British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dickie Head

Eastbourne v Kent NL. 1 Sept

Bit late I know but wanted to say well done Eagles especially Georgie. Getting a max tonight after last week’s smash was terrific. Kent looked jaded after Manchester last night and will have better nights. And by the way who did the announcing tonight. It was clear and precise and very professional. Is this guy permanent. Hope so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

Bit late I know but wanted to say well done Eagles especially Georgie. Getting a max tonight after last week’s smash was terrific. Kent looked jaded after Manchester last night and will have better nights. And by the way who did the announcing tonight. It was clear and precise and very professional. Is this guy permanent. Hope so.

He's the IOW announcer, taking a guest booking. He tells it how it is, which is all you need.

Georgie was fantastic all night, led from the front and went away, did two really quick times, and battled through in other races with some great brave overtakes especially considering his comments of feeling sore and nervous. He's really been what the NL has been all about for Eastbourne, seen him go from a novice reserve having come from grass track to a No 1, and exiting to watch at Arlington. Agree with the comments on the commentator, very clear and precise.

Some decent races toward the end of the meeting thankfully, the earlier races were so one sided that I couldn't believe we were racing against the "second best team in the league", according to the league table placings.

It is so apparent that this Eastbourne team is too strong for most of the NL teams, and the supporters can only put up with riders strung out over half a lap in many races. Eastbourne have to have some ambition and move out of the NL, hopefully the much mooted revamp of the league structure will enable this to happen. I'm sure there is plenty of appetite to see the likes of Nicholls, Harris, Cook, Morris, etc racing around Arlington again.

There were a couple of big positives from last night - one was the piece in the programme from the new commercial manager Ian Jordan, who is spelling it out like it is in no uncertain terms and sounds like a proper breath of fresh air. I really hope that he is given the space and resources needed to fulfil the ambitions in his article.

The other has already been aluded to - the presenter / announcer. This guy needs to be signed up permanently. Knowledgable, articulate, smooth and professional, a successor to Kevin Coombes at last. Something a newcomer would see as friendly and serious. It was all about the speedway, no poncy flashing shoes, selfies with 'me' or which side of the stadium has the loudest cheer. No 'matey', I'm a DJ doing a stand in, and certainly the end of 'Tommy B' thank goodness. 

Impressive display by Eastbourne and Georgie Wood was very impressive & determined. The track as set with alternative lines and the home riders knew what to do whilst Kent struggled to be competitive. Edwards has equally grown in stature as a rider and impressed. Not sure what the crowds have been like recently but certainly looked well down on previous visits?