British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Kings Lynn v Leicester Wednesday September 5th double header

15 hours ago, Aces51 said:

Doctoring tracks is symptomatic of the win at all costs attitude which has contributed to the sports decline. Winning trophies is good for the hard core fans and glory hunters but does little to help the sport at large. Individual team success will be worth little if the sport continues to decline.

Nobody, potential new fans or, those who no longer go, will be enticed to attend in the future by gate and go racing when the play offs are televised. It is an opportunity when more people are going to attend at the tracks and to view on TV to show how good the sport can be, not to confirm many peoples preconception that whoever gates first wins.

Many condemn promoters for looking after their own interests rather than seeing the bigger picture and now some fans are doing exactly the same.

Having a 'home advantage' is part and parcel of all sports, it adds to the drama.

Look at the Ryder Cup next week... The European team will make sure that Le National course is set up to their liking, and not for the big hitting Americans.

What about Davis Cup tennis? You think the Spanish teams choose to play their matches on clay not hardcourt just for fun? No.

When Liverpool played at Leicester at the weekend, you think it was coincidence that the pitch was dry as a bone and not conducive to a quick passing game? Even the Welsh Women's team narrowed the pitch when then played the England Lionesses the other night.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Puk needs to be  supporting Robert in both legs for Kings Lynn to have any chance if he rides to the level he did against Leicester for me they will go out.I am a Puk fan so i hope he raises his game if he does Lynn have every chance.

Well he has had a pretty poor season by all accounts but I believe he will put in that little bit extra effort in the play offs which could make all the difference. In a world where most sportsman only have loyalty to their back pocket, I think NKI is loyal to Kings Lynn and will pull out all the stops for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pointsmeanplayoffs said:

Having a 'home advantage' is part and parcel of all sports, it adds to the drama.

Look at the Ryder Cup next week... The European team will make sure that Le National course is set up to their liking, and not for the big hitting Americans.

What about Davis Cup tennis? You think the Spanish teams choose to play their matches on clay not hardcourt just for fun? No.

When Liverpool played at Leicester at the weekend, you think it was coincidence that the pitch was dry as a bone and not conducive to a quick passing game? Even the Welsh Women's team narrowed the pitch when then played the England Lionesses the other night.

I think there is a difference between a home advantage, most tracks have that and don't prepare the track differently for a particular meeting. My objection is to prepare the track differently to normal with the intention of catching out the opposition and in so doing to create a track that will result in processional racing, by making it too grippy or reducing it to one racing line. The play offs are attend and viewed by more people than other domestic meetings and the last thing we need if we are to attract new fans is to deliberately create boring racing.

2 hours ago, hyderd said:

Tracks should always be prepared to suit the home team, winning is all that counts as 99% of fans want to see their team winning, but! yes there is a but, it's also about entertainment and a gate and go track watched on TV will not bring in new fans, the same fans our sport is crying out for.

I believe this present K/Lynn team is more than capable of beating any of this seasons P/Off teams, so for the sake of our great sport let's hope for the semi's and the final that the weather is kind to us, the tracks are well prepared and the meetings are thrilling to watch.

Sadly I'm on hols when the 1st round of the semi's are taking place, so I won't be able to put some sugar in R Lamberts fuel ;), but my TV will be set on record and I can follow on updates, as long as I can get a signal.

Up the Aces.

I've been highly critical of the King's Lynn track hence why I no longer attend. The racing their is already pretty processional even when slick. 2 or 3 good races just don't justify my £18.

But, now the club is in the Play-Offs I think that this is a time any club has a right to prepare a track unfavourable to the away side. This is King's Lynn's best chance to win their FIRST EVER top flight league title. If King's Lynn can prepare a track to win their home meetings by 60+ I certainly would be very very happy in winning the league that way.

As they say, the track is the same for both teams. If the away side can't cope with it, tough tittie. This is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for many many Stars fans.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I've been highly critical of the King's Lynn track hence why I no longer attend. The racing their is already pretty processional even when slick. 2 or 3 good races just don't justify my £18.

But, now the club is in the Play-Offs I think that this is a time any club has a right to prepare a track unfavourable to the away side. This is King's Lynn's best chance to win their FIRST EVER top flight league title. If King's Lynn can prepare a track to win their home meetings by 60+ I certainly would be very very happy in winning the league that way.

As they say, the track is the same for both teams. If the away side can't cope with it, tough tittie. This is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for many many Stars fans.

It's amazing how polarised fans views can be because - "The racing there is already pretty processional even when slick. 2 or 3 good races just don't justify my £18" - I agree with entirely - although I have been 3 or 4 times this season, mostly as a "night out" with a friend. On those occasions, it has never justified my £15 ( being long in the tooth, I am a concession ).

BUT I could never condone track doctoring even if it were to win, for the first time ever, the top league title. And this is only a semi. No way for me would that be acceptable and I hope that Belle Vue don't do it either. I prefer two matches on two different, but normally prepared tracks where the victory goes to the best team of speedway racers. As it happens without any trick track setups, I believe that the Aces will just shade it. Then I hope that the playoff final, whoever is in it, is also run on decent tracks offering all riders a chance to race on fairly.

Better not to be televised if it is to be on trick tracks! Go Lambo Go - All the way for a fair Stars victory. Champions at Last!

Wish Adam rode that well for Swindon!

