British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Kings Lynn v Leicester Wednesday September 5th double header

2 hours ago, g13webb said:

But what is more important,   brilliant races and losing, or  grippier track and winning.     That's a big question.  I have witness many years when our track was of no home advantage and the opposition loved to race here.   Yes, we have seen some wonderful races, but have won only a handful of  trophies, never the big one.    Now we have the opportunity to write our name in the history books, and to me any help from the track preparation would be most welcome.   You may depend that the Rebels and Poole will have their track to suit them .    I feel for Belle Vue because every rider loves the track and the home advantage is minimal, if they were to change it,  then it would be a handicap to BV as well..  

The only fact that is important is the score.   You wont read in the books  that  the Lynn meeting was fantastic  all you well see is the result...      So if we have to witness 15 G & G races  to win, then so be it.     We can prepare the track to entertain next year :t:  :cheers:

Totally DISAGREE good racing is much more important than any trophies, 

• Like 1

If your not confident your team can will on the most entertaining surface you can provide and doctor the track accordingly then you really need to look at something else to do and leave this great sport of ours alone. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Doctoring tracks is symptomatic of the win at all costs attitude which has contributed to the sports decline. Winning trophies is good for the hard core fans and glory hunters but does little to help the sport at large. Individual team success will be worth little if the sport continues to decline.

Nobody, potential new fans or, those who no longer go, will be enticed to attend in the future by gate and go racing when the play offs are televised. It is an opportunity when more people are going to attend at the tracks and to view on TV to show how good the sport can be, not to confirm many peoples preconception that whoever gates first wins.

Many condemn promoters for looking after their own interests rather than seeing the bigger picture and now some fans are doing exactly the same.

All teams have a preference for a particular type of track. Look what Somerset presented on tuesday. A one line track that one rider told me was like 

riding on the M1. NKI apart Kings Llynn perform better on a grippy surface. KL have got to the top of league without depending on maximums from

NKI.

Just now, Rickyb said:

Totally DISAGREE good racing is much more important than any trophies, 

I don't have a problem with that.   Everyone is entitled to their opinion.     54 years I have watch the Stars and have seen some brilliant racing,  but this time its all about winning that trophy.

4 minutes ago, ouch said:

If your not confident your team can will on the most entertaining surface you can provide and doctor the track accordingly then you really need to look at something else to do and leave this great sport of ours alone. 

Cheers!     Its not about confidence in our team,   its about competing on a level playing field,  do until others as they do to you.   Win by attrition .      Nobody loves speedway more than I , and if my opinions differ to yours then I'm sorry,   but I've waited too long  to miss another  golden opportunity .       We haven't had that many..... 

8 minutes ago, g13webb said:

I don't have a problem with that.   Everyone is entitled to their opinion.     54 years I have watch the Stars and have seen some brilliant racing,  but this time its all about winning that trophy.

Cheers!     Its not about confidence in our team,   its about competing on a level playing field,  do until others as they do to you.   Win by attrition .      Nobody loves speedway more than I , and if my opinions differ to yours then I'm sorry,   but I've waited too long  to miss another  golden opportunity .       We haven't had that many..... 

I do see your point and I too have watched the Stars since the Terry Betts days and would rather see good racing, but yes it would be nice to win a trophy so maybe I can put up with a couple of meetings like that

• Like 1

I’d say there is a difference between ‘doctoring’  a track and preparing it to the liking of home riders. The problem of course comes when a track like Somerset for example was one of the very best in the country and the prep is changed to leave one fast line round the inside. 

• Like 2

Win or lose in the semi final. We still ended up top.  That’s a big result for a little club like Lynn.

* Baggy have you heard the Daniel Farke rap on You Tube ?:D

3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Totally agree.

This stage of the season it's win at all costs mentality. Just has to be.

Buster has to have the lads in for practice days and have the lads 'rolling in the deep'.

To win the league you need to be a team and have a well rehearsed home advantage. Prepare the track and never alter it regardless of weather conditions. If there's bad weather, postpone the meeting, simple as that.

Play every card to your advantage.

This is King's Lynn's best chance for a long long time to change history. 

I'd go with that Daniel. It might be different if we had won it loads of times like Poole. But after 50 ish years i think?. We need to do anything legal that can help us to our 1st big title in the clubs history.

Talk the the riders, give then the track they want, get them in for plenty practice sessions on the track prepared as they want on race day. The last one as near to the meeting as you can get. They need to be sharp :t:.

Edited by Bald Bloke

4 hours ago, g13webb said:

Do onto others?

So if we produce a wonderful racetrack like that seen last night on tv, you will too?

6 hours ago, ouch said:

Do onto others?

So if we produce a wonderful racetrack like that seen last night on tv, you will too?

