British Speedway Forum
TesarRacing

Somerset Speedway.....

Is Somerset the only speedway team currently and over the years to be named after a county as opposed to a town or city etc?

Just something that sprung to my mind today!! 

Just now, IronScorpion said:

Kent

Ah, good shout! Don't know why I missed that one.

Is there any reason why these teams have been named after their counties?

I think a few years ago Sittingbourne were in the NL & have now been rebranded as Kent.

It could be because of where they race is not instantly recognisable so naming after a county gives them more exposure especially if no other team is close by.

Arena Essex, and the Fife Lions, although the latter never competed in a league. There have been several second/junior teams, such as Devon Demons, Norfolk Braves, and Cleveland Bays.

Steve

Apparently when Rayleigh moved to Rye House back in 1974, Len Silver wanted to rename the club ‘Herts County’

4 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

I think a few years ago Sittingbourne were in the NL & have now been rebranded as Kent.

It could be because of where they race is not instantly recognisable so naming after a county gives them more exposure especially if no other team is close by.

I think with Kent it's because Iwade still own the name Sittingbourne Speedway?

Scottish Monarchs were neither city nor county.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Scottish Monarchs were neither city nor county.

Same with Anglian Angels and Southern Rovers.

Steve

• Like 1

Western warriors & Kent crusaders from 1994.

Edited by cityrebel
Mistake in post

Let's get back to Somerset.  The Rebels have just qualified for the big-league playoffs, and are in the semi-finals of the Cup.

Let's talk about their success and leave obscure non-teams to a topic of their own.

1 hour ago, Uluru said:

Let's get back to Somerset.  The Rebels have just qualified for the big-league playoffs, and are in the semi-finals of the Cup.

Let's talk about their success and leave obscure non-teams to a topic of their own.

If you want discuss Somerset you need to go to the Premiership section. This thread is about teams not named after towns or cities. 

Anyway, apart from Kent and Somerset I don't think there's many more.

Edit:- Bristol today is actually classified as a county, so Bristol Bulldogs would qualify.

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 3