the meetings against Poole and Leicester.

While there is nothing illegal about doing this, it takes away exciting racing. A grippy track makes racing very fast and spread out. A one line track means if you don’t get bullied off the inside line you win. Neither are conducive to exciting, thrilling racing the fans and BT demand.

Fans could argue that if Somerset make the track an inside line only, then Poole should gate and sit on the inside. Easier said than done. The Somerset riders will have their setups sorted out of the gate.

Same goes for Lynn. Whilst Iversen doesn’t like grippy tracks, making it grippy helps their riders at the bottom end.  Simon Lambert said he wished it was ultra grippy every week.

Somerset certainly wasn't doctored when I went to watch Belle Vue there the other week even though they had every reason to do it. In fact it was quite superb as this race proves :

18 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

Yes really.  We've both discussed this before on here more than once.  It's about attracting the layman. 
I defy anybody not to be at least slightly impressed with that Heat 13 last night, the spectacle of the sheer speed combined with the close proximity of the riders is a sight to behold.  Fricke must've been nudging 70+mph at times in that race.
It's not quite the same watching 4 riders pootle round the Plymouth merry-go-round at 40-50mph tops, whether the lead changes several times or not.

You are a seasoned fan and can appreciate it, fair enough but no way can you say what you saw at Plymouth bettered or even matched that at Belle Vue last night.

Lakeside is an utterly dire trick-track, the same as Wolves and the rules should be changed so that no new track can be made like that.

I defy anyone not to be impressed, too.   

However, given that I saw both  and you did not, I am the only one of us qualified to give a judgement on any comparison.

Belle Vue was better but the one at Plymouth wasn't far behind and I'd point out that while you had the World Champion, a GP star and two of world's best young riders in one of the races in the other there were 2 riders who haven't even ridden Championship speedway, never mind Premiership. 

I am seriously suspecting you have never been to Plymouth, because no--one who has would ever use that word about the speedway there. For a start, because the track is much smaller the speeds seem faster. Secondly, you very rarely get the riders spaced out (Workington and Isle of Wight are two of my favourite destinations but that happens a lot at both places, simply because of the size) so the possibility of racing and the closeness of the riders is greater. Finally, the first turns are unlike anywhere else in the country. Because the run is so short, the riders are much closer together and many a time I have looked away expecting carnage - that actually very rarely happens. Its been somewhat spoilt by a promoter who thinks he knows better than an experienced track curator but SBA is still a brilliant little circuit. 

I like Lakeside and have said so many times.  Just because it is different does not mean it cannot be good. 

Its no coincidence that the best circuits in the country are purpose built speedway tracks (Belle Vue, Somerset, Scunthorpe and...…….. Plymouth). For many, though, its a question of shoehorning a track into a stadium whilst not damaging any of the other facilities. If speedway is reintroduced at Odsal, its a problem they will most certainly have. 

• Like 1

Makes you wonder if that home defeat to Belle Vue prompted Somerset’s inside line approach to track prep. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nw42 said:

Is it not possible for you to post without having a dig?  Loram v Louis was also good but "it was just 2 riders passing" after all. 

Why is it having a dig?

The heat 13 at Belle Vue was better than both races by quite a way as all 4 riders covered by a blanket and a guy from last to first in half a lap.

The Poole race of Havvy and Rempala was also very good but only involved 2 riders so in my view wasnt as good as the other night

I then remarked that the best 2 riders passing race was Loram v Louis.

Wasnt having a dig just my opinion......why are people so touchy

So Somerset doctored their track to give them advantage and Poole fans moan....seriously lol.

Lets hope that the Poole boys set their bikes up for a tight inside line and Somerset dont doctor it.

Pooles track is the worst of the 4 teams left in for track prep and some fans have the audacity to complain about other teams.

7 minutes ago, Gavan said:

So Somerset doctored their track to give them advantage and Poole fans moan....seriously lol.

Lets hope that the Poole boys set their bikes up for a tight inside line and Somerset dont doctor it.

Pooles track is the worst of the 4 teams left in for track prep and some fans have the audacity to complain about other teams.

You couldn't make it up could you,  all certain Poole posters do is moan about other teams,  as if they have the best race track in the uk !!!

Edited by Buttons

3 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Somerset certainly wasn't doctored when I went to watch Belle Vue there the other week even though they had every reason to do it. In fact it was quite superb as this race proves :

I defy anyone not to be impressed, too.   

However, given that I saw both  and you did not, I am the only one of us qualified to give a judgement on any comparison.

Belle Vue was better but the one at Plymouth wasn't far behind and I'd point out that while you had the World Champion, a GP star and two of world's best young riders in one of the races in the other there were 2 riders who haven't even ridden Championship speedway, never mind Premiership. 

