British Speedway Forum
cyclone

Edinburgh vs Workington, SGB Championship, 31st August, 2018, 7.30pm

3 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

No Chris has been around for a good long time. I sat in the box with him a few times when I was training but that's another story for the close season lol

I was only joking trying to explain his mistakes. Known him for years.

Edited by Tsunami

21 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I was only joking trying to explain his mistakes. Known him for years.

I did wonder.
My all time favourite ref was from down your way - the late Will Hunter. Lovely guy.

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

I did wonder.
My all time favourite ref was from down your way - the late Will Hunter. Lovely guy.

Quite agree. He was a lovely man and when we first opened up in 1997 he often popped in on the Sunday afternoon on his bike to see how we were doing. Very instrumental in the running of Felton Training track along with Ken Marshall, now Berwick. Very sad day he died, and a good turnout for his funeral  held in I think Alwinton in the valley in Northumberland.  Well attended by promotions, riders and  SCB officials.

I knew Will as he was keen collector of old speedway programmes (esp Newcastle post war to 1951) and we helped each other out over the years

A really nice modest man who was imo, a top notch ref.

I particularly remember when he was forced to abandon a meeting at Powderhall due to poor track prep.

A group of irate fans congregated at the pits with one guy particularly vociferous. 

Will introduced himself to the individual as being the ref and fully explained why the decision was made.

This defused the frustration of the fans and I was impressed by his actions to enter into dialogue with a potentially hostile group. 

• Like 1