British Speedway Forum
Racin Jason 72

What’s in a name ??

Hoddesdon Hammers could be a name to suggest - it keeps the "Hammers" name yet still bases some home value of Rye House but in this case, you use the place where the track is actually based 

• Like 2

Personally for me if club doesn’t keep some of its identity I wouldn’t bother going. I will try and get to a meeting or two this season and see how I feel about it. Lakeside / Arena Essex has always been my local team so I don’t think I would be able to just start supporting another team.

the race night is a massive positive wether you are from herts, Essex, surrey, Timbuctoo or anywhere

On 9/2/2018 at 10:24 AM, Robbo 403 said:

The important difference crowd wise will be the race night is not midweek.

This is the most important point for all speedway teams in the UK to ride on a day which is most profitable for the promotion.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:57 AM, Paulco said:

A lot of Monarchs fans wouldnt go because it was at Shawfield and we went to cheer for the opposition every week .

Especially when Coventry visited ;)

From memory Bees won with a team that included a certain S.Bowes.

1 hour ago, BigBoaby said:

Especially when Coventry visited ;)

From memory Bees won with a team that included a certain S.Bowes.

They did indeed , and the rider who held the track record when we left Shawfield - Brian Andersen 

On 2 September 2018 at 10:17 AM, redlead said:

Just a question, do many Lakeside fans travel to Rye House? also would enough travel to make it more viable than it was for Rye House? (I know that's 2 questions) lol.

On both occasions that the Hammers have run out of Rye, I have seen very few people sporting anything related to Rockets.  It's been mainly Hammers and Panthers fans in attendance.

Whilst we are still trying to get back to Essex, we should remain the Lakeside Hammers.  Most Essex fans will not travel further to support a Rye team or a team that isn't the Hammers.  Especially at a track that doesn't provide good racing. Also, Lakeside isn't that geographically specific like a city name would be.  

If the team can find a new home in Essex, the team should be called the Essex Hammers to get the entire county behind the team and increase the catchment area.

• Like 3