I am seriously suspecting you have never been to Plymouth, because no--one who has would ever use that word about the speedway there. For a start, because the track is much smaller the speeds seem faster. Secondly, you very rarely get the riders spaced out (Workington and Isle of Wight are two of my favourite destinations but that happens a lot at both places, simply because of the size) so the possibility of racing and the closeness of the riders is greater. Finally, the first turns are unlike anywhere else in the country. Because the run is so short, the riders are much closer together and many a time I have looked away expecting carnage - that actually very rarely happens. Its been somewhat spoilt by a promoter who thinks he knows better than an experienced track curator but SBA is still a brilliant little circuit. 

I like Lakeside and have said so many times.  Just because it is different does not mean it cannot be good. 

Its no coincidence that the best circuits in the country are purpose built speedway tracks (Belle Vue, Somerset, Scunthorpe and...…….. Plymouth). For many, though, its a question of shoehorning a track into a stadium whilst not damaging any of the other facilities. If speedway is reintroduced at Odsal, its a problem they will most certainly have. 

How does Plymouth compare to the last version of Weymouth in your opinion?

How you can compare Belle Vue with Scunthorpe, Somerset and Plymouth is just bizarre in my view.  

Interesting that many people on here are advocating more tracks to be like BV - please point me towards the thread where people are requesting more tracks like Plymouth.

The IoW is based on an old athletics track I believe, which makes it the wrong shape for Speedway.  I've been several times, never seen anything remotely close to what I've seen at BV on various occasions.  The IoW promotion are spoken about in very positive terms these days.  The true measure of them as a promotion is whether they invest in the track and get it remodelled to be a proper track.  Yes a copy of Belle Vue will do fine.  I actually think a BV track could be fitted in there.  Time will tell.

I regard Poole as one of the better shaped tracks in the country - it has been let down in recent years by having an extremely rough surface.  So bad last year that Hans Andersen had an off in the first bend which in my view was down to a rut that actually broke his rear spindle!  I'm surprised he didn't make more of it but perhaps he knew which side his bread was buttered so to speak. 

Matt Ford has gone down in my estimation by not keeping his track up to a decent standard then playing at fixing it last winter by getting, if I recall right, Glyn Taylor on the case.

Edited by Stoke Potter
Bad English!

7 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

You just have to see recordings of races, no need to walk the track

Theres bumps and ruts in every track.  Nobody knows what our track is like unless you walk it.

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

:D People don’t need to walk your track, any video of a race from Poole shows riders back wheels jumping around in the corners. Mr Shovlar recently added one from Wednesday night and good race though it was it clearly shows an uneven and bare (maybe with a blue groove?) inside line.

Nobody will ever convince me that a track with lumps, bumps and holes has been prepared in the best way. The smoother the better for me as it gives riders the ultimate confidence to throw their bikes at each other, just like Belle Vue the other night. Uneven tracks will make away riders tentative and play into home riders hands who know where the obstacles are.

Really, now you tell me how to prepare it then ? As i said, there 's bumps and ruts in every track. And dont ask me to elaborate, as i wont..;) And yes, i do know how it should be prepared..

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

Havnt you got a national development league side to support..

22 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

Yes really.  We've both discussed this before on here more than once.  It's about attracting the layman. 
I defy anybody not to be at least slightly impressed with that Heat 13 last night, the spectacle of the sheer speed combined with the close proximity of the riders is a sight to behold.  Fricke must've been nudging 70+mph at times in that race.
It's not quite the same watching 4 riders pootle round the Plymouth merry-go-round at 40-50mph tops, whether the lead changes several times or not.

You are a seasoned fan and can appreciate it, fair enough but no way can you say what you saw at Plymouth bettered or even matched that at Belle Vue last night.

Lakeside is an utterly dire trick-track, the same as Wolves and the rules should be changed so that no new track can be made like that.

Your right, 70 mph is about right for a fast track.. Batch has a video on his website of him hitting 68 mph at Lynn when he was practicing. And the track wasn't as grippy as it would be in a meeting I guess. :t:

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Really, now you tell me how to prepare it then ? As i said, there 's bumps and ruts in every track. And dont ask me to elaborate, as i wont..;) And yes, i do know how it should be prepared..

I'll tell you:
1.  Blade the whole lot off kerb to boards, not just the first 2 metres or whatever was done last winter, and get the whole base fixed.  Yes, big job. :t:

2. Put some decent material back on and more of it than you usually do so there are no blue groove/slick patches during the meeting.

3. Water it during the meeting so it's not a dust bowl, as it is far too often.

Where are the ruts on the Belle Vue bends?

• Like 1

Or the bumps and certainly no holes. Chris Holder said before the season started that the Poole track had been neglected for years. That was before the winter patch and mend operation which didn't turn out too well.

Edited by Aces51

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

Or the bumps and certainly no holes. Chris Holder said before the season started that the Poole track had been neglected for years. That was before the winter patch and mend operation which didn't turn out too well.

It wasn’t a patchup. The whole of the first and second bends were relaid from base upwards.