I'm all for that !!.    AS a speedway fan, I have always valued Belle Vue as a exceptional club.  Nobody was more pleased than I when you moved from that horrible track  at Kirkmanshulme (?) Lane, into that wonderful place you have now .  The NSS is a credit to everyone involved in the sport, a showpiece that others should be compared with.       With the exception of  NSS, I believe our track at Saddlebow Road, is comparable with any other in the country.    When prepared right, the racing can be from the top drawer.   Every rider has expressed his liking to race here and therefore our home advantage diminishes.  In a sport governed by fast machinery,  close racing is not always achievable. when it is , yes it is a sight to behold...      Watching heat 13  from NSS on Wed night,  it was a truly monumental race, probably equal to any I have seen,     but had you have asked a Rebels supporter,  would they have preferred a processional 5-1 in their favour, I'm sure the answer would have been yes.  

I have always placed Belle Vue on a pedestal , ever since they took on the BSPA to abolish rider control, in their determination to sign Ivan Mauger.   I have envied them for doing things  right.   They are an example for all clubs.  If Lynn cant achieve an honour then my second wish has always been Belle Vue..      So please  forgive me this one instance when,  I say  we have to do everything possible  to win this coveted title.    If that means preparing  a grippy track, then so be it.....

• Thanks 1

Our track would be comparable to most if a much less clay based and therefore less stock car friendly shale was used. Unfortunately the four wheeled residents are the cash cow at the stadium and therefore call the shots.

Simply put no stock cars  and bangers would mean no top flight speedway IMO. It’s a shame but just the way it is. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

I'm all for that !!.    AS a speedway fan, I have always valued Belle Vue as a exceptional club.  Nobody was more pleased than I when you moved from that horrible track  at Kirkmanshulme (?) Lane, into that wonderful place you have now .  The NSS is a credit to everyone involved in the sport, a showpiece that others should be compared with.       With the exception of  NSS, I believe our track at Saddlebow Road, is comparable with any other in the country.    When prepared right, the racing can be from the top drawer.   Every rider has expressed his liking to race here and therefore our home advantage diminishes.  In a sport governed by fast machinery,  close racing is not always achievable. when it is , yes it is a sight to behold...      Watching heat 13  from NSS on Wed night,  it was a truly monumental race, probably equal to any I have seen,     but had you have asked a Rebels supporter,  would they have preferred a processional 5-1 in their favour, I'm sure the answer would have been yes.  

I have always placed Belle Vue on a pedestal , ever since they took on the BSPA to abolish rider control, in their determination to sign Ivan Mauger.   I have envied them for doing things  right.   They are an example for all clubs.  If Lynn cant achieve an honour then my second wish has always been Belle Vue..      So please  forgive me this one instance when,  I say  we have to do everything possible  to win this coveted title.    If that means preparing  a grippy track, then so be it.....

What is nice for me about the play/offs is that i dont mind who wins the final.I personally cant see Poole winning it but the other three clubs have a great chance.Belle Vue is a club i have admired since the Dent Oliver days in a way  my second club King's Lynn ive liked since the Littlechild/Crane/ Bettsy era.Somerset have been a breath of fresh air and Poole are Poole seasoned winners. Going back to Lynn preparing there track it will be interesting if it is on the slick side for PUK as they need him firing to progress good luck to all four clubs.

Tracks should always be prepared to suit the home team, winning is all that counts as 99% of fans want to see their team winning, but! yes there is a but, it's also about entertainment and a gate and go track watched on TV will not bring in new fans, the same fans our sport is crying out for.

I believe this present K/Lynn team is more than capable of beating any of this seasons P/Off teams, so for the sake of our great sport let's hope for the semi's and the final that the weather is kind to us, the tracks are well prepared and the meetings are thrilling to watch.

Sadly I'm on hols when the 1st round of the semi's are taking place, so I won't be able to put some sugar in R Lamberts fuel ;), but my TV will be set on record and I can follow on updates, as long as I can get a signal.

Up the Aces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

What is nice for me about the play/offs is that i dont mind who wins the final.I personally cant see Poole winning it but the other three clubs have a great chance.Belle Vue is a club i have admired since the Dent Oliver days in a way  my second club King's Lynn ive liked since the Littlechild/Crane/ Bettsy era.Somerset have been a breath of fresh air and Poole are Poole seasoned winners. Going back to Lynn preparing there track it will be interesting if it is on the slick side for PUK as they need him firing to progress good luck to all four clubs.

Why do they need PUK firing, they have reached the top with him carrying a bad shoulder. Just prep the track to what it has been all season.

14 minutes ago, clambo71 said:

Why do they need PUK firing, they have reached the top with him carrying a bad shoulder. Just prep the track to what it has been all season.

Puk needs to be  supporting Robert in both legs for Kings Lynn to have any chance if he rides to the level he did against Leicester for me they will go out.I am a Puk fan so i hope he raises his game if he does Lynn have every chance.