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Puk needs to be  supporting Robert in both legs for Kings Lynn to have any chance if he rides to the level he did against Leicester for me they will go out.I am a Puk fan so i hope he raises his game if he does Lynn have every chance.

No Niels don't go a lot on grippy tracks,   but usually by the time we get to heats 13 and 15  the track has slickened off, thus  allowing Robert and Niels to do their bit      Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that Lambert would reign supreme as he has this year.   He has been majestic in the way he shepherds other riders round, including Niels.  It makes no difference to Robert what the tracks are like,  he just rides them all the same.    

21 minutes ago, g13webb said:

No Niels don't go a lot on grippy tracks,   but usually by the time we get to heats 13 and 15  the track has slickened off, thus  allowing Robert and Niels to do their bit      Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that Lambert would reign supreme as he has this year.   He has been majestic in the way he shepherds other riders round, including Niels.  It makes no difference to Robert what the tracks are like,  he just rides them all the same.    

Worth the entrance money alone, our Robert. It's been a complete team effort though with everyone doing their bit, racing their hardest, they will get my money every time! 

On 9/6/2018 at 4:12 PM, g13webb said:

But what is more important,   brilliant races and losing, or  grippier track and winning.     That's a big question.  I have witness many years when our track was of no home advantage and the opposition loved to race here.   Yes, we have seen some wonderful races, but have won only a handful of  trophies, never the big one.    Now we have the opportunity to write our name in the history books, and to me any help from the track preparation would be most welcome.   You may depend that the Rebels and Poole will have their track to suit them .    I feel for Belle Vue because every rider loves the track and the home advantage is minimal, if they were to change it,  then it would be a handicap to BV as well..  

The only fact that is important is the score.   You wont read in the books  that  the Lynn meeting was fantastic  all you well see is the result...      So if we have to witness 15 G & G races  to win, then so be it.     We can prepare the track to entertain next year :t:  :cheers:

And this is what you said about last night's GP in Slovenia

3 hours ago, g13webb said:

That must be the worse SGP I've seen for sometime.    When our sport is struggling to promote its existence, why ever was it conceived to  have a top meeting here.  The track was an absolute disgrace that did nothing to enhance the sport at all.   A one line,  gate and go exercise, kills off more supporters than other reason.   It was a complete and utter joke.

You seem to have different opinions dependent upon whether it affects your team.

Doctor the track so that we have processional racing in a televised meeting that will attract lots of casual viewers and people to the track with the risk that they will probably never bother again to view or attend at any track but King's Lynn gain an advantage, or, produce entertainment where the best team on the night will win. Selfish self interest or the good of the sport at large?

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 7:00 PM, Rickyb said:

Totally DISAGREE good racing is much more important than any trophies, 

Sport is about winning mate. But there is a happy medium earlier in a league season.. However at this point of the season I hope we plough it up deep. Intimidate the opposition and get 10 points up in the 1st 4/5 races. No point setting yourself up to fail at this point. Or neutral venue 1 leg in the track that’s been voted track of the year. But no big attendances to reward the extra points money the successful teams have to pay. Would be a better spectical though. 

18 minutes ago, Booey boy said:

Tracks have been doctored to suit the home team from year dot so why start moaning now

It's not about doctoring tracks. It's about doctoring them so that they produce gate and go processional racing. 

We all agree the sport is in a perilous position and are quick to criticise promoters for looking after their interests and not seeing the bigger picture. Now we have a few fans doing exactly the same.

In the play offs in particular, because we hope to get the biggest TV and live audiences, we need to show how exciting the sport can be,  not provide boring racing like last night's GP. Nobody is going to be attracted by that type of racing.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Aces51 said:

You seem to have different opinions dependent upon whether it affects your team.

Doctor the track so that we have processional racing in a televised meeting that will attract lots of casual viewers and people to the track with the risk that they will probably never bother again to view or attend at any track but King's Lynn gain an advantage, or, produce entertainment where the best team on the night will win. Selfish self interest or the good of the sport at large?

Got to agree with what you say,but i would dearly love to see Lynn win the play-offs in my life time:).

Another think that makes the sport look a bit silly though is the actually play-offs.Talking to a few at work that don't go to speedway although i try to convince them.They can't believe you can do a whole league campaign and finish top and end up getting diddly squat for all your efforts.It's probably good for all fans that currently go,does it put off potential newcomers i don't know.

Anyway back to the Leicester meeting.Absolutely loved Hans giving it the big one at the end of heat 15 match 2.Sticking two fingers up to whoever was giving him stick on bend 1/2 then milking his win over Lambert/Iversen,then finally getting off his bike and giving a bow to the crowd.This certainly livened up the crowd and i for one would love to see more of this.Certainly improves the atmosphere and probably something 90% would love to see more often.Throw back to the good old days i think.

Edited by tellboy

9 hours ago, Aces51 said:

I know there's contradiction but the situations are different. As a whole the sport needs to be thrilling, wheel to wheel, handlebar bashing etc. It's everything we all crave as a spectacle and want it to happen week in week out. But, as a fan of the Stars, at this stage in the season, I really couldn't care less how we win these Play-Offs. We've never won the top flight title. If our home meetings were won 75-15 not a single home fan would care a jot, the focus for all is to simply see this club win the top flight title. It is the be all and end all. 

Yes, it's a contradiction, but at the end of the day the desperation for our club to finally be in the record books as league champions far outweigh the need for exciting meetings. That winning feeling will be exciting enough for all of us. 

• Like 1