British Speedway Forum
cyclone

Edinburgh vs Workington, SGB Championship, 31st August, 2018, 7.30pm

1 hour ago, Byker Biker said:

This is just great, so tell me which gear ratio? Do we change it every race as the track slickens? Back wheel right back or forward? Toe out or in line? We'll leave ignition timing and jetting for the time being and I don't think we'll need to tilt the bars forward a touch to get us up the front on grippy starts - there's not enough races to sort it all out!

The majority of the riders have been going there for many seasons and still can't figure it out,that's why they are just journeymen riders trying to earn a living from a sport that can't afford them full time.

• Like 2

Love these moans about the stadium and the viewing.  What do you expect us to do about it?  In the current state of british speedway glad to have a track and team to support.  We have survived only a couple seasons in the future everysince we moved there and again don't  see much light ahead but some 'fans' would happily see us (and some other teams/tracks) fold.  No monarchs in 5 years time a real possibility. 

Promotion/Directors  have done wonders compared to what we started with.  Yes there are areas viewing is not great so I don't stand there.  Always see away fans on 3rd/4th bend (which is the best view imo, outside hospitality).  Good few worky fans tonight fair play on travelling up. 

At every away track your greeted with some funny looks and murmers when you stand in the 'wrong place' I see it as their problem not mine.  Unfortunately every team has their idiot fans.  

Then onto the trick track, again we didn't have much choice about size/shape not sure how we could change it or how else it could have been built.  We prepare it for our riders and shudnt every team do that?  It is a home track after all and shud have advantage.  #tricktrackproud

Onto last night's meeting, was more about the gating than racing.  Monarchs far superior from the gate.  Few good races thrown in (from both teams).  Sure it will be a different story tonight but come away with a point shud be expected.

Taken the bait and now not giving it back....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

According to William tracks are far more differently set up now than they were back then. So obviously finding a set up is going to take a little bit of time he’s actually getting better each time he goes out. 

And obviously the monarchs management will help with this by ensuring he'll get a minimum of 4 rides in every match 

10 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

And obviously the monarchs management will help with this by ensuring he'll get a minimum of 4 rides in every match 

Obviously that depends on the match situation if you have a good Team Manager,he might get 7 rides if the right situation arises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Sadly he doesn't look a shadow of his former self. Think he may well prove to be the achilles heel come the play offs. He's not improved round his home track which he should know so going to tracks he hasn't seen fo 8 years will prove more than a little testing for him i'd think.

What a lot of nonsense. It would take any rider a few weeks to get back up to speed after missing half a season, yet Willie has been out for 8 years - so what on earth do you expect? He's improving heat by heat, week by week at the moment and last night the main issue for him was just being a tad slow to get to the 1st bend. He came from the back to pass Bach in heat 2 and also heat 14, though Rene repassed him later in the heat, and he also took Campton from the back after a couple of laps in heat 7, though again he was caught on the run in to the line. 

If he keeps improving at the rate he is doing so, (bearing in mind he was well off the pace when he rode his first match back) he'll be what he stated he hoped he might be on the mic last week - able to bang in 4 or 5 each week at home by playoff time and add a couple away. He could well yet turn out to be the secret weapon, not the Achilles heel...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

This is just great, so tell me which gear ratio? Do we change it every race as the track slickens? Back wheel right back or forward? Toe out or in line? We'll leave ignition timing and jetting for the time being and I don't think we'll need to tilt the bars forward a touch to get us up the front on grippy starts - there's not enough races to sort it all out!

Like Ghost rider said originally, any rider worth their salt with half a brain would be able to work that lot out after a heat on the track. It IS  their job, after all... Just ask the two debutants from Sheffield who rode it a couple of weeks back - they seemed to manage just fine.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

The majority of the riders have been going there for many seasons and still can't figure it out,that's why they are just journeymen riders trying to earn a living from a sport that can't afford them full time.

Of course, oh i forgot tyre pressures too

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stewmac said:

Like Ghost rider said originally, any rider worth their salt with half a brain would be able to work that lot out after a heat on the track. It IS  their job, after all... Just ask the two debutants from Sheffield who rode it a couple of weeks back - they seemed to manage just fine.

Oh aye, and if some folk had ever raced a Speedway bike they'd think a bit harder before posting on here. This forum is full of Team Managers, Promoters and expert riders who stand on the terraces every week filling a programme in, crack on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Are you for real? Any rider taking your approach would never even bother turning up to race any meeting anywhere, as they'd have talked themselves out of it before they started. 

Just now, Byker Biker said:

Oh aye, and if some folk had ever raced a Speedway bike they'd think a bit harder before posting on here. This forum is full of Team Managers, Promoters and expert riders who stand on the terraces every week filling a programme in, crack on.

I have raced a speedway bike, so it's you who needs to crack on, pal !

8 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Pour one for me, although it's a bit early.:drink:

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, stewmac said:

When it was much slicker than normal! If a track is prepared grippy (as is any home teams right) it’s a different kettle of fish, riders aren’t used to it and if the home riders have the set ups spot on then you get score charts like last night where quality, experienced away riders are made to look silly. We had it at Lynn in the noughties.....I remember thrashing Edinburgh in 2003 and riders like Rory Schlein and Frede Schott were being beaten by Darren Mallett and Adam Allott simply because of set ups. 

Of course it helps when you have a good team like Edinburgh have, I don’t see comments about home advantage as a criticism, it’s just reality. And doesn’t need to be met with defensiveness. As long as the track doesn’t have bumps and holes in it then it’s all good.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

A lot of the  them need to go back to basics ,open the throttle when they let out the clutch.:t:

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

This was pretty much the same response i was going to post. 

3 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

According to William tracks are far more differently set up now than they were back then. So obviously finding a set up is going to take a little bit of time he’s actually getting better each time he goes out. 

I say bring back his Dad. :party: He never failed to get it right, before he changed it to make it worse. In those days Willie didn't dare touch his bike, so now he is probably still learning.

• Haha 1